Just Slap EarthBound On It
Juanito sent me a couple videos taken back in 2001. I had forgotten about these, they’re pretty cool.
First, here’s the opening video being shown to the public for the first time. You can hear people getting especially excited about Ness:
Next is this other video that has a drastically different version of Bein’ Friends during the Onett stage:
I gotta say, I think I like this old version better – the final version of the song sounded too upbeat and happy for an intense fighting game. But I can understand why they might’ve wanted to change it and maintain the upbeat spirit of the Mother series.
Are there any other really early videos of EarthBound-y stuff that ended up different from the final version of the game? If so, let me know!
Also, holy crap I just realized this game came out about ten years around this very time. I remember importing a Gamecube and SSBM so I could report about it on Starmen.Net a short while ahead of time, even though it was only a week or two earlier.
Other Related Posts:
24 Comments to Early EarthBound Stuff in Smash Bros. Melee
- Mike: Also, I have to post once more to say: The cover texture effect is incredible and so Earthboundy. So many details like that make this utterly...
- Mike: I just received my copy this week, and it is amazing. The fact that you didn’t just throw a bunch of Earthbound localization facts, but...
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!