MOTHER 2 Game Center CX Subtitled
When EarthBound was released, everyone thought that the ultra-rare Gutsy Bat weapon could only be obtained by defeating a Kraken enemy in the Sea of Eden. Given that there are like only three of them in there and they’re permanently gone after you defeat them, many kids were frustrated when trying to win the bat.
The thing is, though, that the Gutsy Bat ISN’T dropped by Krakens. They’re dropped by Bionic Krakens in the last dungeon of the game!
So how did this myth come about? Why, the player’s guide that came with the game, of course!
This has lead to a few questions I’ve never been able to answer:
- Some players SWEAR that they’ve gotten the bat from normal Krakens, even though it’s been proven not possible. So is this a case of faulty memory, lies turning into false memories, or is there really a rare version of the game out there that lets you get Gutsy Bats from Krakens that none of us know about?
- How did they get that screenshot for the guide? If the normal Kraken dropped the Gutsy Bat at some point, why did they change it to the Bionic Kraken at the last second? Especially when it’s the Bionic Kraken that drops the bat in the original Japanese version?
Very strange stuff. Anyone have any ideas? I think the Kraken & Gutsy Bat myth spread in other ways too back in the day, but I don’t recall where. Does anyone remember?
Other Related Posts:
36 Comments to The Gutsy Bat is a Lie
- That Guy: Plenty of folk here saying “Ah, just more rumors, just like all the other rumors.” Those rumors were before the game was put...
- Parkraft123: @Alec Sega actually contracted 2 Sonic Fan game developers to do the mobile ports of the first 2 Sonic games, with the engine they had...
- Alec: I honestly will never understand why anyone would think Nintendo would use the fan translation for MOTHER 3. They wouldn’t. It’s...
- Anonymous: Reasons Nintendo doesn’t automatically pick up the fan translation: -That’s not how they want to portray their series (as...
- Icedude545: I really hope Nintendo does Americanize it and take the sissyness out Haha Come-on Podunk is alot cooler than Mothersday in Earthbound...