Hip Hop Mr. Saturn
Whenever I play EarthBound, I always avoid getting Lucky Sandwiches since they’re pretty meh and I don’t like gambling with limited inventory space. But I’ve never really known how these Lucky Sandwiches actually work – all I knew was that they have random effects.
A few years ago some skilled hackers dug into the ROM and found out a bunch of technical stuff, including how Lucky Sandwiches work. So here’s the deal with them:
When you buy a Lucky Sandwich (more precisely, immediately before the text “Lucky sandwich? Who is going to carry this?”), the game chooses from one of six Lucky Sandwich item entries to use. The recovery effect of a Lucky Sandwich is set in stone once bought, so it’s possible to stockpile certain types.
Generate a random number 0-15. If less than 7, 60 HP sandwich.
Else generate a random number 0-8. If less than 4, 240 HP sandwich.
Else generate a random number 0-4. If less than 3, full HP sandwich.
Else generate a random number 0-1. If 0, 5 PP sandwich.
Else generate a random number 0-2. If nonzero, 20 PP sandwich.
Else full HP+PP sandwich.
- 60 HP: 44% (21/48)
- 240 HP: 25% (12/48)
- full HP: 19% (9/48)
- 5 PP: 6% (3/48)
- 20 PP: 4% (2/48)
- full HP+PP: 2% (1/48)
So there you go! It looks like over 50% of the time it gives a “meh” result, so I guess that’s why I never buy them. I feel like I’m in the minority though – does anyone actually buy them often?
Other Related Posts:
22 Comments to How Lucky Sandwiches Work
- .: I once bought Metroid: Other M for $5 at Best Buy in the bargain bin. It wasn’t the greatest Metroid ever, but for $5 it was a great game!
- Sato: @Apple Kid It’s probably a UK SNES, which has the same design as the Super Famicom. There’s the possibility that this is a...
- EileenThePizzaQueen: @adex As a (mediocre) feminist I want so badly to be able to defend you here. I absolutely get why you’d be...
- StarmanAlex: JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY
- adex: “Mother2fan” is just some perverted eurocreep who thinks females should be subjected to the naked male form whenever the...