Earthbound (SNES)

December 8th, 2011 | Auctions, EarthBound

The other day I posted about an EarthBound poster that was listed on eBay. Well, the auction ended not too long ago, and the final price was staggering, even by EarthBound merch standards: $1225 😯

Holy Giygas that’s a lot of money. Quick, everyone! Search all old warehouses, garbage dumps, and underground Stonehenge bases for any remaining posters!

42 Comments to EarthBound Poster Sells for $1225

2Sang said on Dec. 8, 2011

Either someone’s rich or beyond obsessed. I love EB so much but I’d never spend that much on a poster.

Poe said on Dec. 8, 2011

Seriously jealous of the seller right now, but I wonder if he’s gonna lose at least $200 in eBay fees alone D:

Alex said on Dec. 8, 2011

That is too much money for a poster sorry

Onion said on Dec. 8, 2011

This is insane. With the way merch prices are going, EB goods are going to be a hedge against inflation in no time.

Satsy said on Dec. 8, 2011

(I was always more partial to ‘holy fry pan’…)

That is an insane ending price. I know the posters are rare and all but that’s quite the drop. I could have bought all the manga for that.

Bread said on Dec. 8, 2011

O.O

Bread said on Dec. 8, 2011

Just go to garage sells they could have em’.

G.Wicks said on Dec. 8, 2011

Ridiculous.

The World Is Square said on Dec. 8, 2011

It is a little crazy how expensive EB stuff is selling for. I thought it would have peaked out when M3 came out, but it just keeps climbing and climbing!

FlyingManCourage said on Dec. 8, 2011

I wish I had $1200 in my poster fund.

Pepper said on Dec. 8, 2011

Crazy. I asked for a figure for Christmas. But at the price this stuff is going my family is gonna think I’m nuts.

Huks said on Dec. 8, 2011

I was actually expecting the price to be around $1500-2000, because brand new EarthBound copies can cost over $1000, and the poster is much rarer than EB. Then again, I guess there’s more demand for an actual playable game than a poster.

Christie said on Dec. 8, 2011

Does no one else see the irony in all of this? Prices within the actual game could be this high (well, give or take a few hundred) for something as low cost as a bottle of water. I find it funny how Earthbound’s inflation in the game transcended to its merchandise in real life some 16 years later.

neonix said on Dec. 9, 2011

^Lol, pretty good point. I agree, it is pretty ironic.

DD said on Dec. 9, 2011

Wow! That’s a great sell. Maybe I should start looking for stuff to sell.

Christie does make a good point. Never thought of it like that.

? said on Dec. 9, 2011

disgusting

Charley Feher said on Dec. 9, 2011

Maybe the individual whom bought is a wealthy individual with a lot of ‘disposable income’ and also happens to be a huge EarthBound fan? or a EB fan in a low cost living situation (*cough* lives with parents *cough*) that allows them extra money that can be spent on items like this?

…either that, or they’re very obsessed, broke, and have no idea how to spend their money.

Bionic said on Dec. 9, 2011

I was bummed…I tried bidding on the poster but when it went up that high, I knew I couldn’t compete. $1225 is just too much for a poster! I had no idea it was going to sell for that much!

DD said on Dec. 9, 2011

@Bionic: That happened to me once. I tried bidding on an item I thought would be nice to have, but the prices sky-rocketed.

Brick Road said on Dec. 9, 2011

@DD, I recently just got into EB, and I’m new to this site. I’m assuming that EB stuff is hard to get one eBay. Better start saving then ;). And holy cow $1225!

FlyingManCourage said on Dec. 9, 2011

You guys do realize that sites like these are what drives these prices up, don’t you. It is simple supply and demand. The supply is fixed and isn’t changing, yet everyday more and more people discover EB and/or deepen their love for the game, and that inevitably increases demand. Increased demand with ANY fixed supply (regardless of rarity/age) will drive prices right through the roof.

FlyingManCourage said on Dec. 9, 2011

…which doesn’t bother me. I’ve had my access to EarthBound since 1995. Sure it would be mice to pick up some affordable collectivize but I’d rather see the game breathing this “new life” that sm.net and EBC.com (among others) have given EarthBound.

KingMike said on Dec. 9, 2011

Someone want to explain something on ebay?
I thought it was impossible to outbid yourself. So why is the bid history largely one person (more suspiciously, one with zero feedback).
If they are an actual fan/collector making honest bids, shouldn’t we see counter bids?
(I know I read of one idiot on another forum who claimed he was purposely raising the bids on every EB auction. He was expecting to not win any of them, just wanted to inflate the price for legit winners.)

