Random Post:

Porky Needs You!

February 9th, 2012 | EarthBound, Events, Videos

Some years ago while trying to dig up old and lost EarthBound-related videos, I decided to see if I could find anything from E3 1995, where EarthBound was shown off. I didn’t find much, just a single video that showed a super-quick shot of an EarthBound display at the event. I forgot about it until Juanito reminded me of it recently. Here it is:

Note: If that video ever dies or whatever, here’s a screenshot of the EarthBound display, I wonder where it is now…

EarthBound’s E3 appearance is also briefly mentioned on this old page from 1995.

There’s gotta be more than that, though, right? Does anyone know of any other E3 1995 videos or magazine articles or anything that mention or show anything about EarthBound? I’d think Nintendo Power had something, but I don’t have those old issues anymore. It seems like the game flew under everyone’s radars back then, I’m guessing it was overshadowed by the Virtual Boy and/or N64.

15 Comments to EarthBound at E3 1995

Trent said on Feb. 9, 2012

Maybe it didn’t get enough E3 advertising, therefor not selling well in the states. But who knows.
Maybe talk to some collectors, they may have a magazine or two about it.

Very cool find though Mato.
You’ve been making several articles in these past few days great work!

Carl said on Feb. 9, 2012

I have a bunch of old video game magazines from this era, mostly issues of Nintendo Power & EGM. I’ll have to pull them out and scan them for Earthbound-related stuff one of these days. I distinctly remember NP giving it a ton of coverage overall, but i don’t specifically remember anything about E3 in particular.

Leeaux said on Feb. 9, 2012

Beginners level RPG? Wonder if thats what it was actually billed as at the time, or if the magazine just thought the simplistic graphics just meant the game was easy.

Probably the latter.

Gooptek said on Feb. 9, 2012

Thanks, Mato and Juanito! I was already wondering things like “did Earthbound ever appear on an E3?” and things alike.

Dosei-San said on Feb. 9, 2012

I have a picture in a nintendo power issue from E3 1995 for the earthbound display. I would share the photo but I dont know how to scan images >:O

ebay said on Feb. 9, 2012

prolly in the trash lol
someone didn’t know it will be worth hundreds of dollars

KingDarian said on Feb. 9, 2012

Look what I found: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/File:E3_1995_3.jpg from this wiki page: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/E3_1995

Nothing exceptional, but it’s another angle of the EarthBound banner.

CameronSU said on Feb. 9, 2012

I guarantee you, something like that (one-of-a-kind) would sell in the thousands. It stands as one of the earliest pieces of EarthBound memorabilia (could very well BE the earliest) in existence!

? said on Feb. 9, 2012

Where ever it is, it’s worth a jillion dollars at least.

? said on Feb. 9, 2012

Wow, I was jesting about the value but after skimming the comments, some of you actually think like that:S.

Ness said on Feb. 9, 2012

E3 1995 was covered in the July 1995 issue of Nintendo Power. There is a brief mention of Earthbound and a photo of cardboard cutouts of the main characters. They look just like the characters on that display you posted.

They had already covered Earthbound in the previous issue, June 1995, with an interview of Itoi and screenshots from the game with funny captions.

Mr:Dosei99 said on Feb. 9, 2012

Oh holy giygas, i wish i had been there. guys look at my blog! Is awesome.

KingMike said on Feb. 9, 2012

Well, E3 1995 would’ve been about a month before EB was released.
So, less point promoting it?
Besides who wants to see EB when you got 32-bit consoles, CGI graphics and that guy with the weird VR helmet? 😀

Dialga Thunderstar said on Feb. 10, 2012

I want that board.

Kyosuke said on Feb. 15, 2012

They show the “The War Against Giygas” screen at 2:53 in the video, too! Too bad that’s all they showed.