Mr. Saturn Says, “This is a test.”
After my update yesterday about the EarthBound Zero Map Viewer, H.S quickly discovered that the path leading up to Mt. Itoi is different in MOTHER 1 and EarthBound Zero. The EarthBound Zero version was greatly simplified so the player couldn’t get lost. The MOTHER 1 version was made TO get lost – so essentially an entire challenging part of the game was taken out:
MOTHER 1 Path:
EarthBound Zero / MOTHER 1+2 Path:
This wasn’t the only map simplification in the game though – the underground cave in Magicant also got made easier, as seen here.
I think these changes are interesting, but I wonder what spurred these specific changes on. Were they complaints from Japanese players, or complaints from play testers of the English version? And I wonder if anything else on the map was changed too…
Other Related Posts:
17 Comments to Pre-Mt. Itoi Path Differences
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...
- Kasumi: Or maybe it’s wordplay. EARTHBOUND FAN-atic rather than Earthbound Fanatic
- James: Not to be that guy, buuuuuut–“fan-uh-t ic.” I guess someone over at Fangamer had a little brain fart. THAT SAID, I’m...