Game Boy Micro System Mother 3 Deluxe Box Nintendo Japan NEW

January 23rd, 2012 | EarthBound, Hacking, Images

Good ol’ H.S has done it again with some awesome map hacking for the EarthBound Zero remake hack. This time H.S tackled the swamp part of the world, which you can see here:

If you’ve never played the original game or if you don’t remember it clearly, the original swamp area is here for reference:

This is one of those most grueling parts of the game, and it looks like it’ll still be pretty tough in the remake too. What’s even more impressive is that completely new map elements had to be hacked in for this – although the Deep Darkness stuff is swampy, it doesn’t have all the stuff the EarthBound Zero swamp had. So good job there, H.S!

For details and such about design decisions for this map, see here.

It’s still going to be a long, long time until this remake ever nears completion, but I love seeing it slowly coming together like this 😀

13 Comments to EarthBound Zero Remake: Swamp

Poe said on Jan. 23, 2012

Whoa, it’s completely unrecognizable when compared to the source! And it looks absolutely gorgeous. I was not fond of that part of the game at all, although I somehow managed to pick the exact right path the first time.

I couldn’t even tell it was a swamp in the original game, so I’m even more excited to play that remake!

So said on Jan. 23, 2012

awesome

TragicManner said on Jan. 23, 2012

I have to say, every time I see something from the remake, I get really excited. I would love to play through EB0 with Earthbound graphics.

What’s even more important to me, though, is I always have wondered how I would ever get my kids to play through Earthbound Zero, and I think this will make it much more accessible to them, and link it much more closely to the rest of the Mother series, if only because of the visual connection.

So thank you, EB0 remake team. When this is finished, it will not go unappreciated.

Leeaux said on Jan. 23, 2012

Anytime there’s an update on this, I’m smiles all week!

kenisu said on Jan. 24, 2012

Ohhh maaaan keep ’em comin’ H.S!

Vern said on Jan. 24, 2012

In the remake, new players who don’t know about the house might miss it. In the original, it’s directly on your path, but in the remake it’s after a fork…Hopefully there’s some cutscene or other so you know to take the upper path…

The broken bridge is a nice touch, btw.

Jaryl said on Jan. 24, 2012

The swamp looks really good with EB-graphics. And… maaaan, Earthbound Zero’s areas are frikkin’ huge, I’m impressed. O.o Well, I knew that it’s areas are kinda long and cruel, but wow…

H.S said on Jan. 24, 2012

Vern:
That’s a good point. One possible solution would be to place a sign at the base of the ramp leading to the house, and have the sign say something that directs the player to the house. It’s not quite the same as having the house right on the path, but I think most players would likely go to read the sign, instead of immediately taking the south path at the fork.

kenisu said on Jan. 24, 2012

While we’re on the subject, is there any particular reason Lloyd’s father’s trash can appears absent?

Mato said on Jan. 24, 2012

I assume it’s because that sort of thing would probably be handled with an NPC sprite, not regular map tiles.

H.S said on Jan. 24, 2012

Yeah, the trash can would be a sprite.

I initially make the maps and tilesets on a separate rom, and transfer them over to the master rom later. When you do this, the map data gets transferred, but not sprites. So, in most cases, I don’t put any sprites in the map at this stage, since I’d just end up having to redo that later.

FlyingManCourage said on Jan. 25, 2012

Looks impressive! Is there any way fans can support you guys H.S.? Is there a donation fund or a motivational inbox to which we can send love letters? 🙂

I need to hurry up and get through the original so I can REALLY enjoy this remake properly someday.

H.S said on Jan. 26, 2012

Well, I don’t have any kind of email address or website for this, but I think it’s good enough to just post a comment here, or in the project thread, or wherever.