November 5th, 2011 | EarthBound, Videos

Qiezei sent me a big e-mail a while back. Here’s the first part for now:

Hey, Mato! Just dropping a line for two things: first, I’ve noticed that Ness was used in a Chinese unlicensed game made by a company called Jungletac. The game’s called Pop Ball, and you can find a video of the game here:

The games are from an original system (kinda like the Chintendo Vii) that were converted to GBA format. The game also features other Nintendo charcters like Link in the game Hero Legend, also in the aformentioned video. If you’re interested in info on these games and the GBA ROM, you can find it all here:

I’m pretty sure there are some other similar bootleg games out there that use Duster and maybe a few other characters. I don’t recall what they were though.

11 Comments to EarthBound in Chinese Bootleg Game

Poe said on Nov. 5, 2011

I know it’s a bootleg so you can’t expect much, but that game looks terribly unfun.

Zoom! said on Nov. 5, 2011

Seen this before.

JamesBond007 said on Nov. 5, 2011

I saw Ness in a cheap handheld console, which was shown on a flyer with products sold in Lidl stores in Poland. The game was very similar to this one (also a sidescroller with action in the desert), but the interface was different (Ness’s head was present in the upper-left corner).

BigDream said on Nov. 5, 2011

WHAT THE HECK?????

LucasPSI said on Nov. 5, 2011

Hey! I remember that one with Duster! It had Lucas too if I remember correctly. I saw it A while back. You had to play as Lucas and knock haybells off the top of A barn for Duster to catch. I dont remember fully though.

LucasPSI said on Nov. 5, 2011

Wll I managed to track down the game with Duster and I was wrong abotu Lucas being in it. It’s Duster and his Tomikichi counterpart.

Skip to 15:45.

The Great Morgil said on Nov. 5, 2011

What is that thing he’s making grow out of the ground?

Mato said on Nov. 5, 2011

A rope I assume.

Tansunn said on Nov. 5, 2011

That game looks like Buster Bros., a game I used to love playing at the Chuck E. Cheese near where I lived when I was a kid. Assuming they didn’t change the mechanics of the game in this ripoff, you don’t need to hit the ball with the tip of the projectile – as long as it hits any part of the rope it’ll split. It also gets a lot more fun later on once you get powerups and more varied stages.

M. K. said on Nov. 5, 2011

This is certainly a Pomping World (Buster Bros.) clone, down to mechanics. I picked up the rom. I think it may even be a graphics hack.

TheMr.SaturnGuy said on Nov. 5, 2011

I remember seeing that Ness game somewhere in one of Tweeterman’s reviews.