An Early Look at EarthBound in Total! Magazine
February 19th, 2012 | MOTHER 1
Yesterday I got an e-mail from H.S (the awesome guy doing a lot of EarthBound Zero remake hack stuff):
I had a question about something. In this page on Earthbound Central, you had a map of the Magicant caves from the Famicom version of Mother 1. I was wondering if you knew where to get some other maps from Mother 1, that were changed in EarthBoung Zero and the Mother 1+2 port. Specifically, I was curious to see a map of the original version of the base of Holy Loly Mountain. I played through the Famicom version of Mother 1 a few years ago and seem to recall that that area was different. Before I start to work on the map of that area for the EB0 Remake, I wanted to see the Famicom version of that map, to use as a reference while making the new map.
So, I guess my question would be, is there a Japanese site or something that would have these maps?
I would’ve sent a personal reply but every so often I get a question about EarthBound Zero maps, so I’ll post this here.
Back in 2006, when a bunch of us Starmen.Net folks started putting together the EarthBound Zero walkthrough, a cool hacker by the name of Goplat made a map viewer for EarthBound Zero. Not many people know about it, so here it is:
Why use a map viewer instead of just dumping it all into a giant .png file? The EarthBound Zero map is 16384 x 14384 and even in super-compressed PNG form it comes out to 6.6 MB (you can get it here). That was enough to stop a lot of our computers in their tracks back then, so this program helped save the day.
Anyway, the above program is meant for Windows systems, and you’ll probably need to run it from the command line, ala:
mapview “earthbound zero.nes”
You might be able to drag the ROM icon onto the program to make it work, I dunno. Also, the program comes as-is so use it at your own risk. I personally haven’t had any trouble with it, though.
What’s interesting is that I’m pretty certain this program can be used with the Japanese MOTHER 1 ROM too. Or at least I got it to work somehow, which is how I produced those Magicant comparison images. So using this, you can look through the maps in both versions to see what other map changes might’ve been made between MOTHER 1 and EarthBound Zero!
If anyone finds any other differences besides those Magicant caverns, let me know!
Other Related Posts:
25 Comments to EarthBound Zero Map Viewer
Featured Item on eBay:
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?