Shigesato Itoi Fishes for Comedy
Chewy’s translated an interesting interview with two of the main programmers for MOTHER 2/Earthbound, Satoru Iwata and Kouji Malta. It was printed in Famitsu back in 1994, and you can check it out here!
Here’s a tidbit:
— What specific parts gave you a hard time?
Malta I’d say the delivery man.
Iwata There’s a special system for a delivery man in the game. One comes to bring you items you weren’t able to carry before, and one is a pizza delivery man. This is something that has to reach the player at any stage in the game. It was a really reckless idea—the delivery man can’t just pass through walls that the player can’t walk through, so we had to make him able to navigate the map for himself.
In fact, that’s something we took a look at some months ago: EarthBound’s Delivery System
Read the rest of the intereview here!
Other Related Posts:
6 Comments to MOTHER 2 Programmer Interview
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...
- Nessential: The stock is still pending listing, but you can find it on Bloomberg here: https://www.bloomberg.com/quot e/3560:JP I might buy some of...