December 21st, 2011 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

After you defeat Giygas in EarthBound, you’re free to explore the world and see how it’s been changed. There are so many changes though that many players don’t get to see them all – so here’s a handy video courtesy of Ikariamology showcasing most of them!

It looks like chuggaaconroy’s ending FAQ is being used as the base here. I seem to recall when working on this Mother 2 / EarthBound comparison page that his FAQ was missing a handful of things, so there’s probably even more to check out. If you can think of anything that can be added, speak up now or forever hold your peas!

11 Comments to EarthBound Ending Changes

BigDream said on Dec. 21, 2011

First to comment!!! BTW GREAT VIDEO!

G.Wicks said on Dec. 21, 2011

EB has massive amounts of dialogue. You can honestly play the game for hours after beating Giygas, and that’s awesome. The fact that Itoi and co. put so much text in the game that can be accessed only AFTER you beat it is not only super innovative and ahead of it’s time, but it also shows how much of a labor of love this game truly was, and that’s part of what makes it stand out so much compared to other games of its era and the modern era. EB is still such a unique experience.

Kevin G said on Dec. 21, 2011

From the FAQ:
“A man sitting at the bottom of a cliff farts.”

Sounds like a Chinese proverb or something lmao.

Ikariamology said on Dec. 21, 2011

Thank you so much for posting this on your site. I really appreciate it.

FlyingManCourage said on Dec. 21, 2011

I watched this video for about 30 seconds and then I realized I still cherish my sense of surprise when I find some new change I hadn’t noticed before when wandering aimlessly around after beating Giygas.

Great work on the video, but I’m afraid I have to prohibit myself from ever watching it! :)

Radiostorm said on Dec. 22, 2011

Super Nintendo roleplaying games had a knack for offering really satisfying endings. In the early 90s, it was still kind of novel for a game to last 20+ hours from start to finish, so I think developers really wanted to reward the player for making it through. EarthBound, Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger – Chrono Trigger! I swear, more thought was put into the ending(s) of Chrono Trigger than go into entire games nowadays.

Giygas101 said on Dec. 23, 2011

do you get to join the sharks club after you beat the game?

buttholegrinch said on Dec. 23, 2011

your voice is mega annoying. great video, otherwise. your voice turned my brain into boogers.

Youkai said on Dec. 24, 2011

The narrator is really annoying. Also, the farting guy has always said that, so it’s not a change.

NessDad said on Dec. 31, 2011

I can’t believe no one did this before him. Many thanks to the person who did it.

zipperz said on Jan. 5, 2012

@ giygas 101:

no! you can’t =( and i believe that all the arcade dialogue remains the same