January 20th, 2012 | MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge

A little while back I was browsing Reddit when I came across a site that delves into some connections, references, and similarities found in MOTHER 3. The site is called Flint’s Doorknob.

Some of it might just be coincidence, but some of it definitely seems to be on the mark. Check it out if you’re a Twin Peaks fan, Evangelion fan, or just a fan of MOTHER series trivia!

11 Comments to Exploring MOTHER 3’s Similarities

Poe said on Jan. 20, 2012

MOTHER 3 and Twin Peaks? I’m in.

JAMESGHOST said on Jan. 20, 2012

that guy in the first picture is giving me the heeby jeebys!

Kyle15 said on Jan. 20, 2012

This guy didn’t list one thing that seals the Twin Peaks deal; during the first time-skip chapter, Lucas’ grandpa will comment on the giant visiting him in a dream. There’s no way that’s a coincidence!

bahooney said on Jan. 20, 2012

Wow, those music pieces are in no way similar to one another…

Kris said on Jan. 20, 2012

While I do think some of these are grasping at straws, I have heard that Twin Peaks was fairly popular in Japan so it wouldn’t surprise me if Itoi-san were at least familiar with it.

Bucky said on Jan. 20, 2012

Well, his first example is a little out of place, since the Titiboo theme is just a basic blues riff, with stereotypical licks on top.

The Dance of the Dream and Beach Combing theme definitely share similarities. Badalamenti used similar tempos and jazz/industrial feels to his theme work.

What the blogger fails to realize is that the Earthbound and Lynchian plots are not original to either artist at all. That’s like saying Star Wars is an original plot. The comparison is right on the money, but I don’t think Itoi, or other makers of the series (Itoi seems to get more credit for everything, just as Lynch does with Twin Peaks), used any influence from Twin Peaks for Mother 3, or Earthbound for that matter.

I would compare Giygas or Porky to Bob, though. To me, that’s the most obvious.

Mato said on Jan. 20, 2012

Actually, Itoi’s gone on the record citing Twin Peaks as a source of inspiration: http://mother3.fobby.net/interview/m3int_04.html

Whether or not it influenced the musician is something else, though.

Anonymous said on Jan. 20, 2012

On that note, Twin Peaks has also been stated as an influence for Zelda characters.

I think Silent Hill is influenced by it as well.

Mato said on Jan. 20, 2012
Bucky said on Jan. 20, 2012

Okay. *Shrugs*

SeanPeden said on Jan. 27, 2012

David Lynch and MOTHER are my two favorite things, so…

Find Merchandise!

• EpicJackman: I personally prefer the pixel version. Magicant is probably my favorite stage in the game (then again, they’re all awesome). I...
  • Oniglut: For a second, I thought the article talked about the flying man being a part of the SSB4 roster. Which would have been hella cool but...
  • Raiden: Wow. This game has a die hard fanbase. It might be small but it’s really strong. It kinda makes me want to play this game again.
  • Anonymous: They probably haxed both of them at once to show the difference for people who haven’t played the game
  • TheConfuZzledDude: I still find it a bit strange how the pixel version is right next to it. Maybe it was supposed to go 3d when you tagged it?