EarthBound (Super Nintendo Entertainment System, 1995) SNES - Authentic -

February 11th, 2012 | MOTHER 1, Uncommon Knowledge

Pitchfork recently posted a really in-depth analysis of the first MOTHER game – check it out here. Even if you’re not a fan of the first game, some of the info and ideas in here might be new to you, so I’d still recommend reading it!

It looks like he played through my MOTHER 1+2 translation and looked up a lot of interview translations I’ve done, so he’s definitely done a lot of research. Sometimes the article gets a little deep and/or sidetracked, but I think it’s got a lot of interesting tidbits in there, like the discussion about the monomyth.

15 Comments to A Detailed Analysis of MOTHER

Albireo said on Feb. 11, 2012

The first link is wrong, it just links back to this article!

LucasPSI said on Feb. 11, 2012

Awww you beat me to it Albireo 🙁

Mato said on Feb. 11, 2012

Okay should be fixed!

Sir Ilpalazzo said on Feb. 11, 2012

That was a really great article.

CrouchingMouse said on Feb. 11, 2012

He brought up a lot of things that I hadn’t thought of before – specifically the idea of Magicant being a “mother” to you, except as a place instead of a person, and how leaving it is so difficult, like how leaving the “nest” (your parents) for the first time is always hard. Fascinating stuff. I can’t wait to see what he has to say about EarthBound.

kenisu said on Feb. 12, 2012

Oh man… finally MOTHER gets some well-deserved attention (even though he too advises players to skip the game and move on to EB… damn, I wish article writers and reviewers would stop saying that), and reading that whole thing has given me some real drive to shake off my personal fears and pick my MOTHER comic back up out of the Gutter of Broken, Unfinished Dreams.

GiegueFanboy said on Feb. 12, 2012

I like MOTHER, plotwise and characterwise, but gameplay just really turns me off to it. Though, it was the debut of my absolute favorite videogame character, so that’s a plus.

Erikku8 said on Feb. 12, 2012

I’ll never look at Mother 1 the same way again.

Tom said on Feb. 12, 2012

I wanna replay MOTHER so bad now!

SonicUnderground said on Feb. 13, 2012

Im already replaying mother as we speak! 🙂 Im already at the AMAZING SINING MONKEY!!!!!1!!!!!!11!

RandomGuardian said on Feb. 13, 2012

NEED MOAR READERZ!!!!1!1!1!!

On a serious note, if the author looks at this comment, your article/essay was fantastic. Thumbs up to you!

pranavmeno said on Feb. 13, 2012

This was a wonderful article. Like seriously. I enjoyed it so much.

Over-analysis is the best thing ever.

santiagoff said on Feb. 14, 2012

The ending paragraphs were really emotional… I think I almost cried reading this!

dwiese1998 said on Mar. 1, 2012

Wow…
Well i just relized i wasnt the only one who loves mother so much

asdf said on Aug. 21, 2012

I thought you meant “Pitchfork,” the music review site.