MOTHER 3 Prices on the Rise
Dr. Fedora helped translate some of the MOTHER 3 stuff very early on in the fan translation project. He recently posted some of his thoughts and translation notes, which you can check out here!
Here’s a sample:
Fassad’s English name has a surprisingly unexciting origin. The Japanese name Yokuba/ヨクバ is basically derived from the word for “ambition” or “greed” (“yokubari”/欲張り), and that just didn’t work in English. So I asked a friend of mine, one night, to help bounce ideas back and forth. I figured he was studying Arabic in college and coule help out, so I asked him what various words were when translated into Arabic. After a couple of nonstarters, I tried, “What’s ‘corruption’ in Arabic?” and his answer, “fassad,” sounded sufficiently Arabian-y (given the character’s appearance), as well as just being ever so perfect on multiple levels (given its Arabic meaning as well as the fact that it sounds a whole lot like “façade,” which is ridiculously appropriate on, itself, at least two different levels). And that’s why Ben Cocchiaro is credited under “Special Thanks.” Thanks, Ben.
I’m amazed he remembers so much, it’s been like what, four or five years since then? Man, time flies 😯
As you might recall, I started to write a bunch of translation notes after the patch’s release (see here), but it wound up being so time-consuming that I died. I still think about it regularly though, so there’s still hope for it someday!
Other Related Posts:
15 Comments to Some MOTHER 3 Translation Notes
Featured Item on eBay:
- DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
- cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.