November 27th, 2011 | Auctions, Merchandise

Last week I showed off some of the EarthBound/MOTHER stuff I’m selling on eBay, now here’s some stuff from other sellers. There seems to be a surge in the amount of stuff overall, I guess it’s because this is the shopping season now.

Anyway, here’s some stuffs!

Mach Pizza Air Freshener

I think I’ve seen this particular air freshener before, but it was gone until recently. As most crazy fans know by now, this was a prize you could win by sending in your best guess for the “mystery smell card” in the back of the EarthBound Player’s Guide. Apparently they sent one of these to everyone who participated, I guess they were expecting a really big turnout but then only got a small response. So there’s not a whole lot of these around, which is why they tend to go for crazy prices nowadays.

Looking back, I kinda wish I had taken part in the contest, I just remember being confused by the smell and worrying that I’d get it completely wrong and not win anything. Stupid kid me!

Mach Pizza Air Freshener + Congratulatory Note

This is probably even rarer – you got not only the air freshener but the little note that contest participants received in the mail together with the air freshener back in the day. This one’s only four cents more than the one above, so if you’re REALLY going for one of these Mach Pizza air fresheners, this is the one I’d probably recommend, assuming all else is equal (like that this one isn’t haunted or something).

Brand New Copy of EarthBound!

New copies of EarthBound are hard to come by, and they usually get expensive really fast. If money is no object and you’re a huge fan (or collector) then this is for you!

Brand New MOTHER 3 Deluxe Box

Man, another brand new item! MOTHER 3 Deluxe Boxes are already kind of few in number and expensive as it is. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a brand new one hit eBay, so if you got some extra gold bars lying around then this might be for you.

Big Lot of Good Super NES Games & RPGs

I feel kinda bad because this guy is selling a hell of a good SNES library – got all the Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, Super Metroid, and a bunch more.

Itoi Autograph Board #1

In Japan, autographs and such are usually done on “autograph boards”, usually including a doodle or some sort of text along with the autograph. This particular one is signed by Shigesato Itoi and includes text that translates to something like “An infant’s great big yawn”. I’m assuming it’s from something he’s come up with in the past, anyone know?

Itoi Autograph Board #2

And here’s another one he’s done, this one says something like, “However hard I try, I just can’t seem to be friends with myself.”

If you’re a really intense collector, then maybe having the series’ creator’s autograph will interest you. The buy-it-now prices are staggering though – 30,000 yen! So if you’re gonna get one of them, I’d do normal bidding rather than the buy it now thing. Of course, you’d need to go through a company like Celga if you don’t live in Japan but want to bid on Japanese auctions.

Well, that’s all for now – if you come across any cool auctions (whether it’s eBay, Yahoo Auctions Japan, or elsewhere), lemme know!

8 Comments to Merch Watch for Nov. 27, 2011

Poe said on Nov. 27, 2011

Want dat SNES game lot

man said on Nov. 27, 2011

I agree, John Madden’s Football is a rare gem.

One day I’m going to go to an American flea market and pick up an NTSC SNES and get a load of awesome games.

anonymous said on Nov. 27, 2011

It’s too bad those autograph boards go so expensive. I think it would be great to have Itoi’s signature, but also I really like the phrase about being unable to be friends with yourself. A saying like that seems like the sort of quirky thing I’d make a poster of. I know it’s too expensive for me, but I think having that autograph board would be like killing two birds with one stone, you know? Or maybe I’m just crazy.

Leeaux said on Nov. 27, 2011

I think I’d send him a message saying something along the lines of

“Look, either lower your price, or take mystic quest back. Then we’ll talk.”

Hahahahaha

pk_stan said on Nov. 27, 2011

Hey, if anyone is interested I’m going to be selling a Shigesato Itoi autograph board in a few weeks when I get it in from Celga (I wish I could keep it but I’m broke!). If there is enough interest, I’ll make a topic on the merchandise board for offers and stuff.

FlyingManCourage said on Nov. 27, 2011

Lol. I sure don’t like Mystic Quest but it looks good next to IV and VI in a collection.

I wish there had been some slip to send in for the EB Smell-Contest-Promo-Thingie. The only reason my friend and I didn’t try a guess is because we didn’t want to tear the cards out. At the very least send the card back! Damn, Nintendo. Y u need so many mystery cards? Definitiy scratched the hell out of our cards, though……we didn’t guess pizza.

? said on Nov. 28, 2011

Wow, the guy selling the M3 box is a douchedick. I picked mine up for $150 about 2 years ago.

Hey Potato, don’t forget to tell everyone here about the Fangamer M3 handbook hardcover reprint coming up!

Onion said on Nov. 28, 2011

So that’s what the second autograph board says?

That’s really awesome. It’s so Itoi. Thanks for translating, Mato!