Earthbound Mother 2 embroidered patch classic video game Ness Giygas

February 18th, 2012 | Auctions, EarthBound

Got a heck of a deal for you EarthBound fans today: EarthBound cardboard insert for only $109!

Indeed, the bit of cardboard that holds the cart inside the box can be yours for only $109!

…I feel an EarthBound rage face would be appropriate here but none exist. Also, I’d love to see someone do a parody TV commercial for this :P

53 Comments to Piece of Cardboard only $109!

Satsy said on Feb. 18, 2012

“For those with too much money who are sticklers for a complete collection! Waste your savings now!”

Is it even really a ‘complete’ collection if you’re just turning your copy into a frankenstein?

Nathalie said on Feb. 18, 2012

I don’t even. No proof that an EarthBound cartridge ever was inside that piece of cardboard. Could’ve been a crappy game, too, who knows. But still, this is too weird and too much. It has to be a joke…

Poe said on Feb. 18, 2012

What happened to the rest of this guy’s EarthBound?

Satsy – Yeah, you can Frankenstein yourself a complete copy of anything, it just won’t be “mint” if you do that. To call something “mint” means it includes all of the original pieces that came with it.

lazarus said on Feb. 18, 2012

Okay, that’s it. After seventeen years of increasing absurdity, the state of EarthBound secondhand sales has finally gone full retard.

You NEVER go full retard.

LucasPSI said on Feb. 18, 2012

Really?… I know earthbound is rare but its not that rare…

16bitKaiju said on Feb. 18, 2012

Funny how I got a like-new cart for less than that.(69 GBP).
Is the seller insane? We have no proof that what he is selling is the original and I don’t think anybody would pay that much for a piece of cardboard.

Dave said on Feb. 18, 2012
Sonic underground said on Feb. 18, 2012

I need that!… i guess…

resetsurvivor said on Feb. 18, 2012

Such a high price for such an obscure item… it almost feels like something you could actually buy in EarthBound.

Dialga Thunderstar said on Feb. 18, 2012

Right now, you can get a worthless piece of cardboard for only 109!!!

DD said on Feb. 18, 2012

oh, man. That person must be desperate for some money.

This would have made a good april fools joke.

kenisu said on Feb. 18, 2012

“But wait, there’s more! Order now and you’ll also receive… the plastic the game was wrapped in!!”

…For an additional $50.

FlintsDoorknob said on Feb. 18, 2012

Whoever buys this doesn’t deserve to have money.

Onion said on Feb. 18, 2012

How much to get this VGA graded?

Pigmask Private said on Feb. 18, 2012

Believe it or not guys, this insert is actually pretty valuable. The large-size insert is sought after by completionist collectors since they were only made for the three or four big-box SNES games. Granted, I don’t think it’s with that much but I wouldn’t be surprised if a desperate completionist buys this without realizing you can buy a CIB copy of Mario Paint for a ton cheaper and use the insert out of that.

Onion said on Feb. 18, 2012

Good point. How can we be sure this didn’t come from a Mario Paint box?

Jason said on Feb. 18, 2012

This has gone beyond absurdity. This is happening because of EB fans. This was not a rare game. Stop the insanity.

Halloween said on Feb. 18, 2012

Whew at least it’s But It Now!
Come home to papa sweet, plain, useless cardboard!

Schlupi said on Feb. 18, 2012

What an amazing deal!

Ivazaris said on Feb. 18, 2012

Actually pigmask private, quite A few big box video games were made back in the day, not just A few. This box could cost about $4-$6 at most.

Ivazaris said on Feb. 18, 2012

Not to mention there isn’t even any proof this box is for an earthbound game, making the price drop even more.

Ninten said on Feb. 18, 2012

okay it’s offical. we earthbound fans are so crazy, will buy that useless piece of cardboard that no one cares about for 109 dollars, but only if it held earthbound.

KingDarian said on Feb. 18, 2012

I cried when $100 cardboard sold on eBay.

(also, it’s no longer available for sale)

kal said on Feb. 18, 2012

seems legit.

FlintsDoorknob said on Feb. 18, 2012

And then an entire fanbase facepalmed and felt much better about their spending habits.

DaL33T said on Feb. 18, 2012

I paid around $120 for my copy of EarthBound, but at LEAST it’s a working video game, not a piece of cardboard!

RandomGuardian said on Feb. 19, 2012

It’s official! The number of Earthbounders out numbers the game itself so much that even the damn insert cardboard is super-inflated! What’s next? Buy now! A starman drawn on a business card with a glitter pen! Only 240 dollars!

Clapton said on Feb. 19, 2012

Oh man…If a CARDBOARD BOX is going for this high, and the normal game for 4k… How much would one of those beta cartridges cost?

blan said on Feb. 19, 2012

the sad thing is that this probably costs about five cents to make

hahaha watch out guys, the big bad counterfeiters are gonna catch on soon

? said on Feb. 19, 2012

C’MON GUYS HUURRY IT’S RARE!!!

