January 15th, 2012 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

Many years ago the Happy Video Game Nerd posted a really cool and in-depth video about EarthBound. He recently revised it and added lots more info – grab a sandwich or something and check it out here or check it out below!

It was actually when I was writing an e-mail to him yesterday that I remembered that weird MOTHER 3 e-mail from 2008. I guess maybe he can add that to his next revision in a few years – or maybe Roo can update his EarthBound videos next :P

39 Comments to Happy Video Game Nerd Talks EarthBound Again

dirk said on Jan. 15, 2012

I remember seeing his original video a while back. Instantly got me into his HVGN videos, which, eventually, led me into a fandom with his and his partner’s musical creation, Starship Amazing. I always like his analysis.

Roo said on Jan. 15, 2012

Glad to see Derek’s video up – he did a great job on the re-edit, and I appreciate his shoutout. It’s really amazing to me how much new info is continually coming out about this series so many years later.

So, yeah. I think we were joking around about swapping re-edits every few years. I’ll take 2014, then Derek gets 2016, I’m up again in 2018, etc… ;)

Minifig2401 said on Jan. 16, 2012

Wow he put alot of work in this. this just proves how amazing we mother fans truely are. Never underestimate a mother fan. with miyamoto a mother fan, then who know? maybe one of the presidents of nintendo of america or america itself will be a mother fan. this makes me feel proud to be a mother fan

Nightshade said on Jan. 16, 2012

I really like Derek’s EarthBound review 2.0. It did seemed a bit of bad timing when he released his video days before the whole EB VC Not Happening announcement so I’m glad he now got the Director’s Cut done. Joey’s 16-Bit Gems EarthBound episodes were awesome too. I should make a YouTube playlist combining the HVGN EB 2.0, both 16-Bit Gems and Roo’s Mother Prototype video. Speaking of that, it was a nice wink to see a screenshot of the latter into Derek’s 2.0 :P

WallHack said on Jan. 16, 2012

He mentions something I never knew before: Mother was supposed to have an 80-page manual and two posters? I wonder if any existed/still exist….

Nightshade said on Jan. 16, 2012

I forgot to ask: when can we expect a HVGN – 16-bit Gems crossover?

Andy said on Jan. 16, 2012

What was the other Mother 3 email?

Zeke said on Jan. 16, 2012

Loved the video – had me tearing up a bit and then at the end I was crying haha. So many memories.

kenisu said on Jan. 16, 2012

Ugh. Once again, MOTHER 1 gets slammed. :( The more these reviewers talk negatively about it, the more viewers will take their word for it and not even give it a chance.

I *really* hope that remake is still coming along. At first I hated the idea of a remake, but the maps for it look gorgeous and if it gets people to finally see what I see in the game, I’m all for it.

Erik said on Jan. 16, 2012

@Kenisu

I wouldn’t say Mother 1 is a bad game either. Definitely some frustration due to the insane random encounter rate, but the story drew me in. I still think it’s the weakest of the trilogy, but still part of the quirky style and fun you experience with other Mother games.

Poe said on Jan. 16, 2012

I do like the original MOTHER a lot, but I only beat it after Mato released his M1+2 patch with the easy ring. It IS a difficult NES RPG, so I can see how that would frustrate the HVGN, but I hope he gives it another chance with Mato’s patch. It’s got a great story.

Mato said on Jan. 16, 2012

Yeah, I recommended him the M1+2 patch – I kind of wish I could convince more people to try it out or at least get more word out about it. Someday I’ll have to make a page for people wanting to get into the series but don’t know where/how to start.

Andy said on Jan. 16, 2012

Can someone tell me what the Mother 3 email was?

Poe said on Jan. 16, 2012

It’s in the update right before this one.

FlyingManCourage said on Jan. 16, 2012

I did not know about the Mother 1+2 patch. Where can I got find out more about it? Does it run on NES emulator?

16bitKaiju said on Jan. 16, 2012

I remember watching his first Earthbound videos a while ago and Where I learnt about the prototypes of mother 1.
Like he said, to play Earthbound is to love Earthbound,in fact I might go play a bit more right now.

Poe said on Jan. 16, 2012

FMC: http://mother12.earthboundcentral.com/

Since the patch is for the GBA game, you need a GBA emulator.

FlyingManCourage said on Jan. 16, 2012

Thank you, Miss Poe! I didn’t know this was finished. Runs off to play VBA-M for few days.

Miles of SmashWiki said on Jan. 16, 2012

I think people are a bit too quick to judge EB0 negatively. It’s a difficult game, yes, but not this insanely hard impossibility that some make it out to be.

Onett Resident said on Jan. 16, 2012

I nearly cried…

Pepper said on Jan. 16, 2012

I like this guy. Very organized, thorough review!

I also believe Mother 1 is a wonderful game despite the fact that the random encounters (and giant map) can be pretty maddening. But I love the story, the characters, and really enjoy its part in the Mother universe storyline.

Minifig2401 said on Jan. 16, 2012

@kenisu ya mother 1 needs more credit. i read an article on wikibound and described all of nintens partys favorite stuff, their most prized possesion and it was worth reading.

FlyingManCourage said on Jan. 17, 2012

@Onett Resident/other Mother 1/EBO fans:

I am a gamer who doesn’t shy away from a challenge. I usually get all the 1/128 equipment during a play of EarthBound (including 3 Star Pendants)and I don’t mind “fighting around”. I enjoy battles in RPG’s and I frequently get my characters to Max Levels whenever I play an old RPG.

