Random Post:

Sprucing Up the Site
Earthbound Super Nintendo SNES Game Cartridge Earth Bound Cart

February 3rd, 2012 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

Over on deviantART, Akatsuman132 posted this interesting similarity of Giygas and the movie poster for “Pink Floyd – The Wall”:

Given the sheer amount of Western pop culture references in MOTHER 2/EarthBound (reference 1, reference 2, reference 3) it doesn’t seem too farfetched. What do you guys think?

Thanks to yp95 for the tip!

34 Comments to Giygas and Pink Floyd?

Satsy said on Feb. 3, 2012

You can also compare the swirling mass to Totoro — the three ‘teeth’ match up with the pattern on his white belly, the ‘horns’ as his ears, and Itoi did voice someone in that movie.

Anonymous said on Feb. 3, 2012

He voiced the father.

FlintsDoorknob said on Feb. 3, 2012

I really don’t see the totoro thing…

THe Pink Floyd thing is interesting though. I’d say it was intentional.

Poe said on Feb. 3, 2012

They do look eerily similar…

MightyBearOne said on Feb. 3, 2012

Haha, that’s one nice reference, but a little too far-fetched in this case in my opinion. I mean you could also compare it to The Scream, and the similarities would be obvious, it’s just someone screaming, that always looks the same!

Mato said on Feb. 3, 2012

In this case, I personally find the angle of the face, the positioning of the teeth (and the amount of teeth), the angles of the nostrils, and the shapes of the eyes to be kinda close.

man said on Feb. 3, 2012

Though this is a massive stretch, I remembered this poster when I saw Giygas for the first time: http://www.myremoteradio.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/The-Shining-poster-011.jpg

Mato said on Feb. 3, 2012

Man movie posters back then were scary

Dave said on Feb. 3, 2012

Given EarthBound’s many, many other references, and judging by the similiarity of the mouth, the teeth, the eyes, the nostrils, and some of the lines on the side of the face, I would say that this is a distinct possibility. Wouldn’t you love to be able to speak with whoever designed Giygas and ask?

Like the music similarities which are far more obvious and pretty much undeniable, this stuff always blows my mind. It makes me wonder how much more stuff is ever going to be found. I feel like every single thing in the game must have been directly inspired by something else. Some day, you should have a whole section of the site devoted to compiling all this highly interesting stuff in one spot.

Dave said on Feb. 3, 2012

I just went back to the music similarities page. That stuff is so bizarre and interesting to me. For example, I wonder how many parents forced to watch their kids play the game could hear the saxophone come in for the song “Tequila” in their head, during that one battle music. Or other things, during pretty much any other song in the game. I wonder how many parents must have thought they were starting to go crazy.

Mato said on Feb. 3, 2012

When I played EarthBound for the very first time back in 1995, as soon as I heard that song I thought it WAS going to be Tequila and was sad that it wasn’t. I even commented about it to my friend but he didn’t know what I was talking about.

man said on Feb. 3, 2012

@Mato: Specifically, that is a POLISH movie poster.

Trust me, Polish movie posters are very, very strange indeed.

Naja said on Feb. 3, 2012

What about King Crimson’s “In The Court of Crimson King”?

Well, I know “The Wall” looks more similar to Gyiyg, but this one is also red.

Dialga Thunderstar said on Feb. 3, 2012

Hmmm… I personally don’t think so. Giygas is round like the head, but other than that I see no similarities.

Hejiru said on Feb. 3, 2012

Ehhh…. it’s not that similar. Dozens of albums/games/books/movies have a screaming distorted face on the cover. This is just coincidence.

SamuelTurn said on Feb. 3, 2012

Has anyone tried “un-twisting” the Gygas sprite?

PsiPaula4 said on Feb. 3, 2012

That is pretty interesting, but I think that Giygas really is Giegue upside down. If one were to flip Giygas upside down, he looks just like Giegue. I don’t know how many people noticed this, so I’m just throwing this out there.

RadicOmega said on Feb. 3, 2012

@PsiPaula4, How did you figure that out! It does! o_o

BigDream said on Feb. 3, 2012

That’s disturbing.

FlyingManCourage said on Feb. 3, 2012

I have to agree MightyBearOne. Just because you have to faces with open mouths doesn’t really constitute inspiration. As someone pointed out, this is the Polish poster. If you look at the poster on IMDB, (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084503/), the similarities vanish. No angle, no teeth-count, etc. Also, this movie is from 1982! I just think this is too much of a stretch.

Can I also ask why people always go the “this is disturbing” route whenever something has anything to do with Giygas? What exactly is so disturbing about this?

Mato said on Feb. 3, 2012

If it matters, a Polish movie poster was inspiration for another thing too: http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/03/argh-the-love-walker/

Halloween said on Feb. 3, 2012

There’s a Finnish metal band called Gniyg Gnaarg, and the title of their album is From Mother Sun.

I think the cover even looks like Giygas:

Anonymous said on Feb. 3, 2012

Maybe. I don’t really see it. An open-mouth scream isn’t particularly rare. The one posted isn’t distorted in any way resembling Gigyas. The only real similarities I see are the blank eyes (again, extremely common) and visible teeth.

