EarthBound Price Update (Mar 2013)
When EarthBound was released, everyone thought that the ultra-rare Gutsy Bat weapon could only be obtained by defeating a Kraken enemy in the Sea of Eden. Given that there are like only three of them in there and they’re permanently gone after you defeat them, many kids were frustrated when trying to win the bat.
The thing is, though, that the Gutsy Bat ISN’T dropped by Krakens. They’re dropped by Bionic Krakens in the last dungeon of the game!
So how did this myth come about? Why, the player’s guide that came with the game, of course!
This has lead to a few questions I’ve never been able to answer:
- Some players SWEAR that they’ve gotten the bat from normal Krakens, even though it’s been proven not possible. So is this a case of faulty memory, lies turning into false memories, or is there really a rare version of the game out there that lets you get Gutsy Bats from Krakens that none of us know about?
- How did they get that screenshot for the guide? If the normal Kraken dropped the Gutsy Bat at some point, why did they change it to the Bionic Kraken at the last second? Especially when it’s the Bionic Kraken that drops the bat in the original Japanese version?
Very strange stuff. Anyone have any ideas? I think the Kraken & Gutsy Bat myth spread in other ways too back in the day, but I don’t recall where. Does anyone remember?
Other Related Posts:
36 Comments to The Gutsy Bat is a Lie
- .: “I’m the 3rd strongest!” – Guardian diggers When playing earthbound on my Wii U, They all said that. Thanks creator of...
- Tuxedo Unmasked: Finally finished the full translation of the Itoi interview, in case anyone is curious! http://www.tuxedounmasked.c...
- IGN: In IGN somewhere they complaining sub-culture of drag queens like magypsies,fredy mercury’s i want to brek free music video and latest...
- Gaben: Hopefully after 100 years of development it’s been worth the weight
- Star and Moon: @EdgeTheLucas Oh yeah. I just re watched both trailers for the Mother 4 fangame and they both list release periods that have long...