So, do you guys think I should try to play EBO Normal? Or is it really so much grinding that I might lose the flow of the story and? Should I play EBO EZ first and then try Normal later? I have never played before, so experiencing the story is going to be my #1 priority. Any thoughts?

kenisu said on Jan. 17, 2012

I really don’t think there’s anything wrong with using the Easy Ring your first time through.

Poe said on Jan. 17, 2012

The difficulty really spikes near the end of the game when you enter Holy Loly Mountain. I surely would have died many times in there had the Easy Ring not given me that nice experience boost.

There’s an interview somewhere where Itoi admits that his team sorta blew off fine-tuning the difficulty for the Holy Loly Mountain area, so that’s why it’s so hard. This one, I think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN9wBCKAO20&context=C36c728aADOEgsToPDskJzhQ5C9VQ8LKkyRYd_8MAs

Captain Bozo said on Jan. 17, 2012

You couldn’t have had a more disappointing crop with the preview image.

Just saying.

Mato said on Jan. 17, 2012

Not sure which image you’re talking about – the preview image for the video, this, or this

peacoc said on Jan. 17, 2012

He mentions that like 7 other language patches are available, but unless I’m mistaken, most of those projects died pretty much immediately after beginning.

FlyingManCourage said on Jan. 18, 2012

@Mato, seriously man. I REALLY want to know how a petty EB fan can realistically thank you. Here I am, playing yet ANOTHER game solely because of your hard work and passion for the series. Without you, my EB love would only run as far as EB….now there’s an entire trilogy for me to enjoy.

I’m really just beside myself with respect and admiration for you right now, man. I don’t think outsiders truly realize what a video game can mean to passionate gamer.

LuffyDan said on Jan. 18, 2012

What music is playing at the end of this video?! I feel like I’ve heard it before but it’s driving me crazy because I can’t remember where it’s from!

ChrisAnimeGuy said on Jan. 18, 2012

I’ve only played abit of Mother 1 so far but am loving it ^^ Because I’m in the UK we never got any of these :( But I’ve made it my mission to get myself a copy of Earthbound for the SNES when I get my bonus from my job in April. Having played it on an emulator and Ness is my main character in Smash Bros, yeah I have wanted Earthbound for a very long time :) To all those on Starmen.net and all those responsible for the fan translations, thank you all :) You’re all an amazing group of talented people! To Derek the HVGN, an excellent revision of an already awesome video of Earthbound^^ Well done good sir!

kenisu said on Jan. 18, 2012

@ LuffyDan

It’s the ending credits music from Super Mario Land.

LuffyDan said on Jan. 18, 2012

@Kenisu

You’ve done it again! Thanks, Kenisu!

minifig2401 said on Jan. 28, 2012

I agree. the whole series boggles the mind. Even if i’ve already seen walkthroughs of them, playing these games never seize to amaze me.

RadicOmega said on Feb. 4, 2012

It’s nice to see that there is at least a good review of EarthBound.

Ninten said on Feb. 28, 2012

Sorry there, my knowledge is that ANGRY video game nerd is the gaming nostalgia critic ( my bad) honestly this is the greatest review of mother by far. this gaming dude completly nullified all the bad reviews, and he went in depth! no just “oh we got the twoson, well lets go play call of duty and forget this stupid game”! i like the nostalgia critic, and like the critic, when he goes in depth with something like oh say ” sonic SatAm” he does it in a stylish way. i say this man needs a gold medal, and to be paid.

Ness1985 said on Apr. 19, 2012

I unfortunately never grew up with Earthbound and I always questioned “Who is that kid?!” in Super Smash Bros. Melee! I took a look at the characters, laughed and said “That looks so stupid, it’s so…kiddy”. It was thanks to Derek’s video that inspired me to play Earthbound, especially when in the beginning he said “If you call yourself a retro, RPG gamer and you are not familiar with Earthbound…you should simply be ashamed of yourself”. I felt bad because RPG’s are my favorite genre of games, especially old classic and I’m a hardcore retro gamer. And, oh boy, I had no IDEA how much Earthbound is a true classic! Thank you Derek for waking up my dormant self…thank you from the bottom of my heart. I saw his original video in December 2011 and ever since I’ve experienced and completed Earthbound having no nostalgia for it whatsoever. I see what this game truly holds, all feelings and it was made with pure “heart”. Plus the fact that I was one of those kids growing up like so many others that went outside exploring in forests, getting into trouble ever now and then, finding snakes in the woods, climbing trees, playing BASEBALL…HA! Ever since then up til now, I’ve also experienced MOTHER 1 & 3. Looking up all of the history of the MOTHER series, sinking my teeth into tons of merchandise and quite possibly obsessing a little TOO much over it(It’s just TOO good). It’s my personal favorite game of all-time(next to MOTHER 3) and comes before nostalgia titles anyday. I am a MOTHER fanatic now! At the end of the day, MOTHER is about love & bonding. I love all the people who truly hold this series close to their hearts, I love Mato, Jeffman & Tomato for the fan translations. I wouldn’t be able to experience the joys(and tragicness) without them. I love the fine folks at Starmen.net and I love Shigesato Itoi for making such a breathtaking series!

LONG LIVE MOTHER!!! <3

Opinionated said on May. 5, 2012

I loved the HVGN’s EarthBound review (also histroy lesson) version II. That part where the review of EarthBound “needing more violence” is…:D

Now, if we could get Mr. Rolfe to look at EarthBound (“Wait, what’s this final dungeon? It looks like a —— upside down!)

misterdigi35 said on Apr. 9, 2013

well,now he has to remake the video.