November 26th, 2011 | EarthBound, MOTHER 1, MOTHER 3

A few years ago the “Let’s Play” thing suddenly took off, and everywhere you look it seems like there’s a million Let’s Plays of every game imaginable. I often get asked to recommend some good EarthBound/MOTHER series Let’s Plays, but I’m sort of out of the loop when it comes to them, so I turn that question to you, loyal readers:

What are some good EarthBound and Mother series Let’s Plays that you’d recommend?

I of course know of chuggaaconroy’s work and I know poik007 did some cool stuff many years ago, but I’m certain there’s way more than that 😛

What I’d like to do is compile a list of the best ones and then make a page for them. So share away!

59 Comments to EarthBound/MOTHER Let’s Plays

Deraj626 said on Nov. 26, 2011

NintendoCapriSun did one on EB and one on M3. I haven’t watched them myself but I’ve heard good things.

Ashleigh said on Nov. 26, 2011

I really enjoyed NintendoCapriSun’s Let’s Plays of EarthBound and Mother 3! In fact, he is the person who got me into the Mother/EarthBound series. Definite favourite of mine, and he is quite a popular Let’s Player too who has LP’d a whole lot of Nintendo games, old and new. Highly recommend checking him out 🙂

MightyBearOne said on Nov. 26, 2011

I can see why especially EarthBound LPs can be quite addicting, there is just something about them…
But anyways, about the EarthBound LPs: I watched a total of 3 of them. My first one was from Chuggaaconroy, he got me into the game in the first place, then was NintendoCapriSun’s Earthbound LP which was phenomenal and I didn’t watch it until quite some time later. The came SplitableInitive’s Blind LP of it, which I recommend most of all, because it was just fun to see all her reactions on the game for the first time! So go check that one out of you haven’t seen it already! 😀

RadicOmega said on Nov. 26, 2011

NintendoCapriSun’s (if that’s how you spell it) had a really good detailed LP. Also Chugga did to, but I like NCS better though.

CosmicSatellite said on Nov. 26, 2011

Okay, here is my list of the Best Let’s Plays for each of the Mother games.

Chuggaaconroy’s Mother 1 Let’s Play is the best and from my experience, seems to be the only good one.

The Best Let’s Plays of EarthBound are:

Chuggaaconroy’s Let’s Play
NintendoCapriSun’s Let’s Play
SplitableInfinitive’s BLIND Let’s Play
MasterWabbitMw’s Semi-Blind Let’s Play

NintendoCapriSun’s LP of Mother 3 is probably the greatest Let’s Play ever made. While Chuggaa’s LP was very informative, everything else was…bleh

Dark Hamsterlord said on Nov. 26, 2011

I think the best Mother LPs are the screenshot ones done on the Something Awful forums, which can now be found at lparchive.org

There’s one for Mother as well, but I haven’t read it so I don’t know if it’s any good or not.

FlyingManCourage said on Nov. 26, 2011

Would someone kindly explain me to the point of a Let’s Play? I understand the basic concept – someone records oneself whilst playing a video game. However, I don’t understand the goal/performance of LP’s. What makes a good LP? What is the general point/objective of making an LP?

I’m still new to the community scene, so I’m behind on my studies.

blahmoomoo said on Nov. 26, 2011

Ardwick is close to completing a Mother 3 Let’s Play. His channel is LpingWithArdwick.

@FlyingManCourage – I believe the general concept is to show off the game, be informative on how it works, and to provide entertainment (sometimes at the expense of the game itself, if it’s a bad game; see the LP of Sonic 2006 in the Something Awful LP Archives).

BigDream said on Nov. 26, 2011

I’m starting let’s plays of my own on my youtube account:
ChronoPlayer64

Anonymous said on Nov. 26, 2011

EarthBound was chuggaconroy’s first Let’s Play. Awesome.

austinba said on Nov. 26, 2011

Batman9503’s lets play of Mother 3 was very good, I really love his style of making videos.

Anonymous said on Nov. 26, 2011

I’m currently following an in-progress LP of EarthBound by 2199infinitechaos. He is not always able to upload a new video due to a lack of time from school. He is currently in Part-2 but he is currently recorded up to part 9. He also edits the videos for new enemies and their stats. And his videos are in HD! Rock on 2199infinitechaos!

