December 1st, 2011 | Auctions, EarthBound

I got a bunch of e-mails from people over the night that an EarthBound poster showed up on eBay recently. Here’s the description:

OK GET READY-HERE IT IS! AN ORIGINAL EARTHBOUND POSTER FROM 1995 ADVERTISING THE RELEASE OF THE SNES GAME ” EARTHBOUND.”

WE HAD A COUPLE VIDEO STORES IN THE 90’s AND WE RECEIVED THIS POSTER THAT WAS NEVER USED. IT HAS BEEN ROLLED UP ( THEY WERE SHIPPED ROLLED ) SINCE WE RECEIVED IT. I GUESS THIS WOULD QUALIFY AS BEING NEW, BUT I DIDN’T LIST AS NEW BECAUSE OF ITS AGE. THIS MAY BE THE NICEST ONE ANYWHERE. IT ONLY HAS A COUPLE SMALL SPOTS ( SHOWN IN PICTURE ) ON THE VERY BOTTOM LEFT CORNER, I GUESS MAYBE FROM INSIDE WHEN IT WAS ROLLED UP. IT HAS NO HOLES, TEARS, ETC. IT IS TRULY IN EXTRA NICE CONDITION FOR A POSTER.

THIS POSTER WAS RELEASED IN 1995 BY NINTENDO OF AMERICA. IT MEASURES 27″ BY 40.” IT IS EXTREMELY RARE! I GUESS THIS EARTHBOUND WOULD ALMOST QUALIFY AS THE ” MONA LISA ” OF VIDEO GAME POSTERS. I AM SURE THIS RARE POSTER WILL INCREASE IN VALUE OVER TIME , SIMPLY BECAUSE OF DEMAND AND SCARCITY.

THIS POSTER IS VERY RARE AND I WANT TO BE SURE THE BIDDER IS PLEASED BEFORE THEY BID. IF YOU ARE UNSURE, OR HAVE ANY QUESTIONS , PLEASE CONTACT ME THROUGH EBAY, AND I’LL ASSIST YOU ANYWAY I CAN, BUT PLEASE DON’T ASK MY RESERVE, IT IS LESS THAN THESE ARE VALUED AT AND I WANT THE TOP BIDDER TO GET IT.

I KNOW IT PROBABLY DOESN’T MATTER, BUT JUST SO YOU KNOW, THIS POSTER DOES HAVE A FEW SMALL MARKS, OR STAINS ” ON THE BACKSIDE ” , WHICH YOU WON’T SEE WHEN DISPLAYED. THANKS AND “MERRY CHRISTMAS.

It’s indeed rare to see these for sale, although we were lucky enough to see one a few months ago too. They seem to go for pretty crazy prices too, so if you’re interested be ready for some crazy bidding battles 😯

Thanks to everyone who sent in news about this – if you find any other cool stuff let me know!

58 Comments to EarthBound Poster for Sale!

man said on Dec. 1, 2011

Still want these reprinted πŸ™

Anonymous said on Dec. 1, 2011

COOL DESCRIPTION MAN BUT COOL IT WITH CAPS LOCK NEXT TIME OKAY

Mato said on Dec. 1, 2011

Maybe they only had access to an old-timey telegraph or something πŸ˜›

FlyingManCourage said on Dec. 1, 2011

Re-print is definitely in order. Awesome poster. I wish someone would make a whole load of different EB posters.

I actually noticed this on the EBC gadget that shows current eBay auctions.

FlyingManCourage said on Dec. 1, 2011

There’s another one up now, also. It’s some kind of ad poster:

RadicOmega said on Dec. 1, 2011

@ANONYMOUS, I THOUGHT THAT PEOPLE TALK LIKE THIS WHEN THEY ARE YELLING OR HAVE SOMETHING OT SAY!!!!!!!!!! πŸ˜‰

BigDream said on Dec. 1, 2011

If only I had money to buy something so awesome like that…

neonix said on Dec. 1, 2011

Hmmm… Looks so nice! I may want to jump at this one and upgrade from my slightly torn one… lol

FlyingManCourage said on Dec. 1, 2011

There is another EarthBound poster up on eBay right now. Some kind of advertisement poster. Does look as cool as this one.

