November 25th, 2011 | Fan Games, Images

Most fans by now know that there’s been a fan-made Mother 4 in the works for a while now. I check it out every now and again, and it seems to be coming along pretty well. Here are some recent screenshots:

If you check out the project site here, you can also give some of the early music a listen, see some of the current dialogue, and more. So give it a look if you haven’t recently!

I gotta say, the project is really starting to look up – I was getting worried there a year or two back as it was like the project site had become more about fan submissions, fan art, and stuff like that rather than the actual project itself. About a year ago that suddenly changed and it’s been firing away on all cylinders the way a successful project should. I’m glad to see this new, more professional focus, which I think is evident in the screenshots above and from the updates to the project’s site now 😀 Good job, guys!

(P.S. Just to clear up some confusion, for some reason people out there think this Mother 4 project is a Starmen.Net project or a project done by us guys who did the Mother 3 translation, but that isn’t the case. This is entirely the project of a group of talented fans who started their own thing.)

18 Comments to Some Fan-made Mother 4 Screens

SuperTrainStationH said on Nov. 25, 2011

This looks excellent.

In a comment box like this before, I suggested that with the amount of effort and original resources put into this project that perhaps they just make it an original game taking cues from MOTHER rather than a fan game and save themselves the stress of a possible angry letter from Nintendo.

For some reason someone who I THINK is from the MOTHER 4 project actually got upset at me and thought I was insulting them or their game or something.

Mato said on Nov. 25, 2011

No, in a way I agree with that. I can understand why they chose to go with Mother 4, even if I think it would’ve been wiser to choose something else. In the end it probably doesn’t matter as I don’t expect an official Mother 4 to ever be released, or even any legal warnings from NOA.

Nathalie said on Nov. 25, 2011

Been following this project for quite some time and these guys are really good at what they do! It’s always fun to see new stuff… I can’t wait to play the game myself one day 🙂

Leeaux said on Nov. 25, 2011

Me and a few of my friends are making a game, and the progress has been fairly quick so far. We’re using the unity engine. But one of the things they were wanting to do is a blog about the progress of the game.

The only problem with this is that the blog tends to get updated more than the actual game. Because when things get slow, you want people to know your still working on it. It gives the illusion of progress rather than actual progress, and then eventually that kills the game entirely.

Anonymous said on Nov. 25, 2011

Saw these. Comparing new and old screenshots definitely shows how the game has evolved.

Mato said on Nov. 25, 2011

Leeaux: Definitely agree, I was worried the M3 translation blog was going to start taking that route (and it sort of did at first) but surprisingly enough people seemed to like to know about all the really detailed, technical stuff. Somehow the blog wound up pushing the project forward (because if we didn’t do regular quality updates we’d have people on our back), I think that’s probably the best way to have a project/blog combination work.

I think we’re starting to see that a little bit more with the Mother 4 blog, which is a great sign 😀

RandomGuardian said on Nov. 25, 2011

I always had hope on the project. The website seemed dead but somewhere inside I knew it was just “sleeping”. I hope to play this game before I have kids MOTHER 4!

Also blue present boxes have maps in them. It be helpfull to remember that.
– Osohe ghost

BigDream said on Nov. 25, 2011

I’m now as you are reading this, anxious 2 try this out!!!

JesusLovesNess said on Nov. 25, 2011

Mother fans are eagerly awaiting for the day of this game’s release.

How long will we have to wait…
The world may never know.

Daxdiv said on Nov. 25, 2011

I’ve been keeping my eye on this release as well. Was a little worried about now seeing a new blog post every month or so, but glad to see everything coming along since I am aware that this is more of a side project these guys are doing.

RadicOmega said on Nov. 25, 2011

You should check out the music, it is really good. Most of it sounds like it was in a MOTHER game.

man said on Nov. 25, 2011

I like the way those screenshots blend together elements from Mother 3 and Earthbound, they’ve really gotten that down compared to when they first started the project and it looked a little hodge-podge.

Anonymous said on Nov. 25, 2011

@RadicOmega I don’t think so

KyoZaber said on Nov. 26, 2011

The screenshots look good, and the basic story info sounds promising. I look forward to whatever this project may deliver. 🙂

RadicOmega said on Nov. 26, 2011

@Anonymous, really? It just seems like it would be in a real MOTHER game. Oh well I guess we all have our opinions. 😉

Raverush said on Dec. 5, 2011

I’m pretty stoked for this game, I really admire their sprite work and it seems some really talented people are working on it, but it being called Mother 4 still majorly rubs me the wrong way.

I really don’t buy into the whole possessive fandom mindset, not to say these people necessarily think “the Mother series is OURS now!”, but it reeks of of that line of thinking. Mother belongs to Itoi, it’s his baby and his masterpiece, it doesn’t seem right to just come along and place your game right next to it on a shelf.

I love fan games, they’re awesome, but I’m weary of someone trying to put them on equal grounds as the official game. I’m not saying this should’ve just been a completely original game, but calling it anything other than Mother 4 would’ve sent a better message. Mother: Somethingsomething, Father, MoonBound, whatever, showing some connection in the title is fine, but not saying “this is THE new Mother”.

blanonymous said on Dec. 5, 2011

i tend to agree with raverush in that regard, although being somewhat familiar with the history of the key staff i would almost argue the title is simply a bit of an overlooked holdover from the days in which a certain someone’s self-aggrandizement ran more rampant throughout the project

to be quite honest i wasn’t very interested in mother 4 at all while that certain someone was still involved due to a number of factors including but not limited to his involvement, but it seems to be a far more humble endeavor as of now, so title notwithstanding i look forward to playing it eventually

Zephys said on Aug. 9, 2012

Regarding the title, it’s just something that’s kind of stuck since the olden days. For better or worse, this is the Mother 4 project, and it will remain the Mother 4 project. The team’s voted on a few key things, title changes, and indeed a complete reworking into a commercial project among them. It’s fairly unanimous; It’s staying Mother 4, and it will until completion unless something radical happens.