November 7th, 2011 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

Raymond says:

Good day, reader. I was playing Earthbound on my emulator, and I stumbled upon a little bug in Mr. Carpainter’s place.

I accidentally pressed “Talk to” on a gift before I fought Mr. Carpainter, and the message box said, “There’s no response,” as if you were talking to one of the Happyists in the worship.

Right after I fought Carpainter, I tried to talk to the box again, and this time, it said, “Who are you talking to?”

I don’t think anyone else has submitted this yet, so I really hope this is a first for EBC.

Indeed, I don’t think I’ve ever noticed this or that anyone’s pointed it out to me yet. I’m guessing the room has special programming to say “There’s no response.” when trying to talk to any non-talking sprite in that room and that the programmers forgot that it would say the same thing if you tried checking the open gift box.

I like learning about tiny little things like this, so if you ever come across any other little bugs or glitches, let me know!

16 Comments to Happy Happy Bug Bug

Zoom! said on Nov. 7, 2011

Same thing happened to me a while back.

tapioca said on Nov. 7, 2011

if the game pad is on the screen… does that mean that’s an emulator on a cell phone? o_o

Zoom! said on Nov. 7, 2011

That would awesome if it was.

EarthBound015 said on Nov. 7, 2011

Yep! They have emulators for phones now. I’ve only tried them back when I had my iPhone 3g and it sucked, but that’s been a few years back and with the processing power the phones have now, they should be pretty awesome little emulators 😀 Of course you’ll have to jailbreak and what not.

Starguy said on Nov. 7, 2011

It’s programed to do that even if you talk to an empty space or wall. Nothing new.

Espyo said on Nov. 7, 2011

Yep, those kinda bugs are a bit interesting. And may also remind programmers out there to watch out for similar scenarios.

TheKillerStove said on Nov. 7, 2011

Theres actually no hacking required emulator apps on the android market. You just need to transfer the roms you want into the app’s “roms” folder in your sd card via a computer

ben said on Nov. 7, 2011

the Droid 2, with the slide out keyboard, is so good for playing games on. played Mother 3 a couple of months ago for the first time since the patch was released. felt like playing it on a GBA.
I don’t know how people play games on their iPhones with their fingers covering half the screen.

H.S said on Nov. 7, 2011

Whenever you go through the door to main room, the game sets a certain flag, and whenever you leave through the door, it turns that flag off. Every time you use the “Talk to” command, the game checks that flag, and will display “(There’s no response.)” if the flag is on. This flag is permanently turned off after you beat Carpainter.

Since the flag only activates when you go through the door, you can take advantage of this by getting a game over to one of the cultists in that room, then choosing to continue so you appear at the last phone you saved at. The flag will have never turned off, so using the “Talk to” command will display “(There’s no response.)” even outside of the building. Well, at least until you go through the doors of the main building again.

Mato said on Nov. 7, 2011

Ha, cool, I never would’ve thought of that.

questionsleep said on Nov. 7, 2011

I recall Reidman, or somebody, doing this and mentioning it briefly during the last EBFGP/Fanfest.

tintinophile691 said on Nov. 8, 2011

That’s snes4iphone, by the way. It has a few music and frame skipping issues and once my EB game froze when I walked into a building in Twoson, but other than that, everything’s fine.

gpSphone, however, seems to emulate M3 perfectly.

InvaderZim867 said on Nov. 9, 2011

Oh my God! Thank you for accepting my little weird thing. I would love to find more silly screw-ups, but I don’t really have a lot of time in my hands now.

I play Earthbound on my iPod Touch, and yes, emulators can run in them.

I remain, Raymond.

Dialga Thunderstar said on Dec. 30, 2011

that is weird. THE PRESENT IS A LIE!

Orangestar said on Jan. 8, 2012

Oh-hoh-hoh? Is that super GNES or SNES A.D.? Because if it’s not the latter, or at least not either, or not an android, I will be really, REALLY pissed.

Somoebody You Don't Know said on Oct. 12, 2012

No matter where you go it says “There’s no respnse”