RandomGuardian said on Dec. 1, 2011

I like how the seller typed quite frank but still gave us all the information buyers would want to know.
He certainly did his research!

ben said on Dec. 1, 2011

I like how the reserve price hasn’t been met at $172.50

American Gamer said on Dec. 1, 2011

I wonder what he means by “ON THE BACKSIDE”…

2Sang said on Dec. 1, 2011

Someone’s actually auctioning off a 97 e3 package with stuff from eb64 right now too. Going for like 50 bucks

Poe said on Dec. 1, 2011

2Sang – got a link to that auction?

PK Rockin said on Dec. 2, 2011

I would LOVE to get one of those posters. Unfortunately, I can’t afford it.

questionsleep said on Dec. 2, 2011

Someone ought to just scan one of theirs, and release the scans online so everybody can have one printed for themselves.

RadicOmega said on Dec. 2, 2011

@questionsleep, I think that can happen. But isnt there a COPY right law?! Get it. But seriously, can you re-print a copy righted paper? I think you can,

Onion said on Dec. 2, 2011

It’ll be interesting to see how much this one goes for, that’s for sure.

Bread said on Dec. 2, 2011

Why do idiots bid 3 weeks before the ending of the auction?
Please Anwser. T.T

Poe said on Dec. 2, 2011

I dunno, man, everyone has their own preference for doing things. You can set a max bid that automatically outbids someone who bids anything lower than you, so that could be one reason.

Carl said on Dec. 2, 2011

I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking, Bread. The idea behind eBay’s proxy bidding system is that you enter the highest amount you’re willing to pay for the item, then eBay will automatically increase your bid as appropriate unless someone outbids you. The whole point of this system is that you don’t have to worry about increasing your bid later or anything like that; eBay does it for you automatically.

Bread said on Dec. 2, 2011

@Carl

It makes it more expensive if you bid like that
thats what i’m saying Carl

neonix said on Dec. 2, 2011

About scanning and uploading the poster for re-prints, there are a few complications:

Keeping in mind the things are very rare, having even ONE re-print (let alone a digital copy that allows for unlimited re-prints) devalues all the originals. Yes, many collectors would still pride in owning an original, but many less serious collectors would be apathetic towards the difference, and that creates less demand for the original and a decreased value. So anyone who owns one would be silly to upload a scan and kill their investment.

Furthermore even if an owner was willing to upload a scan, it would be difficult. Scanning it on a home scanner of some sort would require scanning about a dozen or more divisions of it and then carefully lining them up and stitching them together in some photo-editing software. You could use a big commercial scanner at some print shop or Fedex Office, but then you have to hope the thing doesn’t eat up, mangle, burn, stain, or otherwise destroy your rare and expensive poster.

neonix said on Dec. 2, 2011

And just because I want to say it (and maybe it will give an idea to someone who one day does intend to scan and upload this poster), if I were to scan it, I’d probably change something in the poster that differentiated it from the originals, even if it was just the word “COPY” or “REPRODUCTION” somewhere on a corner or something. Or only upload it in a smaller printable size. That just seems like the appropriate thing to do to help protect the value and desirability of the originals.

neonix said on Dec. 2, 2011

Oh and @FlyingManCourage: Don’t be fooled, that ad is just one of the previews from an old Nintendo Power. I’m not sure which issue that one is from, but I know you can find them all in good condition on ebay for a few bucks. I went and bought a copy of each one a while back. They’re not worth too much. So getting them is actually a nice inexpensive way to get some cool wall decorations πŸ™‚

Or a nice way to fool someone into paying a lot for something that is otherwise cheap…

Poe said on Dec. 2, 2011

Agreeing with neonix. If I owned one of the EB posters, I certainly would NOT scan it so that others could print their own copies. No way.

Just recently I saw a bunch of mini Mr. Saturn plushes selling on eBay for $1 each. The plushes did not come with tags, so that plus the extremely low price is a good indication that those plushes were bootlegs. Because of that, the mini Mr. Saturn plushes have been devalued, I’m afraid πŸ™

Carl said on Dec. 2, 2011

@Bread:

What do you mean, “It makes it more expensive if you bid like that?” What other way is there to bid? You tell eBay the highest amount you’re willing to pay for the item, and if no one is willing to pay more, you’ll get the item for a bit more than the second-highest bid. It doesn’t matter WHEN you put your bid in, only whether or not it is the highest.

