Random Post:

IGN Plays MOTHER 3
 EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE

February 1st, 2012 | MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge

Dr. Fedora helped translate some of the MOTHER 3 stuff very early on in the fan translation project. He recently posted some of his thoughts and translation notes, which you can check out here!

Here’s a sample:

Fassad’s English name has a surprisingly unexciting origin. The Japanese name Yokuba/ヨクバ is basically derived from the word for “ambition” or “greed” (“yokubari”/欲張り), and that just didn’t work in English. So I asked a friend of mine, one night, to help bounce ideas back and forth. I figured he was studying Arabic in college and coule help out, so I asked him what various words were when translated into Arabic. After a couple of nonstarters, I tried, “What’s ‘corruption’ in Arabic?” and his answer, “fassad,” sounded sufficiently Arabian-y (given the character’s appearance), as well as just being ever so perfect on multiple levels (given its Arabic meaning as well as the fact that it sounds a whole lot like “façade,” which is ridiculously appropriate on, itself, at least two different levels). And that’s why Ben Cocchiaro is credited under “Special Thanks.” Thanks, Ben.

I’m amazed he remembers so much, it’s been like what, four or five years since then? Man, time flies 😯

As you might recall, I started to write a bunch of translation notes after the patch’s release (see here), but it wound up being so time-consuming that I died. I still think about it regularly though, so there’s still hope for it someday!

15 Comments to Some MOTHER 3 Translation Notes

man said on Feb. 1, 2012

It’s such a damn genius name. I love it.

Gabriel said on Feb. 1, 2012

I still hope you’ll come back to the translation notes someday, even if it is YEARS from now. XD

Carl said on Feb. 1, 2012

His not about the Bitey Snake is interesting. It sounds like some kind of play on “biting time”/”biding time” might have worked there.

Mato said on Feb. 1, 2012

Yeah, that was probably one of the toughest names to work with. I asked for help on the forums way back when and even then it seemed like people had a tough time with it.

kenisu said on Feb. 1, 2012

OOH YAY I’ve been dying for more of this stuff!

LakituAl said on Feb. 1, 2012

I like how his paragraph about Ocho has the 8th footnote.

Nick97 said on Feb. 1, 2012

I was wondering what happened to those translation notes of yours, Mato. They were an interesting read, I’d love to see them continued someday, if you can find the time. I guess that’s always the biggest issue. 😛 When I find some time of my own, I’ll have give this a look through.

Doctor Fedora said on Feb. 1, 2012

Holy crap, I was about to email you about this to let you know about it. ^^

Glad that people are enjoying this! I mostly felt like it was a thing I should write about at some point, since I know all too well from experience that it is a series that everyone is always dying for just a little more information about.

How’d you even find out about it?

Doctor Fedora said on Feb. 1, 2012

Also, ugh, thanks for quoting the paragraph with the most egregiously obvious typo available (“coule”) ; )

(it’s fixed now on the other end)

gBev said on Feb. 1, 2012

Geez, I can’t believe it’s been almost four years. I just finished my first playthrough in a while yesterday, the translation still feels incredible in both its attention to detail and the fact it all actually came together.

I’m still hoping we’ll see more of the translation notes/unused content stuff one day. 😛

blanonymous said on Feb. 1, 2012

interesting stuff, I had no idea about the graveyard. I also feel like a horrible person because I just came up with the name “chowderdead”
like chowderhead
but dead because it’s
graveyard
….

anyway hey gBev, sup dude? where ya been?

Mato said on Feb. 1, 2012

Dr. Fedora: A couple people submitted news about it last night, sounds like your fans are quick to share stuff 😛

I gotta admit, seeing all that makes me want to get back into doing my own notes. I had wanted to go into really good detail with my notes but I’ll probably have to tone down the detail if I’m actually gonna get anywhere with it.

Doctor Fedora said on Feb. 1, 2012

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it

Poe said on Feb. 2, 2012

yeah, hey gbev!! 😀

gBev said on Feb. 5, 2012

Actually seeing the notes would be great, in any level of detail. 😀

And hi everyone!