Shigesato Itoi, Giygas, and Boobies
After my update yesterday about the EarthBound Zero Map Viewer, H.S quickly discovered that the path leading up to Mt. Itoi is different in MOTHER 1 and EarthBound Zero. The EarthBound Zero version was greatly simplified so the player couldn’t get lost. The MOTHER 1 version was made TO get lost – so essentially an entire challenging part of the game was taken out:
MOTHER 1 Path:
EarthBound Zero / MOTHER 1+2 Path:
This wasn’t the only map simplification in the game though – the underground cave in Magicant also got made easier, as seen here.
I think these changes are interesting, but I wonder what spurred these specific changes on. Were they complaints from Japanese players, or complaints from play testers of the English version? And I wonder if anything else on the map was changed too…
Other Related Posts:
17 Comments to Pre-Mt. Itoi Path Differences
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?