November 18th, 2011 | EarthBound, Hacking, Images, MOTHER 1

Awesome EarthBound Hacker H.S posted some new maps for the EarthBound Zero remake hack a while ago. Here they are!

Thanksgiving / Merrysville:

Halloween / Spookane:

Holy Loly Mountain / Mt. Itoi:

As I’ve said many a time, hacking EarthBound is really tough – and hacking maps is one of THE toughest things to do. In fact, it’s the reason I stopped working on the remake hack some years ago. So seeing such top-notch map-hacking work is always awe-inspiring. It makes me wish I had more free time to get back into the hack – with the maps being taken care of most of the rest is stuff I could handle relatively easily.

In any case, there’s still a TON of work left, but this gives me hope for the future 😀 These maps in particular also make me wish Nintendo would actually create an official version of the first game in this style.

20 Comments to More EB Zero Remake Maps

JAMESGHOST said on Nov. 18, 2011

so its not as easy as just placing the file in, creating actionscript spaces and unaccesable areas?

man said on Nov. 18, 2011

No way :O

Considering the progress that they’ve made with this, including that Giygas battle video… y’know, this actually might come to fruition. Though it’ll take a very, very long time of course.

I like the way they’ve designed these maps as well. Look at the exit or the Magicant cave in Thanksgiving – you can see the Sweet Little Factory immediately. And I just plain love how Halloween looks, the boarded up windows and missing letters in signs defy the established EB town conventions, meaning they look a little creepy…

Poe said on Nov. 18, 2011

Really impressed over here!

Bread said on Nov. 18, 2011

Amazing, Simply Amazing…

Gooptek said on Nov. 18, 2011

OMG JUST MT. ITOI IS HUGE I COULDN’T BEAT THE GAME JUST BECAUSE OF IT JUST OMG. (I writed all on capital letters for purpose, so that everybody can know that I think that the Mt. Itoi map is INSANELY HUGE!)

Bionic said on Nov. 18, 2011

This is so great! I really hope this hacker will continue on in their endeavors and finish the hack, would love love LOVE to play it!

SNess said on Nov. 18, 2011

Awesome maps!! Really close to the originals!

FuzzyPicklez said on Nov. 18, 2011

While looking at the Merrysville map I immediately noticed that the railroad track cuts through the middle of Merrysville rather than in a large open field to the east.

Then I realized that it must be much harder to recreate huge, open maps with lots of empty space like that in EarthBound.

It makes me hunger for an official MOTHER remake, even though Nintendo of Japan hasn’t been doing anything about that.

Leeaux said on Nov. 18, 2011

I long for this.

kenisu said on Nov. 18, 2011

GAH YES <3 <3 <3

MrSaturn03 said on Nov. 18, 2011

This is prettyful! I must have!!

SonicUnderground said on Nov. 18, 2011

Just completed mother 1 for the second time yay! I gotta say, i love this!!

Michael said on Nov. 18, 2011

I was really blown away with the scope and quality of these maps. H.S. is really doing an excellent job on the remake, and my only concern is that he might run out of space in the map editor.

Jason said on Nov. 19, 2011

Mt. Itoi is as terrifying as ever, lol

SoreThumb said on Nov. 21, 2011

WOW…
All these are simply spectacular.
I mean..
1. Itoi is huge– magnificently huge. INSPIRINGLY huge. I love it– and at the very top, the grave and cave behind it are quite stark. Whew!
2. Halloween is quite frightening, actually. Remembering that it’s a ghost town in the game makes what I see there even more unsettling. (Agreed on the missing letters = great idea!)
3. Also, kudos on the design of Thanksgiving (Merrysville?). I wonder how the train’d work in the game, though…

BOX said on Nov. 23, 2011

Seeing this just makes me impatient! It sure does look like great work though . . .

dcent2 said on Mar. 25, 2012

Mato, I will PAY you to join up with H.S .

Chris Highwind said on May. 2, 2012

I was playing Mother 1 off of the Mother 1+2 Fan Translation hack a while ago, and while trying to find the Halloween Train Station to head to Santa Claus Station, I walked into a hotel. It had the cave/hostile music (the music that plays in the grave where you find Pippi and the zoo grounds before you defeat Starman Jr.) and there was some weird guy at the counter. He was charging us $12 per night for the hotel, but something was seriously off about the place, so I was like “eh, no.”

So yeah, Mother is one of the few games that actually makes me feel emotionally invested in it, to the point where I could actually feel the doubt the characters might’ve had at a $12 hotel stay in a city district crawling with monsters.

Chris Highwind said on May. 2, 2012

Point: It would be awesome to relive experiences like that with Earthbound graphics. I’d get back into Earthbound, but the only SNES emulator I love to use doesn’t work on my vHBL for Vita yet 🙁

Schlupi said on May. 2, 2012

The love and devotion into this project is amazing. I don’t care how long it takes, it looks absolutely brilliant.