February 6th, 2012 | Itoi

Many years ago, when Shigesato Itoi’s Hobonichi site was just starting out, there was a mailbag-type section on the site which posted e-mails from readers. In 2000 this message was posted, all in English:

Hello, Mr. Itoi!

My name is Melanie Slater and I am a mentor for a 12 year old boy named Julian Griffith, who is a student at Quincy Junior high School.

His literacy class required that a business letter be written to someone whom he didn’t know, but admired. He picked you (after some investigation), because he loves the game EARTHBOUND so much. Since we could not find an address for you, we opted to send his letter via e-mail, which was okayed by his teacher.

Thank you for taking the time to read the folowing letter, and, hopefully, you can find time to answer him. He needs all the positive reinforcement he can get! He comes from a near-poverty situation, with a single-parent mother who works two jobs.

Thanks again,
Melanie Slater

Dear Mr. Itoi:

My name is Julian and I really love the game you made, EARTHBOUND. I rented it from Frese’s Videos, and right now I have late charges on it, so I have to take it back. I like the characters like the Bubble Monkey, Alex, Holly, Rover, John and Kato. Hey, you’re really cool, too!

Are you coming out with a new game? If you are, I would like to buy it, but I would have to rent it because our Nintendo factory got burned down.

If you can, please e-mail Mrs. Slater, my mentor, and tell her about any new game you might be making.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Julian Griffith

You can see the post here if you’re interested. Right after the post, the mailbag person is like (paraphrased), “Whoa, an all-English message. If anyone knows how we can contact whoever sent this, please let us know. It sounds like they’re calling Itoi cool!”

Anyway, I wonder whatever happened to Julian and if someone ever put them in contact with each other. I really hope so 🙂

15 Comments to An EarthBound Fan Reaches Out

LumiaSekai said on Feb. 6, 2012

Awww, how cute is that! :>

I also hope they got the chance to talk as well!

Gooptek said on Feb. 6, 2012

Julian? What a cool name! It remembers me of somebody I know very well…
VERY, VERY WELL…

PK Derp said on Feb. 6, 2012

lol Alex, Holly, Rover, John and Kato? Who are they?! I assume there what he named Ness Paula King Jeff and Poo but he wasn’t very clear. Itoi would of just been like who?!

Even so this is a really cool find and i hope something came out of the letter 😀

Mato said on Feb. 6, 2012

They’re some of the default names for the characters: http://earthboundcentral.com/m2eb/new-game/

Leeaux said on Feb. 6, 2012

This is incredibly endearing and I really just want to go buy this kid everything in the world.

Dialga Thunderstar said on Feb. 6, 2012

It would be great if Itoi actually read that.

RandomGuardian said on Feb. 6, 2012

Awwwwwwwwwwww 😉

Minifig2401 said on Feb. 6, 2012

Aw thats so awesome. i hope my school does something like that. i’d chose itoi in a heartbeat. oh and holly, kato, and rover are default names. he could have modified alec to alex, and john may have been modified from jeff. i hope today he’s doing okay. maybe he’s a big fan now, and read this.

Poe said on Feb. 6, 2012

What I’d like to know is what Nintendo factory he’s talking about that got burned down.

Still, I hope someone eventually got around to translating this for Itoi~

Pik said on Feb. 6, 2012

With their research of him, I hope his mentor realized that he doesn’t know English.

Oh well. This is a sweet message, immensely touching! It’d be lovely if they got a reply (even if it was in broken english :P)

Robert said on Feb. 6, 2012

If there is any response after this would you keep us updated? I’d really like to know how this turns out.

Mato said on Feb. 6, 2012

I did a search but didn’t find anything else regarding him on Itoi’s site, so what happened afterward is unclear. Your guess is as good as mine 😕

TBird said on Feb. 7, 2012

Is it just me, or does this story have a very MOTHER feel to it? It’s charming, funny, but a little sad.

Carl said on Feb. 7, 2012

This appears to be Julian’s school: http://hail.qps.org/schools/junior_high/index.html

There’s a video store named Frese’s just a few block away: http://www.yelp.com/biz/freses-video-quincy

Mr. Tenda said on Feb. 9, 2012

Wait… the Nintendo Factory burned down? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO