February 16th, 2012 | Itoi, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

I just realized I never really made a post about Shigesato Itoi’s non-MOTHER games. As many fans know, he also did some bass fishing game stuff, but for some reason people think he only made one bass fishing game. He actually made two, one for the Super Famicom and one for the Nintendo 64.

I won’t go into the super specific details or differences between them, for now let’s just take a look at the games:

Shigesato Itoi’s Bass Fishing No. 1

And here’s the commercial for it:

Shigesato Itoi’s Bass Fishing No. 1 Definitive Edition

The Super Famicom game did well and was a big part of the “bass fishing boom” of the late 90s, but Nintendo printed way too many copies of the N64 game, so it wound up in bargain bins quickly. I can’t find any videos of it, so here are some screenshots, which were also very hard to find:

If anyone has the game and can get more screenshots and videos, let me know!

Here’s the commercial for this one, thanks to KingDarian for pointing it out to me:

There was also a fishing rod-like accessory for the N64 game:

So there you go! His two bass fishing games! I see them on eBay every once in a while, so if you’re interested in picking a copy up (they’re usually really cheap) see here!

Would you want to see any of these games fan-translated? Vote here!

POLL: Would you want to see these fishing games fan translated?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

23 Comments to Itoi’s Bass Fishing Games

Soulier said on Feb. 16, 2012

I have the Super Famicom one. I found it in Japan two years ago for 300 yen!

Vern said on Feb. 16, 2012

Any particular reason he was drawn to bass fishing games?

Vern said on Feb. 16, 2012

Sorry for the double post, but the super famicon cart looks like it has a slot for a game boy cart, kinda like a super game boy?

Mato said on Feb. 16, 2012

He was always an avid bass fisher and was famous for it. So it was like a natural thing for him to create.

I never did understand what that slot is for, maybe someone else can explain.

? said on Feb. 16, 2012

It was supposed to be add on pedestal for your tissue box because it’s the first fishing game designed to make you cry.

KingDarian said on Feb. 16, 2012
OKeijiDragon said on Feb. 16, 2012

@Mato I think its a slot for Nintendo Power cartridges.

No not the magazine, but a distribution service only in Japan where you can buy and download cheap versions of Super Famicom games (or perhaps content for SF games) from kiosks at a Japanese 7-eleven or Larson convenience store, onto a small little NP cartridge. You of course needed the cartridge adapter to play these certain cartridges.

Maybe Itoi Bass Fishing had that slot so you can upload content from an NP cart and get stuff in for the game. Just hazarding a guess here.

OKeijiDragon said on Feb. 16, 2012

Wait a second, I just realized something.

Has anyone else thought that maybe Shigesato Itoi’s Bass Fishing 64 could have any sort of graphic assets or anything from the N64 version of MOTHER 3? I’d love to find out sometime.

Jason said on Feb. 16, 2012

So Itoi’s fishing games didn’t make it to the US? The bass fishing boom made it here, but I never understood it. I don’t think anyone else understood it either, lol

Halloween said on Feb. 16, 2012

wow those are some great SNES graphics.
Do the games have a good story?

Dialga Thunderstar said on Feb. 16, 2012

Fish, fish! FIIIIISH!!!

Toboar said on Feb. 17, 2012

Please translate!

Naja said on Feb. 17, 2012

“but Nintendo printed way too many copies of the N64 game, so it wound up in bargain bins quickly”

True, I bought a mint complete copy of it for… 1 yen! The thing was on auction on Yahoo!Japan and nobody bidded, so I just paid 1 yen + fees, shipping, etc. 1 yen is less than a cent…

Mato said on Feb. 17, 2012

Man, I wish 1 yen WAS less than a cent. The exchange rate’s gone bonkers these past few years 🙁

METC said on Feb. 17, 2012

yeah, currently 1 yen is ~1.3 U.S. cents

Neko Knight said on Feb. 17, 2012

Funny the guy named himself “BOO” in the first game, there’s actually an enemy from Super Mario World called, “Fishin’ Boo” !
Anywho, I think that the N64 version looks really fun and I would like to play it some time.
And maybe Itoi-san could make another Bass Fishing game with MOTHER stuff in it for like the Wii or Wii U or something. That would be nice!

Naja said on Feb. 17, 2012

METC: No, not 100 yen… 1 yen! I bought Itoi’s bass fishing game for N64 for 1 yen!

Mato: yeah I guess 1 yen is now a little above 1 cent, but back then it was like a quarter of a cent.

Naja said on Feb. 17, 2012

METC: sorry, I ready your message wrong. Correct, it’s now about 1.3 US cents.

AtomHeartMother said on Feb. 18, 2012

I’m not exactly a huge bass fishing game fan, but I suppose it would be pretty cool to see these games translated, see if they have some of that witty humor Itoi is know for :p

Anonymous said on Feb. 20, 2012

Here is some more gameplay for the 64 one.

Anonymous said on Feb. 20, 2012

Here is some more gameplay for the 64 one.

PriestessPaula said on Jul. 29, 2012

@OKeijiDragon I just want to correct you, but the Nintendo Power cartridges were normal cart shaped. This seems to have something to do with the satellaview, maybe for saving and showing what kind of fish you got to other players, but I haven’t a clue.

DvorakElt said on Jul. 29, 2012

From what I heard the slot was indeed to do with the stellaveiw and was used to host custom tournaments.

I have a CIB copy of the N64 version, so if there are any particular assets of the game people are interested in, I can upload them. I don’t have a capture card though, so I can’t take good video of it.