January 14th, 2012 | Merchandise, MOTHER 3

pk_stan, an avid EarthBound/MOTHER collector, sent this in the other day:

Hi Mato! I just received this in the mail today. It’s a Mother 3+ Piano book that has sheet music for 7 different Mother 3 tracks. Up until when I ordered this a few days ago, I didn’t even know such a thing existed. It seems to be a very new release, with a release date of September 2011!

It’s weird seeing new merch like this after a game has been out for five years. Hey, I’m not complaining though! I haven’t found any info on this anywhere, and thought I would share my awesome find!

Also, I made a GameSwag page for it. (link)

Here’s a pic of the cover:

I never knew about it either, so this came as a surprise. I don’t think it’s official, but sometimes with Japanese merchandise it’s hard to tell.

Here’s a sample, maybe someone with music skills can tell if it’s accurate or not?

Does anyone have any experience with this company’s stuff or other piano books like this one?

16 Comments to MOTHER3+ Piano Book

Skye said on Jan. 14, 2012

“I donโ€™t know think itโ€™s official”, you’ve got a typo there ๐Ÿ˜‰

Also awesome, might have to get it myself too ^^

Pikachu said on Jan. 14, 2012

I hope it’s real. ๐Ÿ™‚

KingDarian said on Jan. 14, 2012

I’m fairly certain these aren’t officially licensed. The company, Sky Port, is the same company that made that MOTHER 1+2 midi CD, along with the MOTHER 1 + 2 Piano score book, seen recently on eBay.

Sky Port doesn’t use the official logo for the games in any of their products, although they do bear the JASRAC denotation.

pk_stan said on Jan. 14, 2012

Wow, front page! I feel important! Thanks Mato. I’m not sure what the deal with this is, I just knew when I saw it, I had to get it. My only issue with it is that it’s bound too small, if that makes any sense. I really want to scan the pages, but I can’t without totally destroying the book’s prettiness.

Also… not to blatantly self promote, but I did buy two of these, and can totally part with one if anyone is interested.

SonicUnderground said on Jan. 14, 2012

It’s completley fake honestly.

Zafum said on Jan. 14, 2012

I checked it out on the GameSwag page. It seemed accurate… at least as far as I could tell when sight-reading it from the couple of oddly photographed samples. From what I can tell, they don’t vary from the original 3+ pieces, other than that they’re dumbed down a bit.

pk_stan said on Jan. 14, 2012

@SonicUnderground

It very well may be, but do you have any evidence to back that up?

pk_stan said on Jan. 14, 2012

@Zafum

Unfortunately because of the way that the book is made, it is incredibly difficult to get a good picture of any page. I wish I could get better pictures of it, but I don’t want to destroy the book in the process.

FlyingManCourage said on Jan. 14, 2012

That’s too bad. You would think a piano sheet music book would be bound in such a way that it would lie down flat quite nicely.

Anonymous said on Jan. 14, 2012

@SonicUnderground

Please at LEAST give us some proof to back it up. You cant just say its fake without any evidence.

Clumsy Robot said on Jan. 15, 2012

The sheet music is accurate, but I don’t know the status on whether the book in general is legitimate or not.

Clumsy Robot

teraphony said on Jan. 15, 2012

@FlyingManCourage

I’ve gotten a bunch of game music piano books, and they *never* lie flat. They never release them spiral-bound and you have to crack the hell out of the spines and then weigh them down with heavy objects.

In general, I really love the novelty of game music books. They range in quality. Sometimes they are great transcriptions or arrangements. Other times it’s a bit meh. The difficulty ranges from easy to moderately skilled. Hardest I’ve seen are the FF Piano Collections. Not the original soundtrack versions, but special concert versions with elaborations. But oftentimes they’re not too bad at all. I don’t consider myself a fantastic pianist but I can muddle through stuff when I love it enough. Many times, they’ve been transposed into other keys to make them easier on the hands. Not every game track works well on the piano, but those that do provide a lot of enjoyment and fun. I also like it when they provide voice+accompaniment for vocal numbers.

Absoltastic said on Jan. 15, 2012

Well, the sheet music is accurate.

MostStrange said on Jan. 18, 2012

I just purchased this book (along with the final 3 large Banpresto figures I was missing) so I’ll update if anything interesting is inside :).

Also, if anyone does scans, I’d be happy to send a photo of myself with the book, to prove I have it (when it comes) so that I don’t have to break mine to bits to play the pieces…

Heck, you’ll probably see it in another unboxing video ๐Ÿ™‚

Adam said on Jan. 19, 2012

@pk_stan

I would be very interested in perhaps buying your other copy. Email me at oneeightnineone@yahoo.com and perhaps we can work something out.

More generally, does anyone know where I could get one of these?

Ring064 said on Jan. 23, 2013

id really love to get a copy of this book somehow. even if its merc or not, i think the music in mother 3 is amazing. it brings back so many great memories listing to music like ” open seseame tofu!”, “ragtime osohe” and even the ” mother 3 love theme”.

if in any way possible, i think we need to get more peoples attention on this game and its music.

now im rambling on…