Earthbound (SNES)

November 17th, 2011 | Images, MOTHER 3

A couple folks have sent this in recently, here’s what Kelsyjones says:

I’m not sure if it’s actually supposed to be a Mother 3 reference, but I thought I’d send it in anyway.

In the first chapter of the Black Butler manga (also known as Kuroshitsuji), one of the main characters receives a game for the “Ninkyodo Gameguy Advance”, an obvious parody of the Nintendo Gameboy Advance. The game’s title is “Mouse 3”. The title is written in all capital letters and located in the upper right corner of the box, and there’s no other art on the box (besides the mouse, which is part of the title logo) making it appear similar to Mother 3’s box. I’m not sure if it was intentional or not, but I immediately thought of Mother 3 when I read it.

Also, early in the second chapter, two young boys in the foreground of one panel are playing with things that resemble Nintendo DS (I’m not sure how to pluralize that), despite the manga taking place in Victorian era London. I’m not sure if there are any other Nintendo references, as I’ve only read to the second chapter so far.

It’s interesting seeing all these parody cameos of MOTHER games in manga and anime. I guess the series is popular among media creators. Which makes sense, since the kids who played the series as kids are now all grown up and making this stuff now 😛

15 Comments to MOTHER 3 Cameo in Black Butler

Onett Resident said on Nov. 17, 2011

My cousin loves “Black Butler” So I am familiar with the series. Mother 3 is a very popular game in Japan so I’m not surprised of this cameo. Still nicce it got acknoladge in some way! 🙂

Bread said on Nov. 17, 2011

Mato just posted this like 3 secs ago.

Mouse 3! It is very hard to get it to italy!
sounds like us. Hey all you people who don’t read manga, you read right to left!

American Gamer said on Nov. 17, 2011

lol are there people who don’t read manga?

TomServo said on Nov. 17, 2011

Of course there are!

Anonymous said on Nov. 17, 2011

I bet I know what the game is about…

“Join A mouse family on an epic adventure full of twists and turns! Follow as the seven children go missing on an extensive highway system! Witness The heartbreaking scene of fathers goodbye! Obtain A legendary item known at the Shield snatcher! All of this in MOUSE3”
-By Nintendo

Anonymous said on Nov. 17, 2011

Is it just me our does the guy with the eyepatch look like Claus

LucasPSI said on Nov. 17, 2011

^^^ Not only that but that guy with the grey hair and mustache’s name is Clause…

TomServo said on Nov. 17, 2011

A mere coincidence.

DD said on Nov. 17, 2011

Anonymous, your description of the game made me laugh.

LucasPSI said on Nov. 17, 2011

1: Character looks like claus
2: Other characters name is Clause
3: Mouse 3
4: It wasn’t released yet in Italy. Ir was difficult to obtain…:(

Gooptek said on Nov. 18, 2011

Uh, somebody here knows the name of the caterpillar that is next to my name! (Sorry for not placing a question mark, my keyboard isn’t typing it). I just think it may be a stronger version of the Spud Bug, I just don’t know the name… But I liked my icon, because I like Spud Bugs!

ness-kun said on Nov. 18, 2011

My gf loves this manga,and i’ve noticed that cameo some time ago

Christina said on Nov. 18, 2011

Yeah I noticed that as soon as I picked up this manga. ^^ I <3 Black Butler. The anime strictly takes place in the Victorian era in England, but the manga seems to be more in a parallel universe – There are lots of technology references like this despite the Victorian-looking setting.

Marcotto said on Nov. 25, 2011

IT WILL NEVER BE RELEASED IN ITALY! ;A;

I should give up believing that one day it will… :I

anonymous said on Nov. 27, 2011

I’ve read Black Butler, but I never noticed that. To be honest, I don’t think that looks particularly similar to Mother 3, but now that it’s been pointed out I do see some similarity.