December 28th, 2011 | EarthBound, Misc.

Travis sent this to me the other day, check it out:

Through travel, birthdays, dating, engagement, marriage and now the expectation of a child- Earthbound keeps being brought to the surface in my life. In fact almost every month of 2011 I received some sort of Earthbound reminder.

People who didn’t previously know about the Mother series are now aware of it because they know that I like it. One of my favorite “Earthbound reminders” this year is that my fiance gave me a custom made Earthbound jigsaw puzzle as an engagement gift. She used the amazing art piece “Good Friends Bad Friends” from viking011 as the picture of the puzzle.

Check out my blog for more “Earthbound Reminders” that occured in my life in 2011: click here

Definitely check out his article and his photos sometime :D And man, that’s an awesome idea for a puzzle! It’s always really cool to see how this simple game has helped shape people’s lives. Even if it sounds really corny, it really does happen – I know because I’m living proof too :P

Has this been the case with anyone else? Has EarthBound (or any other game, actually) had an impact on your life somehow? I’m curious to know!

22 Comments to 2011 The Year of EarthBound

Poe said on Dec. 28, 2011

d’awwww :)

Gabriel said on Dec. 28, 2011

Well, if you must know, there HAS been something that has had an enormous impact on my life. Maybe not quite to the scale as that Travis, but I thought it was similar. Anyway, it’s not EarthBound which changed my life so dramatically, but Homestuck.

CrouchingMouse said on Dec. 28, 2011

If I hadn’t gotten curious about Mother/Earthbound after seeing Lucas in Brawl, I wouldn’t have found Starmen.net and the Mother 3 translation project, and I’d never have switched my major to Japanese; now I’m studying something I love and getting ready to go to Japan next fall. It’s a long story, but I’m happy things turned out the way they did.

LucasPSI said on Dec. 28, 2011

I started out as Lucas in brawl then I found out about Mother 3 then it became my favorite game. That is my life story…yup…right there…

JesusLovesNess said on Dec. 28, 2011

We had an interesting discussion about this on Starmen.net about a year ago. It is fun to read about the EB process people go through as they are introduced, hooked and then begin a path of seeking out others who have had a similar journey as them…

Here is the link:

Anonymous Soul said on Dec. 28, 2011

Such a huge impact. I can’t even describe. My life would be in a really different place right now if not for this series. Really different.

Nesskid said on Dec. 28, 2011

After the GPP we had in Madison there’s a video of me on a very, very drunken rant about how Earthbound made me quit school and get my GED.

GiegueStrikesBack said on Dec. 29, 2011

Well mother 3 helped me overcome changes in my life, like my surroundings, or my families mortality
Mother 2 helped me understand that we all have a potential inside waiting to “awaken”
And mother 1 helped me get over the thought of meaningless, that we all have a part in this world

MrSaturn03 said on Dec. 29, 2011

It’s true! Earthbound/Mother (and this site!) helped change my life! I discovered this site in June, and was always hooked on it, checking it every day! I love this site! Thank you Mato!

But Earthbound taught me the meaning of friendship, and after going through drama with friends, I realize who my real ones are!

Other than that, I need to play Mother 3! I know it has an amazing story!:P

Vanasto said on Dec. 29, 2011

EarthBound certainly influenced my life, and it’s stayed with me since I played through it not too long after its initial release. It’s just a more colorful and heartfelt game than many that came out at that time, when I was an impressionable adolescent. Other games that stood out for me were the classic Nintendo titles from NES/SNES like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Punch-Out!! I enjoyed the way that they were well-designed, clean, straightforward and wholesome. Japanese quality through and through. I also appreciated getting to play some of the first console RPG’s from the Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior back then) and Final Fantasy series. Definitely groundbreaking and fascinating to play.

Other quality games I grew up on:
Konami’s Castlevania, Metal Gear, Contra, TMNT and Simpsons arcade games
Capcom’s Mega Man, Final Fight (and similar side-scroll beat-em-ups), Street Fighter series, Breath of Fire
Tecmo’s Ninja Gaiden
Taito’s Bubble Bobble and Double Dragon
Neo-Geo’s various arcade games
Namco’s quality arcade games

Obviously I’m a big fan of Japanese video games, and I think the main way they’ve inspired me is that they were my gateway into Japanese sensibilities that is now coming into fruition, as I’m now finally going through school as a Japanese major in order to work as a translator. You’re one of the translation sempai that I look to with respect, ‘Mato! And a late thanks for tackling Mother 3 – I never did say that on the blog back then…

Vanasto said on Dec. 29, 2011

Whoops, just looked it up and Double Dragon was done by *Technos*, not Taito. My apologies to any of the venerable members of the development team that might have been offended by me getting that wrong and then realizing it and posting this correction 2 minutes later… to make up for it, once I’m proficient enough in Japanese, I’ll do a fan re-translation of the Double Dragon series since the original script wasn’t given the proper treatment by those lazy bums on the U.S. localization crew! And if they don’t take me to court afterwards then I’ll soldier on to polish up Super Dodgeball, Super Spike V’Ball, and River City Ransom…

Pepper said on Dec. 29, 2011

Earthbound actually resurfaced for me at a time when I was going through some major self-discovery. I had some bad experiences over the past couple years and decided to chill out and focus on my current job. Then I discovered this community and was amazed at how dedicated and genuine it was. So I lurked for a long time (I was a little intimidated) and then I finally started to participate a little.

So I just wanted to say that I appreciate everything you guys do. You’ve helped me to climb out of some mental holes I’ve dug myself in. You’ve done a wonderful job creating a respectful community that I’m glad to associate myself with. The Mother series is a truly wonderful series that gets to me like no other so I sincerely thank you for every contribution. Keep on keepin’ on.

sagyiG said on Dec. 29, 2011

I’m not going to get into details as to why I was depressed, I don’t want to have a wall of text like everyone else. I pretty much decided I was going to kill myself eventually. People told me to wait it out and I’d be fine, so I played through Earthbound again to waste time. It delayed what I wanted to do, but it wasn’t enough. So, I took my cartridge and put it in my backpack wherever I went. It made me feel a lot better.

In the end, it delayed my want long enough so that things could get better. I have Earthbound to thank for saving my life, pretty much.

yaomtc said on Dec. 29, 2011
Onett Resident said on Dec. 29, 2011

I started playing Mother this year in summer I beat both Mother 1 and 2 enjoyed them entirely

Onett Resident said on Dec. 29, 2011

The Mother series changed my life as well, I am no longer the same person as I was before this summer

DD said on Dec. 30, 2011

It’s great to hear everyone’s stories. My life hasn’t been directly changed, but inside as a person Earthbound/Mother has inspired me.

Erikku8 said on Dec. 30, 2011

My first exposure to EarthBound was around the time I started fifth grade. As I like to draw, naturally, I’ve drawn a lot of EarthBound stuff since that time. So, I can say that EarthBound has influenced my art style to some degree. I also cite Tomato’s old Mother 2 vs. EarthBound site as one of the reasons I started teaching myself Japanese.

BlackSmith said on Dec. 30, 2011

I’m learning Japanese by myself. I want to enjoy more of the Mother series and other unlocalized (or mistranslated) games.

NessDad said on Dec. 31, 2011

And they say video games aren’t life-changing.

TalonKhan said on Jan. 1, 2012

Happy New year everybody lets hope this year is a good one or for pessimists like me lets hope this year doesn’t suck as much. :B

JesusLovesNess said on Jan. 1, 2012

yaomtc thanks for linking viking011′s pic!