The Captain’s Extra Line of Text
When EarthBound was released, everyone thought that the ultra-rare Gutsy Bat weapon could only be obtained by defeating a Kraken enemy in the Sea of Eden. Given that there are like only three of them in there and they’re permanently gone after you defeat them, many kids were frustrated when trying to win the bat.
The thing is, though, that the Gutsy Bat ISN’T dropped by Krakens. They’re dropped by Bionic Krakens in the last dungeon of the game!
So how did this myth come about? Why, the player’s guide that came with the game, of course!
This has lead to a few questions I’ve never been able to answer:
- Some players SWEAR that they’ve gotten the bat from normal Krakens, even though it’s been proven not possible. So is this a case of faulty memory, lies turning into false memories, or is there really a rare version of the game out there that lets you get Gutsy Bats from Krakens that none of us know about?
- How did they get that screenshot for the guide? If the normal Kraken dropped the Gutsy Bat at some point, why did they change it to the Bionic Kraken at the last second? Especially when it’s the Bionic Kraken that drops the bat in the original Japanese version?
Very strange stuff. Anyone have any ideas? I think the Kraken & Gutsy Bat myth spread in other ways too back in the day, but I don’t recall where. Does anyone remember?
Other Related Posts:
36 Comments to The Gutsy Bat is a Lie
- notagain: @Staremen Please do some research first. The fan translation is not a ROM. It is a patch for ones, and the link leads to that...
- WorldBound: I’m not sayin’ Nintendo’s wrong!
- Staremen: Honestly anyone who is saying Nintendo is “wrong” for doing this just dont understand. Promoting ROMS on Nintendo’s own...
- WorldBound: Y’all are probably gonna hate me for this, but would anyone be interested in joining Operation WorldBound? We’re a fangroup...
- DJMankiewitz: Always good stuff. I hope this was translated from the original Japanese instead of the English translation. I have a pretty strong...