NCS said on Nov. 26, 2011

Batman9502 did a phenomenal LP of Mother 3. He showed how to combo just about every song in the game, which is way over my head.

MalixDexide said on Nov. 26, 2011

Chuggaaconroy’s LP of Earthbound got me into LPs, and more into the Mother series as a whole.

Pimpshi said on Nov. 26, 2011

Waitwaitwait… Has no one mentioned Radiation’s absolutely amazing Earthbound LP? It’s one of the best LP’s I’ve ever read, and it’s both hilarious and well-written.

Link: http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Fan/Forum/40664/page/1/

platinatina said on Nov. 26, 2011

Seconding the screenshot LPs on the Let’s Play Archive– I think they’re a little different from what people are used to when it comes to Let’s Plays, but man do they do the game justice. Especially the Mother 3 one! Aaahh, so good. (The EB one’s actually what got me curious about the series in the first place, haha.)

I haven’t watched any video LPs though so I can’t recommend any. 🙁

bloopie said on Nov. 26, 2011

I did a video LP of Earthbound Zero a couple years back: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0CA80B39A06E5C1C
Chuggaaconroy himself said it was better than his so I hope that means something. 🙂

Onett Resident said on Nov. 26, 2011

Stephen Play’s LP Of EarthBound is actaually very good. Chuggaaconroy obviosly, NintendoCaprisun also LP’ed it

Miche said on Nov. 26, 2011

Although XorAilos252 never finished his Let’s Play of MOTHER 3 (he and his partner only made it to the beignning of Chapter 2), I’m particularly partial to it. I think it’s because he and his partner give each character an individual voice, and I have a weakness for funny voices. It’s definitely worth checking out:

GrizzlyCanon said on Nov. 26, 2011

My favorite Let’s Play of Earthbound is Brian Sulpher’s. Technically, it’s a Talkthrough, but whatever. He’s also one of the few people man enough to LP Earthbound Zero without tools. His channel’s name is Brisulph, and you should check him out.

edgethelucas said on Nov. 26, 2011

I’ve really only seen people talking about chuggaaconroy or nintendocaprisun. My highest recommendation is masterwabbitmw, however–his sense of humor and reaction to various situations perfectly encapsulate the tone and weirdness of Earthbound. Also, though he has 146 videos (last time I checked), they’re short, and don’t go all the way to 10 or 15 minutes–they’re only about 6 to 9 minutes long

Globulous said on Nov. 26, 2011

I am a huge fan of Brisulph’s. He’s really funny.

naussica said on Nov. 26, 2011

I’m currently doing an LP of Earthbound, however I think my videos could be better. I was on hiatus for w while, but I’m going to get back into it and make non-sucky videos.

My channel is naussica21 if you want to see it, go ahead, but my first bunch of videos aren’t as good as my later videos.

Anonymous said on Nov. 27, 2011

StephenPlays LP of EarthBound was really good. His first episode concluded with a very emotional tale about how the game shaped his lafe for the future. It got him involved with Starmen.net, which led to him meeting not only his best friend and college roommate, but his wife as well.

MarioFan3 said on Nov. 27, 2011

Huh, y’know I became an LPer for the sake of the MOTHER series. Obviously I wanted to get some experience first before I did any of them, so I haven’t done an LP of any MOTHER games yet. I was thinking about MOTHER LPs this morning and now there’s a post about it… weird coincidence much?

MarioFan3 said on Nov. 27, 2011

^Gah, gimme my Ninten dp dammit… Oh wait there it is that’s better. I got into the mother series when I just got too curious as to what game Ness came from in Smash Bros. 64 (as he was my favourite character) coincidentally this was the very same day the M3 translation came out… I’ve been a fan ever since… A lot of coincidences seem to happen with me and the MOTHER series, I wonder what gives with that?

Christie said on Nov. 27, 2011

SplitableInfinitive’s Blind Earthbound LP is amazing.

TheOrigamiGamer said on Nov. 27, 2011

I did a Let’s Play of Mother 3 starts slow but really picks up towards the end. I also have a couple of fails but it’s all in good fun.

Quality said on Nov. 27, 2011
Satopunch89 said on Nov. 28, 2011

I’d go with Chuggaaconroy. His first LP was earthbound, second was EB0 and one of his best was the Mother 3 Fan Translation

OH BABY!! said on Nov. 30, 2011

c(^=)

RadicOmega said on Nov. 30, 2011

@OH BABY!! c(^=) couldnt resist.

brisulph said on Nov. 30, 2011

Thanks Globulous and GrizzlyCanon, I appreciate the support.