CB said on Dec. 10, 2011

No worries, the poster went to a gigantic, and perhaps slightly obsessed, EarthBound fan. Before anyone tells me how crazy I am, don’t worry I know. Just wanted to give you guys some answers and let you know I’m a HUGE EarthBound fan! (Not rich, and definitely not living with my parents. I just save till I find something worthwhile 🙂

FlyingManCourage said on Dec. 10, 2011

@CB, we would like very much for you to make scans for us to print. Whaddyassay?

Carl said on Dec. 10, 2011

KingMike,

You actually can raise your bid at any time, even if you’re already the high bidder.

CB said on Dec. 10, 2011

I’m actually going to have to agree with neonix on this one:

“About scanning and uploading the poster for re-prints, there are a few complications:
Keeping in mind the things are very rare, having even ONE re-print (let alone a digital copy that allows for unlimited re-prints) devalues all the originals. Yes, many collectors would still pride in owning an original, but many less serious collectors would be apathetic towards the difference, and that creates less demand for the original and a decreased value. So anyone who owns one would be silly to upload a scan and kill their investment. Furthermore even if an owner was willing to upload a scan, it would be difficult. Scanning it on a home scanner of some sort would require scanning about a dozen or more divisions of it and then carefully lining them up and stitching them together in some photo-editing software. You could use a big commercial scanner at some print shop or Fedex Office, but then you have to hope the thing doesn’t eat up, mangle, burn, stain, or otherwise destroy your rare and expensive poster.”

It’s not that I don’t want to, because I think it would be great for my fellow EarthBound fans to also have this, but the thought of it getting ruined while attempting to scan it scares the hell out of me.

Poe said on Dec. 10, 2011

Whoa, here’s the buyer! I admire your dedication, CB.

Poe said on Dec. 10, 2011

@KingMike, my guess with that is that someone (most likely CB) set his max bid, and the newcomer tried to bid, but was immediately outbid by CB because his max bid was much higher than the newcomer’s. So that’s why it sometimes look like someone has bid over and over with no counter bid – it’s really because they bid lower than someone else’s max bid.

CB said on Dec. 10, 2011

@Poe, Close but there was another serious buyer besides myself that I had to outbid to get it, the newcomer didnt even come close to the other serious buyer or my max bid. And thank you, I am trying to complete an EarthBound mural, so to speak, on my wall and finding this at this time was just a right place at the right time kind of thing.

Poe said on Dec. 10, 2011

Will you take a picture of your mural once you receive the poster? 😀

CB said on Dec. 10, 2011

sure thing, im waiting on two more things also but as soon as I get everything and put it up i will upload a pic of it

CB said on Dec. 10, 2011

The picture of the “EarthBound Wall” will probably be very late December or early January, I’m waiting on some merch from Japan, so that will take a while, but I will be sure to put up a pic as soon as possible, also I’m looking for the insert that holds the EarthBound game in the box if anyone knows where to find one I would appreciate some help with that.

NT said on Dec. 11, 2011

Tch what is this? “Holy Giygas” is the largest oxymoron since “The Beatles suck”.

neonix said on Dec. 13, 2011

CB, a mural kinda thing sounds cool. Looking forward to seeing it. Might inspire me to rearrange and centralize all my EB stuff that’s on my walls.

CB said on Dec. 14, 2011

Thank you, unfortunately I have not found a lot of actual EarthBound merch (no fan made stuff) so I don’t have a lot, so I have gotten a small amount of Mother 2 stuff too, and possibly looking to add Onion’s sticker book with what I have already.

anonymous said on Dec. 30, 2011

that is a lot of money

Anonymous said on Jan. 1, 2012

Welp, I tried. Was sure with how high I was willing to go I’d get it, and to be fair I came pretty close, but goddamn some people are crazy XD

Gratz to the winner and needless to say I’m pretty jealous 😉

AltoMaximus said on Jan. 2, 2012

Jeez!
Not to be rude, but why would a poster sell more then the actual game itself?
I mean I would want that, but still.
It just doesn’t make too much sense to me.

Moai Ou said on Apr. 10, 2012

Holy crap! I knew they were rare, but not THAT rare. I got mine back when the game came out from a mom & pop video store for $1. I suddenly have the strong urge to get that sucker framed.

Paula Polestar said on May. 23, 2012

@AltoMaximus:
The game never really was popular in the United States due to its so called “horrid graphics” so the game kind of went underground. Then, there were websites like these (THANK GOD!!!) and fans kept popping up everywhere.

BUT $1225 IS A WHOLE ZOMBIE-TENT-LOAD OF CASH!

CameronSU said on Feb. 14, 2013

wow Moai Ou, I would seriously cough up some serious dough for your poster if you still have it…