Shigesato Itoi’s Copywriting
New copies of EarthBound are now worth thousands of dollars apparently, but did you know the game used to be $5.99 new at Best Buy? It sounds like in the late 90s many stores were trying to unload the game for super-cheap prices. Little did anyone know…
Anyway, in some recent comments, EarthBound Central reader west_haven posted this:
I work at Best Buy and I’ve been meaning to look in our inventory program and see if I can find our listing for Pokemon Red, so I bet it’s in there somewhere.
Found it and printed out sale tags for it!! The price listed is $5.99, a price we all wish we could get it for now. It’s listed as SN-Earthbound, where SN must stand for SNES. The SKU number is 2375272, which sadly doesn’t mean much since if you search for that on Bestbuy.com, it doesn’t yield a result. The many little tags are peg label stickers; I printed out eight of ‘em just cuz I can
I asked if there might be some secret stash tucked away in a warehouse somewhere, but it sounds like that’s not likely at all Oh well, someday someone’s going to find a stash of new EarthBounds and then buy a solid gold car.
Other Related Posts:
25 Comments to EarthBound Was Once $5.99
Featured Item on eBay:
Banpresto EARTHBOUND Mini Figure game Mother 2 official " Venus "
- Toby: I doubt you could get to Jr./Son of Starman, as you would need to have everything memorized to come even close. Besides you also have that...
- something fuzzy: Definitely would’ve been interesting to see a 3D rendition of a Flying Man, but in the end it probably was a wise choice to...
- Supergamerk: I like how they put Earthbound, an RPG with a VERY slow beginning on a time limit. I’d be surprised if you could get to Starman...
- Ostricho: Jess is right, there was a portion with a Ness FP fighter. I remember seeing it, and rewinding to pause it at that screen. EarthBound...
- Boodledump: This is awesome!