January 16th, 2012 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

earthdyedred recently shared something he found – if you hug the bottom area of the first floor of the Fourside Department Store, you can leave the building without triggering the blackout event where Paula gets kidnapped. Here’s a video of it:

Of course, you still need to trigger it at some point to continue with the story, but if you find yourself in there sometime but want to leave for whatever reason (like reorganizing items or getting other stuff in order), now you can!

I actually think this might be old news to some folks (I seem to have a very vague memory of it myself, but that could just be old man stink) but it’s still nice to know nonetheless. Especially since that particular part of the game seems to be tough for newcomers.

14 Comments to Avoiding the Fourside Blackout

Blueflower999 said on Jan. 16, 2012

Very interesting. Well, it makes sense. It would look kinda weird if the Mook came and kidnapped Paula while running through the plants.

Earthbound_X said on Jan. 16, 2012

I think I might have done that before.

Nathalie said on Jan. 16, 2012

I did actually do this thing by accident in one of my many playthroughs a while ago, and I thought I had done something very wrong with the game, but I went inside the building again and then tried to walk out – and it was back to normal. Phew! 😉

blanonymous said on Jan. 16, 2012

I thought everybody knew about this? Hahaha I do it every playthrough to buy defensive gear so I don’t get my butt handed to me in there

yeah that’s right I’ve been playing this game since its release and I still worry about those department store buttholes

blanonymous said on Jan. 16, 2012

Actually that’s not true, I recently realized that the present-type enemies can only charge in one direction at a time and then pause briefly before tracking you down again, so with careful planning you can make it through hordes of the things without getting into a single fight.

blanonymous said on Jan. 16, 2012

wow disregard that first comment i haven’t slept, i forgot that the event doesn’t trigger until you’re on the way out

you can go ahead and just delete the three of these

or leave them to forever shame me……….

tlm said on Jan. 16, 2012

Not sure if this is happening to anyone else, but on the front page, every video is the same one. When I go on the actual page for the story, the video is fine.

Alxprit said on Jan. 16, 2012

@blanonymous Well, that is unless they’re waiting for you at the end of an escalator. Which they often do. =(

blanonymous said on Jan. 16, 2012

i dunno, with a bit of practice i usually find there’s just barely enough wiggle room to maneuver around them

maybe i just get really lucky each time i’m in there though

Zinco said on Jan. 18, 2012

“Newcomers?” Haha god I ALWAYS hate this part

Mato said on Jan. 18, 2012

Yeah, that’s one of the few parts in the game that, even though I know the game inside and out, enemies can still kick my butt if I’m not careful.

FlyingManCourage said on Jan. 18, 2012

I agree. If you don’t pay attention closely in the Dept. Store you can really get stomped out of nowhere. The challenge makes that part fun, though.

Brandon (earthdyedred) said on Jan. 18, 2012

Level grinding with all the good Fourside equipment might make the kidnapping easier. I’m curious.

Youkai said on Jan. 22, 2012

I’ve actually done this on my second play through over a decade ago. I somehow figured I’d skip the blackout by getting out of the way of the Dept. Store Spook by walking at the bottom of the screen, and to my surprise, it worked.