February 2nd, 2012 | Auctions, EarthBound, Merchandise

Once a month I update the EarthBound price info on buyearthbound.com so fans can get the best deals and avoid getting ripped off. Here are the latest numbers if you’re interested:

Average Prices:

• EarthBound cart: $138 (down from $149 now that the holidays are over)
  • EarthBound guide: $77 (previous average was $77 as well)
  • EarthBound complete set: $493 (up from $398)

That complete set average doesn’t include the new copy that sold for a zillion dollars last week. That one wound up selling for a lot less than the final bid (and was sold off of eBay as well), but factoring in the price there, the average for a complete set is bumped up to $629.

While computing the info above, I also took some notes about which ones sold for more and sold for less. So if you’re hoping to buy a copy of EarthBound for as little as possible, follow the tips here as well as these new tips for auctions (as opposed to buy-it-nows):

Helpful Tips!

• If the title has the word “rare” in it, forget about it – the final price will almost ALWAYS be higher than the average
  • Similarly, words like “mint” will usually result in a final price higher than the average
  • If the title uses the stock title of something like “EarthBound (1995, Super NES)”, then the final price is slightly more likely to be below average
  • If the thumbnail image used is the stock image, then the final price is slightly more likely to be below average
  • If words like “used” or “only” or “just” (as in “cart only” or “just cart”) are used, the final price is more likely to be below average

Of course, if you’re selling your copy, then use those tips to your advantage too 😛

Pay attention to this stuff and the tips on buyearthound.com to get the best deal possible. You can save a LOT of money if you know what you’re doing – some cart copies of EarthBound went for $100, and a complete set even went for $273. So there are deals (relatively speaking…) to be had if you’re attentive!

10 Comments to EarthBound Price Update (Feb. 2012)

Anonymous said on Feb. 2, 2012

I was lucky enough to snag a copy for about 70 dollars (68 pounds ) just before the holiday season. My mother wrapped it up so I got to play it on Christmas day.
For everybody out there looking for a good deal on getting just the cart ,keep on trucking and you will eventually succeed in getting what you want.

PK Rockin said on Feb. 2, 2012

I got my copy of EarthBound for my birthday last year for $130. My birthday is March 24.

BlackTeenageGeek said on Feb. 2, 2012

I got my copy at a local video game store for only 90 bucks!

V-King said on Feb. 2, 2012

It’s still way too much money.
I remember buying my copy of Earthbound around 5 or 6 years ago for around 40$ (that includes shipping costs. I’m from Germany and I bought this cart off of eBay USA),

SeriousKano said on Feb. 3, 2012

I bought my game about 18 months ago for $150. The box and the guide were included and in decent condition, especially the guide. Plus I live in Germany and the game was shipped from Germany so I had basically no shipping costs.

Kyle15 said on Feb. 3, 2012

The cart I own literally fell into my lap. Back in ’05, I tried using Game Crazy’s tracking service to score a copy for around $50. The chain-wide month-long search brought-up nothing! Even the manager (who was a wonderful guy) couldn’t locate one with a bit of phone-scouting.
I still remember it like it was yesterday; my mom and two brothers went out to the grocery. I stayed home for whatever reason that day. About two hours later, I get a call from my mom’s cell. It was brother #1 who immediately says, “GAME CRAZY HAS EARTHBOUND!” I jumped out of my chair, mind-boggled. He was in Hollywood Video when the manager from Game Crazy came running over with the cart. It had been traded-in minutes before my family walked in! The manager told my mom what it was, and I’m pretty sure she was reluctant to buy it for so much. (Even though I was going to pay her back, of course.)

However, $50 didn’t come out of my pocket that day. Game Crazy’s 3-for-$10 “Classic Plastic” sale began earlier in the week. I told my brother to grab StarFox and Jurassic Park 2 for completion of the deal. They came home with Earthbound and those other carts for a mere $10! The kicker? My mom let me keep the cash I was going to pay her back with.

I haven’t spoke to that manager since early ’07. We moved in Februrary of that year. Since Game Crazy no longer exists, I wonder where he went? Funny thing is, the bald guy from Pawn Stars is a spitting-image of him. Funny!

CountZero said on Feb. 5, 2012

I was curious. What happened with the one that was up on eBay for a million zillion dollars last week? I was in the bidding for it, but it went out of my price range on the last day. Does anyone have any info on why it was sold of eBay and how much it ended up going for?

Mato said on Feb. 5, 2012

Some losers put in some fake bids near the end, so the seller wound up selling it offline. I think it went for around $2500 or so.

manoverboard1619 said on Feb. 9, 2012

i count myself lucky i found my cart for only 50 dollars

Banjo said on Apr. 24, 2012

I found mine. I was just at work, when I found it!Right there!On the floor!