March 12th, 2012 | EarthBound, Hacking, MOTHER 1, Videos

There’s a new video up of the EarthBound Zero remake hack that’s in progress. It’s still extremely rough and mostly placeholder stuff for now, but you can see things slowly coming together. Here’s what H.S says about this video:

EarthBound Zero has the Big Bag item, which restores the same amount of HP as a Magic Herb, and has 30 uses (or charges, if you will). The problem is, this type of mechanic doesn’t exist in EarthBound. In EarthBound, an item is either one-time use, or can be used infinitely. There’s no in-between… normally.

I got the idea for this after I saw how the game handled the effects for the Teddy Bear or Flying Man dying. I thought that this was something that could be modified to have interesting applications in gameplay.

As before, the video features a random selection of enemies wandering the area. Also, test rom, demonstration, not representative of actual gameplay balance, etc.

I’m not 100% sure how it works, but I’m thinking maybe it’s being implemented by giving the Big Bag like 30 HP and then reducing it by one with each use. If so, that’s clever thinking!

Anyway, I’m not involved so don’t quote me or anything, but the project probably still has at least a few more years until it’s anywhere near done and polished. But if you want to help or if you want to follow its progress, see here!

13 Comments to EB0 Remake: Big Bag Implementation

Gooptek said on Mar. 12, 2012

Whoa, what a nice system! You guys are EPIC!

BigDream said on Mar. 12, 2012

Holy cow! I can’t wait for this to be finished as soon as possible! GREAT JOB ON IT!!!

blahmoomoo said on Mar. 12, 2012

Here is what H.S. said in the thread about the implementation of limited use items:

“The interesting thing about it is that there wasn’t actually any ASM hacking required, it was all done with flags and control codes. That also means that this effect is something that could be easily inserted into other hacks.

“It works fine in gameplay, though when it comes to items that you can carry multiple copies of (like the flamethrower), the logic of the system might seem strange. Since it just uses a set of global “Flamethrower flags”, it doesn’t matter which flamethrower you use, if you happen to have multiple ones in Lloyd’s inventory. Once you’ve used any flamethrower 3 times, it will delete one from Lloyd’s inventory.”

Sounds pretty clever, considering how he managed it without ASM hacking. It would just be a bit funky if you had multiple limited time use items.

He also said:

“You could have a unique item with 10 charges, and then make an option to pay an NPC to “refill” it for you (which is really just turning off all the flags associated with the item’s use). Or, you could make a separate one-time-use item that refills the charges.”

All of this is on the following page:

TragicManner said on Mar. 12, 2012

Brilliant! I love reading about things like this.

Thanks blahmoomoo for sharing his update from the forums. This more or less confirms to me that Tomato’s suspicions are correct as to how this all works. At least I think so, haha.

But all the same, creating a mechanic that doesn’t exist in a game using existing game mechanics is pretty awesome, and happens a lot more in the industry than most people realize. So it makes sense to see it here as well!

RandomGuardian said on Mar. 12, 2012

Wow. I think this is a giant step forward. There is no turning back now.

The World Is Square said on Mar. 12, 2012

No ASM hacking? That is mighty impressive! I might have to ask H.S. if I can borrow this mechanic for Unearthed.

H.S said on Mar. 12, 2012

The World is Square:
Sure, you can use it. I’ll PM you the details later.

Poster said on Mar. 13, 2012

I’m really impressed. Wish I was this talented.

TheMrSaturnGuy said on Mar. 13, 2012

I can’t wait to play this! It’s Earthbound 0 Remastered on Earthbound!

SomeUser said on Mar. 13, 2012

I just realized that the winning theme from Earthbound (and maybe Mother 3, I don’t remember) is the first part of the level up jingle in Earthbound Zero. Y’know, the part that goes like “da-na-na-naaaaa-naaaaaa”.

Earth Saturn said on Mar. 14, 2012

This is looking really good. I hope it gets finished. Good luck to everyone involved in the project!

SmaMan said on Mar. 19, 2012

I could see this being used in a sort of Resident Evil-like EB hack where you find weapons and clips for the weapons can refill the supply and such. A lot of neat possibilities!

H.S said on Mar. 22, 2012

SmaMan:
Heh, that’s a pretty neat idea.