Bread said on Dec. 2, 2011

I just start bidding at the end of the auction

PK Rockin said on Dec. 2, 2011

So do I.

Mato said on Dec. 2, 2011

Carl: I’m not an expert on the subject, but from what I’ve learned (mostly from the past month selling stuff) there are two main types of bidders: the Casual Buyer and the Gotta Have It Buyer.

The Casual Buyer is the kind of guy who’s like, “You know, it’d be nice to have this item, I’m willing to spend this much, but if I don’t win it, oh well, no big deal.”

The Gotta Have It Buyer HAS to win a certain item in question. They’re willing to put in extra work to get it.

So probably 90% of stuff on eBay is perfect for the casual buyer – there isn’t much heavy bidding on stuff, and it’s easy to win something without trying. So the idea of “just bid as high as you’re willing to go the first time and then let it go from there” works well in those cases.

When it comes to really hot, coveted items, that doesn’t work so well – the “gotta have it” guys have various techniques for making sure they win the item in question. From what I can tell, one way is to bid in slow increments to sort of “feel” what the current max bid is – doesn’t sound bad but this way they can essentially bid a quarter over someone else’s max bid at the last second and win the item. For a measly quarter.

So with big items like this, the casual bidders are almost assuredly not going to win the item and are effectively only pushing up the final price for the “gotta have it” guys. The “gotta have it” guys are still going to win it, they’ll just end up paying more than they’d REALLY like – in an ideal world (for them) the casual folks would realize, “No way am I gonna win this” and move on, which keeps the price low until the “who can snipe the fastest” battle at the very last minute.

Also, the more bids (and the higher the bids) early on, the more attention an auction tends to receive, and the more attention an item gets the less likely your chances are at winning it. Which is partly why sometimes fans are like, “Grargh I was hoping you wouldn’t post about so-and-so auction Mato, I was hoping no one would notice it so I could get it!” But that’s another story altogether πŸ˜›

Anyway, that’s why you’ll often see people making comments about “why do people bother bidding so early in advance” in regards to big items.

I’m sure there’s actually a loooot more analysis that can be done about bidding habits among online auction users, in fact I’d be surprised if there aren’t already many books on the subject. But the above is just what I’ve gathered from my personal experience, your mileage may vary.

Whew!

SvenCreg said on Dec. 2, 2011

Speaking of Earthbound related Ebay stuff. Someone needs to get these guys shut down. They producing fake box/cover art and selling it for $40 a shot.

Bread said on Dec. 3, 2011

@Mato
Did that take 3 Hours? O.o

Poe said on Dec. 3, 2011

@SvenCreg – if people want to pay $40 for a fake box, that’s their decision. The auction says there’s no game included, so there’s really nothing wrong with it. The only problem I have is that he doesn’t mention it’s fan-made, but yet he also doesn’t claim that it’s official. Nothing we can do about it.

? said on Dec. 3, 2011

This is why people hate gamers. If it’s 200 years old in any condition it’s rare, if it’s not even 20 years old and has a f*****g UPC #, it ain’t RARE! Have some self-respect people.

I would be willing to bet any amount of money there are at least another 5,000 of these things floating around somewhere.

On a side note, I wiped my butt and it sorta looks like Starman, any of you chumps want to pay me $1000 for this, ahem…RARITY?

RandomGuardian said on Dec. 3, 2011

Ahem correction, how much Mario crap can you get online. Hell, there is still Mario stuff being sold. This is perfect condition of a financial failure that remaind popular within most gamers despite Earthbound being the only version of MOTHER that came to us stores. European fans would pay shit loads of money for this seeing as they never got ANY MOTHER merchandise.

P.S. Things don’t have to be in perfect condition to be collectible. Some objects are even discouraged from being refurbished. One collector bought one of my rust broken bicycle for around 40 bucks eventhough I was going to sell it at a garage sale for 1 buck.

P.S.O.A.P.S no I will not buy your tolet paper with a starmen on it. It was never sanctioned by Nintendo or Itoi so it’s worthless.

aorta said on Dec. 3, 2011

@?

