Fake MOTHER 3 DS Trailer
December 4th, 2011 | EarthBound
Most fans know by now that in the Japanese versions of the MOTHER games, the special techniques are called “PK”, like PK Fire, PK Freeze, etc. while in EarthBound, these were changed to “PSI”, as in PSI Fire, PSI Freeze, and so on. More info here.
It’s important to note that although PK became PSI in the localization process, there ARE some techniques in the MOTHER games that have “PSI” in the name, like “PSI Magnet” or “PSI Shield”. Also, in these cases, “PSI” is pronounced in Japanese like the “sci” in “science”, although English players are split between saying that and the letters P-S-I.
Anyway, the real question is, why was PK changed to PSI in the localization process in the first place? I’m not really sure myself, except that maybe someone thought it was weird having PK and PSI techniques and just wanted to make them all the same. Any thoughts?
Also, how do you personally pronounce PSI? Vote in the poll!
Other Related Posts:
146 Comments to PK vs. PSI, What Gives?
- Sat: 2000$ is almost what I’d pay for that jacket, gosh. Are those EB64 screenshots in full res ? Is there more to see? Even if we’ve...
- Fred bounder: You missed the pk album from fangamer!!
- KingOfSwords: For those who don’t know, the Lasagna Cat video is a reference to “Colin’s Bear Animation”:...
- neonix: Dang, somehow I didn’t catch wind of that ruler auction. I would have been in the bidding for it. Oh well, guess I’ll keep...
- Leeaux: And I just posted wondering where you went! Great stuff.