I think Gigyas’ look is based off Giegue. They both have the same ears, no visible eyes, no nose… Though Gigyas does have nostrils.

Actually, the major changes between Gigyas’ faces and Giegue, ignoring the distorted shape and colour, are the nostils and mouth. I find interesting that Pokemon’s Mewtwo’s head also differs mostly from Giegue in that way. The two are extremely similar: extremely powerful psychic powers, seem to have the power to make animals violent (Berserk gene), face boys in red hats, in games by largely the same developers…

I wouldn’t be surprised if Giegue was intended to have more facial features, but the limitations of the NES prevented that level of detail. Gigyas may have been based off of the more detailed, unseen face.

Neil said on Feb. 3, 2012

@Halloween I really don’t think so, but I can see what you mean. Very interesting post, thanks Mato!

And I personally think that It could have played a part in how his sprite turned out. But that doesn’t very well mean that his sprite is “based” on this album cover.

FlyingManCourage said on Feb. 4, 2012

@Mato: Actually that IS really interesting. That does help pull the “polish-movie poster” concept slightly out of obscurity, although I can’t shake the feeling that I’ve seen that image before (knowing I’ve NEVER seen that Polish movie poster). I’m getting the feeling of some black-and-white old-school Mickey Mouse cartoon that had some sort of wheel-like object with a women’s legs. I can’t quite pinpoint the memory, however…so I could be crazy.

Is there any connection other between Itoi and Pink Floyd? Did he use their music somewhere? Has he ever been spotted wearing a band t-shirt? That sort of thing?

Mato said on Feb. 4, 2012

Pink Floyd’s mentioned in some places but the one I remember off the top of my head is here: http://www.1101.com/MOTHER_music/10.html Where one of the musicians says the part where the Tessie music is fading out at the end has Pink Floyd-esque inspiration.

PsiPaula4 said on Feb. 4, 2012

@RadicOmega: Someone posted a YouTube comment about Giygas being Giegue upside down, and I decided to see it for myself.

You guys can see what I mean here: http://oi39.tinypic.com/e5pkba.jpg

Cube the Starman said on Feb. 5, 2012

@Mato I have listened to almost all the albums but I haven’t found any similarities in the tessie song. Does anyone want to give me an example. Personally I was listening to breathe and the bass line reminded me of the peaceful coffee/tea dream bass line. Anyway that’s all. Also what kind of film is carabet?

Mato said on Feb. 5, 2012

I don’t know, the musician doesn’t list specific song names in that interview, mostly just the artists.

Floyd Fan Atic said on Feb. 8, 2012

Just look at the 6th track of the album/movie.
Still a coincidence?

flintsdoorknob said on Feb. 11, 2012

Uboa from Yume Nikki reminds me of Giygas. That might have been intention as it’s a fangame inspired heavily by Earthbound. It also looks similar to the Scream painting and Polish Shining poster.

I really love that Cabaret poster and Love Walker similarity to it really gives it more credibility.

However, all these things are absolutely terrifying and I probably won’t sleep tonight! I love these sorts of posts though.

flintsdoorknob said on Feb. 11, 2012

@PsiPaula4 Cabaret is a musical. Polish movie posters are just really surreal. It’s in the shape of a swastika due to the nazi stuff in the movie.

The polish Cabaret poster reminds me of this demon, although I can’t say if it was intentional or not.

I hate to be so Freudian, but Geigue from Mother 1 reminds me of upside down vagina. (Those are two words I didn’t think I’d see next to eachother.) The two red dots on the side of the machine look like ovaries. It’s not that much of a stretch considering the machine he’s in is a type of metaphorical womb, and the whole mother theme of the game.

It’s a metaphorical womb along the lines of the machines the people in the Matrix lived in, and Freudian aliens are nothing new. H.R. Geiger is a perfect example.

Anonymous said on Feb. 13, 2012

It’s funny that you mention a womb. Continuing with the connection between Mewtwo and Giegue, I should note that Mewtwo they both seem to resemble fetuses in some way. Giegue is inside of a womb, Mewtwo is a clone of Mew that is often floating in a bubble in the fetal position. Both Mewtwo and Giegue have tails, but Mewtwo’s comes out of his stomach, something like an umbilical cord.

They’re different thematically though. Giegue seems to heavily revolve around the relationship between mother and child, so it makes sense that he’d be in a womb. Mew and Mewtwo seem to be more about the actual growth of a fetus. Mew’s described as the origin of all living things, related to how mammals all look extremely similar during early fetal stages and the old theory that all of a species’ evolutionary history is found in the development of the fetus.

While we’re looking for things that resemble Gigyas, I’ll note that there’s a Salvador Dali image that has a similar “wall of screaming faces” thing going on. Dali’a “Persistence of Memory” is referenced by an enemy in the game.

Side note, there’s nothing really “Freudian” about H. R. Giger’s design on Alien. Look at his original drawings of the Facehuggers. It’s pretty clear how it gets its babies in there.

Ace of Technology said on Mar. 2, 2012

The pink floyd poster doesn’t really look like giygas… – –