As talented as you think you may be, that is not a rarity. That is just your crappy fanart.

thewalrus said on Dec. 4, 2011

There is a relatively hi-res scan of the poster here:

neonix said on Dec. 4, 2011

@? – You sound like you’re mad that you can’t afford this poster haha

I don’t think anyone’s sure why the poster had a barcode. It may have been used internally by the company that printed it, maybe a simple numbering system to record how many of what they printed. The barcode is 000000322713, which seems like an incremental number to me. These posters were never sold retail though; only sent to game stores and such. And most of those stores likely tossed the thing in the garbage like they do with much of the promotional material that comes and goes.

Nobody5000 said on Dec. 4, 2011

@neonix, would you rather save something with absolute no value, throw it away, or save it till it has worth. Right now I have the original Mario for the NES given to me by family and I’m waiting a while until its value increases.

neonix said on Dec. 4, 2011

@thewalrus – That image is decent to show what the poster looks like, but it’s nowhere near high resolution. A printable image would need to be at least 300dpi for full quality. And the poster is 27×40″ so that’s 8100×12000 pixels. That picture is only 535×800, less than 7% of how large it needs to be, lol.

neonix said on Dec. 4, 2011

@Nobody5000 – I don’t understand your point. ?’s original argument was that this poster is not rare and hence not worth what people are bidding on it.

And just food for thought, this poster (as well as any EB merch) could actually lose value with age actually, one day maybe when less and less original EB fans are on the internet (lol it could happen) and when many of them have stopped collecting or moved onto collecting something else. And this kind of risk runs for a lot of collectibles, especially stuff like EB merch where it’s based off a finished cult-classic series whose fanbase is a relatively small niche.

Nobody5000 said on Dec. 4, 2011

@Neonix I originally tried to stop the argumen with ? But it was deleted. But my point was proven wrong lol! Anyways though, ? did bring up a point

Bread said on Dec. 6, 2011

1 day left

neonix said on Dec. 6, 2011

But his point is moot. Yes, there *MAY* be thousands more of these posters somewhere (very unlikely), but we have no proof of that. Until a large number of these show up, the poster is considered rare.

There could be a lot more oil somewhere deep in the Earth’s crust, but does that possibility make oil any cheaper? No, not until more is actually found.

RandomGuardian said on Dec. 6, 2011

Lol later I posted that I thought he was a troll and we should ignore him but it got deleted as well.

Bread said on Dec. 7, 2011

My comment did too

RadicOmega said on Dec. 7, 2011

So was mine, I figured since we tried to stop it shouldn’t ?’s be too?

Bread said on Dec. 7, 2011

yeah lets stop before they delete our comments then our acounts! 0.0

RadicOmega said on Dec. 7, 2011

Hey, do I see a new EB poster for sale?!?! for $6?!?!?!

neonix said on Dec. 7, 2011

Holy shit. I’m surprised how much this sold for. $1,225! I thought it would go for maybe $500-750 at most, but wow. Seems one of the bidders that brought it up Fromm 350 to 1000 was a new account with 0 feedback. I wonder if that was a shill account.

Bread said on Dec. 8, 2011

T.T

Anonymous said on Dec. 17, 2011

Is it too much to ask for one of you countless talented fan artists to invest some of your collector’s dough into making a few affordable posters?

RadicOmega said on Dec. 24, 2011

Is that legal? I have been searching the internet for 30 minuets, and I haven’t found anything (Reliable) on the internet that said this was legal or ilegal.

Rhyselinn said on Dec. 25, 2011

Just out of curiosity, do we know who got the poster? Neonix, Onion, LucasTizma, somebody else?

Anonymous said on Dec. 25, 2011

I don’t think it was a repeat of the whole Carl thing, they probably won’t post here if they bought it.

RadicOmega said on Dec. 25, 2011

Maybe not. If I were Carl, it would’be took some thinking. I’d have the worry of being trolled apon. Maybe the guy who bought this had the same run in… but there were some BIG spenders. And some people may have been disappointed.

You know, some times people can send viruses through a comment like this to the original source of the sender, and literally take over your computer. But I doubt someone on eBay would be that crazy. O_O

Poe said on Dec. 26, 2011