February 29th, 2012 | Itoi

The last leap day in 2008, Shigesato Itoi posted on his daily update about how everyone should do crazy stuff and slack off from their duties (see here).

To my disappointment, he didn’t mention it again in his update this year… but wait, this year he has an entire section of his site about it! It’s all in Japanese, but you can see the pictures here – basically, he makes it a rule at his office that all employees have to slack off as much as humanly possible.

14 Comments to Itoi-Style Leap Day Returns

B-rad said on Feb. 29, 2012

They should have a day where all they do is make Mother games
I’d be down with that! At least I can dream…

Skulryk said on Feb. 29, 2012

Does Itoi secretly write for 30 Rock? because they just had an episode about Leap Day as the day you should do all the crazy things you wouldn’t normally do. They even had a fake Jim Carrey movie!

Leeaux said on Feb. 29, 2012

The man’s a visionary!

Bionic said on Feb. 29, 2012

Speaking of leap day, another Earthbound poster just appeared on eBay along with an anthology and a couple of other rare things. Man, it must be a lucky day today for Earthbound collectors! 🙂

DD said on Feb. 29, 2012

Dang, I wish my college was more like this! Who wouldn’t be happy to have a day where you can slack off as much as you want?

Spring break doesn’t count! We still get loads of work over it.

Kyosuke said on Feb. 29, 2012

I always thought that “copywriter” was a pseudo translation, but it turns out it’s correct: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copywriting

If I ever have my own company, I’ll make it so February 29th is the only day we DON’T act weird. ;D

KingDarian said on Feb. 29, 2012

I want to work for Itoi.

(I find it surprising that the banner for Star Wars is entirely in English)

(…and what is Eggs’n Things?)

BigDream said on Feb. 29, 2012

OY, ITOI!

Soulier said on Feb. 29, 2012

When I start hiring employees at my company, I’ll make sure to base some of my human resources practices on Itoi’s company!

Mr. Nosy said on Feb. 29, 2012

I ended up accidentally celebrating this; I had college work, but I drew gryphons and played a lot of Persona 4!

AustBound said on Mar. 1, 2012

I am happy to say that the 29th of February is my Mothers birthday 🙂 – She is 14. 😀

Jeff said on Mar. 3, 2012

I couldn’t figure out from the linked-to stories–what does Itoi’s company *do* anyway? What are all those people’s jobs?

It just seems like an office where the job is to have fun all the time… So jealous!

Mato said on Mar. 3, 2012

The site is a sort of online magazine full of interesting topics, updated daily with new content. The company also designs and produces many lines of merchandise. There’s more to it than that, but that’s the super simple answer.

Jeff said on Mar. 4, 2012