February 7th, 2012 | EarthBound, Images

Demetre submitted this recently:

I’ve been looking around for the past year or so for EarthBound or Mother related backgrounds and have only come across 5 or 6 at the most, some of which aren’t the greatest but still it’s Earthbound. The attached file is what I currently use now but I just wish there were more. Do you know of any place where I could look, or anywhere that people would be interested in making some for the community. I understand it’s not that big of an issue, just something that would be nice around to have around.

(click for full size)

I’ve actually wondered this for a while too. I know there’s a Desktop section on Starmen.Net that’s woefully neglected, but are there any other EarthBound/MOTHER desktop depositories out there? If you know of any, share them here!

17 Comments to Looking for EarthBound Desktops

platinatina said on Feb. 7, 2012

I have always had trouble with this in the past. There is never enough hi-res Mother art that I can use for backgrounds, and most of the ones I find are… pretty… eeehhhh. I’m very picky about desktops though, being an artist myself.

This person on Pixiv has /excellent/ and adorable Mother art that makes great wallpapers, though! I love their stuff.

man said on Feb. 7, 2012

Fnar, there are craploads of Mother wallpapers out there.

…but I dunno where you’d find them, I mainly come across them while browsing 4Chan 😐

This is one of my favourites: http://i.imgur.com/8wODI.jpg

Animegame97 said on Feb. 7, 2012

I made my own, but I had to wipe my computer and I forgot to back it up :-/

GiegueFanboy said on Feb. 7, 2012

As my name suggests, I have a picture of Giegue as my wallpaper.

MikAve94 said on Feb. 7, 2012
Dosei-San said on Feb. 7, 2012

@Man. that picture is on the back of a fan-made mother soundtrack. I have a copy of it :3

Dave said on Feb. 7, 2012

I find that Google Images works wonders for things like this… Search “earthbound wallpaper”, or just “earthbound” plus the size function on the left.

Also, this is incredibly off-topic, but if you asked this same question but about Katamari Damacy, here is what I’d reply with: http://katamaridamacy.jp/tribute/katamaridamacy/pre.html

BigDream said on Feb. 7, 2012

AWESOME!

Kyle said on Feb. 7, 2012

here are the ones I have:

enjoy!

questionsleep said on Feb. 8, 2012

I usually use fan or official art, including sprites/maps, to make my own wallpaper. Actually my current wallpaper is an enlarged Mother 2 intro screenshot, “GYIYG STRIKES BACK!”.
Looking specifically for “[insertfranchise] desktops” is only ever disappointing for me. I recently uploaded a big EB wp collection I use, for some friends to Megaupload, but they’re down now, otherwise I’d share it with you all.

-Pixiv and other art sites are good resource. Search in both English and Japanese to make sure you find everything.
-Google image search for “EarthBound” or “MOTHER2 ギーグの逆襲” or whatever you’re looking for, then sort images by Large on the left.
-Crop/change sizes/modify in-game maps. There are maps available around the net for all EB locations.
-The official Mother 3 site had/has some pretty wallpapers that are calendars, but are essentially customised maps/screenshots from the game.
-Use EB fansites/official sites backgrounds as your wallpaper. I remember getting at least 2 versions of the giant mother earth logo from various special Starmen.net subsites.

This is partly how I go about getting images for just about anything.

Leeaux said on Feb. 8, 2012

I have two on my website, encounter pigmask, and unexpected travels, (a pigmask and lucas in the fridge) at http://www.fromleo.com

If anyone would like the 1920X1200 versions you can email me at spammandeluxe@gmail.com

FlyingManCourage said on Feb. 8, 2012

How do you share Windows 7 themes? I spend a lot of time making different themes and scouring the internet for high resolution images to use as backgrounds. I set it to scroll like a slide show, changing backgrounds every 10 seconds.

The EarthBound theme that I have currently has 60 EarthBound backgrounds and 7 Mother 3 backgrounds. Most of the EarthBound backgrounds are actually just fan art pieces I found at Starmen.net, etc.

I also use the EarthBound desktop icons that you can get from Starmen.net. Sadly, I’m not really sure how to share. Anybody have any thoughts?

Pepper said on Feb. 8, 2012

Had the same problem so I make my own as well. I like simple wallpapers so I typically use fanart placed against a solid colored background. I used a Lucas picture by illustrashawn for a long time and now I’m using a Ness fanart. Obviously I don’t distribute them as it’s not my art, just a personal thing.

Sometimes I’ll use Earthbound patterns, like the checkered one at the character naming screen. But 99% of the time it’s pretty fanart.

NPC said on Feb. 8, 2012

@FlyingManCourage: In the Windows 7 Personalization window, right-click a theme, then left-click “Save theme for sharing”; doing so will turn the theme into a .themepack file. Of course, you’ll have to upload the theme somewhere for downloading, but that shouldn’t be too big of a problem!

James said on Feb. 8, 2012

I made this myself with minimal effort (inspired by the Mother 3i cover), and I use a similar version for my phone’s lock screen.

The Great Morgil said on Feb. 11, 2012

For several years now, I’ve been using this one as the background on my laptop, my cell phone, and my zune. I’ve been tempted to change it to something else a few times, but for one reason or another, i never do.