SamuelTurn said on Dec. 3, 2011

Chugga is the reason I’m a MOTHER fan. His MOTHER3 LP was the highlight of each day, coming home from school, turning on my Wii (I didn’t have my own laptop yet), and watching his latest vid.

Ness said on Dec. 6, 2011

I’m doing EarthBound/Mother 2 for my first LP. Check me out if you get the chance!

jon said on Dec. 8, 2011

stephen georg did an lp of earthbound! his channel on youtube is stephenplays. he probobly did a good job, considering he played ness in fab.

SimplyGnawful said on Dec. 9, 2011

I’m going to join the Brisulph fan club and say that i have watched his EB0 talkthrough at least 4 or 5 times. His Earthbound talkthrough is also extremely funny and full of quality content.

SamuelTurn said on Dec. 11, 2011

Also, this site need a search bar, there are WAY to many articles for me to search through to find the one I’m looking for.

Jungyin said on Dec. 12, 2011

There is a search bar. It’s on the right between the yearly archives and the Mother related ad.

Lukumadustaney said on Dec. 24, 2011

i did one myself. i actually got the game to do it, like most people just use emulators,(everyone here) and mine is not that bad. i’m on part 6, the police chief battle is next. search molen876 on youtube.

Dialga Thunderstar said on Jan. 5, 2012

I like chuggaconroy’s letsplay. Especially at the 3 minute password part.

Miracle Fassad said on Jan. 29, 2012

A bit late to the punch, but I’d recommend WhoIsSirChasm’s EB LP currently in progress. Funny stuff, let me tell you.

PK Rockin said on Mar. 1, 2012

Chuggaaconroy’s and NintendoCapriSun’s let’s plays of the Mother series are my favorites.

Anonymous said on Mar. 9, 2012

I’m surprised that no one mentioned Tork114. His playthroughs aren’t narrated though.

Earth Saturn said on Mar. 9, 2012

@Anonymous (The Anonymous that mentioned Tork110) It’s actually Tork110. But I’m sure that hardly matters. I actually watched his playthroughs of the Mother games. But I prefer playthroughs with commentary. Unless the commentator is annoying.

Ninten said on Mar. 13, 2012

I’ve only seen a bit of tim’s, but i personally think emile pored his heart and soul into mother 3. Infact thats how i came to love let’s plays, and if emile never did it, i’d never want to do any let’s playing. mother has helped us in many ways

Earth Saturn said on Mar. 16, 2012

I think NintendoCapriSun’s and Chuggaconroy’s LP’s are terrific. I actually got into the series via their LP’s of the first two Mother games. Sorry for double posting by the way!

Pinwheel said on May. 20, 2012

Try chuggaconoy’s eb let’s play

KickTheBucket said on Sep. 24, 2012

HeroBound93 just started out, he’s made 3 so far, I think he’s good 🙂

KickTheBucket said on Sep. 24, 2012

Look him up on YouTube! 😀

Ami-chan said on Sep. 29, 2012

chuggaaconroy did a good lp of mother. at least i liked it i don’t think chuggaa holds it in high regard

nesstron said on Sep. 29, 2012

thers one on youtube by jon in a seris called game time
if you dont know who jon is he did is it a good idea to microwave this

Matthewtheman said on Oct. 17, 2012

I like Chuggaa’s LPs, and I’ve heard NCS has good LPs of EB and M3, though I haven’t seen them myself. I liked his FFX LP though, so I’m sure they’re good.

Earthbound912 said on Nov. 3, 2012

NCS (NintendoCapriSun)

Anonymous said on Nov. 15, 2012

are there any good blind Lps other than splitableinfinitive’s?

VixOnAMoonsideTrip said on Jan. 2, 2014

This list may be old, but I feel the need to add AngelArts’ Let’s Play of EarthBound to these suggestions. It’s fully voice-acted, and it feels like it’s as close to a show as we’ll get for a while… But I might be really outta the loop.

Anonymous said on Jan. 2, 2014

Since someone else posted today, zelos1826 did a nice blind LP of EarthBound and is currently doing a blind LP of MOTHER 3.