Nintendo’s MOTHER 3-related Patent
Whenever I play EarthBound, I always avoid getting Lucky Sandwiches since they’re pretty meh and I don’t like gambling with limited inventory space. But I’ve never really known how these Lucky Sandwiches actually work – all I knew was that they have random effects.
A few years ago some skilled hackers dug into the ROM and found out a bunch of technical stuff, including how Lucky Sandwiches work. So here’s the deal with them:
When you buy a Lucky Sandwich (more precisely, immediately before the text “Lucky sandwich? Who is going to carry this?”), the game chooses from one of six Lucky Sandwich item entries to use. The recovery effect of a Lucky Sandwich is set in stone once bought, so it’s possible to stockpile certain types.
Generate a random number 0-15. If less than 7, 60 HP sandwich.
Else generate a random number 0-8. If less than 4, 240 HP sandwich.
Else generate a random number 0-4. If less than 3, full HP sandwich.
Else generate a random number 0-1. If 0, 5 PP sandwich.
Else generate a random number 0-2. If nonzero, 20 PP sandwich.
Else full HP+PP sandwich.
- 60 HP: 44% (21/48)
- 240 HP: 25% (12/48)
- full HP: 19% (9/48)
- 5 PP: 6% (3/48)
- 20 PP: 4% (2/48)
- full HP+PP: 2% (1/48)
So there you go! It looks like over 50% of the time it gives a “meh” result, so I guess that’s why I never buy them. I feel like I’m in the minority though – does anyone actually buy them often?
Other Related Posts:
22 Comments to How Lucky Sandwiches Work
- Sat: 2000$ is almost what I’d pay for that jacket, gosh. Are those EB64 screenshots in full res ? Is there more to see? Even if we’ve...
- Fred bounder: You missed the pk album from fangamer!!
- KingOfSwords: For those who don’t know, the Lasagna Cat video is a reference to “Colin’s Bear Animation”:...
- neonix: Dang, somehow I didn’t catch wind of that ruler auction. I would have been in the bidding for it. Oh well, guess I’ll keep...
- Leeaux: And I just posted wondering where you went! Great stuff.