Stevesesy said on Feb. 19, 2012

Tomato, this is your fault.I blame you and your stupid site that links to all the EB auctions and causes inflation.

Mato said on Feb. 19, 2012

BARF

Anonymous said on Feb. 19, 2012

Wow, I’ve always wanted a PIECE OF CARDBOARD SLIGHTLY RELATED TO EARTHBOUND!

DJMankiewicz said on Feb. 19, 2012

[quote]LucasPSI said on Feb. 18, 2012
Really?… I know earthbound is rare but[/quote]

Let me stop ya right there. Unfortunately even among fans there’s a bit of a myth there. This game was heavily pushed by Nintendo (even if they managed to avoid the most important place to put the ads, television) when it came out and they went all-in and made a TON of copies. This game could be found EVERYWHERE for a good amount of time after it came out. There’s a huge number of copies out there. Heck there’s probably a few hidden warehouse stashes sitting around too. Lufia 2 is a rare game (good game, and a GLITCHY one, I have it actually). Panzer Dragoon Saga is a rare game. The NES Earthbound Prototype cart is rare. Earthbound is not rare.

As evidence I submit that there has never been a time on eBay where there are less than a dozen copies being sold. Just check this site’s scrounger. You’ll see a huge number of them. If it was that rare, you could go months between even one copy showing up. We’ve yet to even reach “Peak Earthbound”.

In other words, it’s that high only because people are willing to pay that much. If we want to lower it, we (meaning both Earthbound fans and video game collectors in general) need to all collectively decide to not pay these prices (except for a truly mint condition version). Mind you, even that may not work. I get the impression a lot of these sales are to OTHER sellers who think they can make a profit by selling it for just a bit more.

As a collector I often avoid recreation carts (never sure on the quality of those) but an acurate recreation of the box? That’d be perfectly fine with me and, I assume, a lot of people. Of course, if such a thing were done we’d want to go straight to the source because we all know if someone bought one to sell it on eBay, they’d claim it was an original.

DD said on Feb. 19, 2012

This is officially my newest favorite article on Earthbound Central. I got such a good laugh out of it. :p

RandomGuardian said on Feb. 19, 2012

@DJMan theres a problem with that idea though. Look how many people want a physical Earthbound cart. Now look at how many carts are floating around for sale. It’s simple supply and demand. True, the prices are inflated, but thats only because no new copies are being printed. The fact that Earthbound has never had a re-release jacks these prices up. LoZ Link to the Past never had prices in the hundreds because everyone who likes he game most likely owns it in one form or another.

Speedy_Fox_IV said on Feb. 20, 2012

I find this funny as it is still not the most ridiculous thing that I have seen somebody try to sell on ebay.

SandvichParty said on Feb. 20, 2012

what

TheMrSaturnGuy said on Feb. 21, 2012

It’s a piece of cardboard…that’s $109….
what.

Poe said on Feb. 21, 2012

Don’t worry – nobody bought it. 2 offers were declined and then the seller ended the auction.

Mach Pizza Crescent Freshner said on Feb. 21, 2012
Anonymous said on Feb. 21, 2012

Ha, good one ↑

Anonymous said on Feb. 22, 2012

Oh, and good thing nobody bought that.

GiegueFanboy said on Feb. 22, 2012

What

landyn said on Feb. 27, 2012

Im gonna buy it.

Anonymous2 said on Feb. 28, 2012

I just realized I have the box for EB sitting down in my basement, only problem is its like flattened out, saw another one with part of the picture ripped off going for over 100 on ebay… i feel stupid since i sold my cartridge for 65 on craigslist last year :( needed the cash badly

Anonymous2 said on Feb. 28, 2012

I just wanted to warn you guys that there are some boxes going on ebay that are obvious reproductions… it even states “this brand new display box replaces your lost or destroyed…” and so on, and some poor guy has a bid for 50 bucks on it, i feel bad theres no way for me to contact them to let me know they are getting ripped off

Johnwalt said on Feb. 28, 2012

That looks new… I doubt its a real Earthbound box.

ness286 said on Mar. 3, 2012

dsi or box?

Dr.Steve said on Mar. 15, 2012

I need this right now. Need to buy the box though.

Jon said on Mar. 18, 2012

The fact that somebody would pay (or even offer to pay) $110 just for a piece of cardboard that could’ve held any random game just because someone said that it held EarthBound is EXACTLY why EarthBound is so God damn expensive.
Some EarthBound fans would buy Shigasato Itoi’s used tissues for $50 if they ever ended up on Ebay (and likely resell them for double that price).

Mr.Fobby said on Mar. 20, 2012

i..

Captain Burrito said on Apr. 8, 2012

This makes me sad that i threw my oversized Earthbound box away. I had no storage space back in those days and it being extra big just annoyed me. :(