November 29th, 2011 | Audio Stuff, Smash Bros., Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

Juanito sent me a couple videos taken back in 2001. I had forgotten about these, they’re pretty cool.

First, here’s the opening video being shown to the public for the first time. You can hear people getting especially excited about Ness:

Next is this other video that has a drastically different version of Bein’ Friends during the Onett stage:

I gotta say, I think I like this old version better – the final version of the song sounded too upbeat and happy for an intense fighting game. But I can understand why they might’ve wanted to change it and maintain the upbeat spirit of the Mother series.

Are there any other really early videos of EarthBound-y stuff that ended up different from the final version of the game? If so, let me know!

Also, holy crap I just realized this game came out about ten years around this very time. I remember importing a Gamecube and SSBM so I could report about it on Starmen.Net a short while ahead of time, even though it was only a week or two earlier.

24 Comments to Early EarthBound Stuff in Smash Bros. Melee

Bread said on Nov. 29, 2011

That’s cool. I agree with you, the old version was better.

Pepper said on Nov. 29, 2011

I love beta stuff! Watching the Melee video got me excited for it all over again. I really hope there will be more Earthbound stuff in the new SSB, given that it’s probably the closest America will get to anything Mother-related anymore. (Or at least bring back the Fourside stage.)

The Bein’ Friends arrangement was definitely interesting. I think I’m still partial to the version that was used, but I agree that the beta version seemed more fitting for the game.

Leeaux said on Nov. 29, 2011

This reminds me, we’ve got our peeking and searching and waiting for the next smash bros coming up.

I pray they call it Super Smash Brothers Fisticuffs

OH BABY!! said on Nov. 29, 2011

c(^=) thats cool c(^=)

pk_stan said on Nov. 29, 2011

I’d have to agree with Pepper, I think I still prefer the one that actually made it into Melee. However that one is still pretty good.

The Great Morgil said on Nov. 29, 2011

Just as i was starting to get into the music, the video ends. Dang, that was short.

FlyingManCourage said on Nov. 29, 2011

Mato, have you ever done a Smash Brothers-centered article? I remeber trying like he’ll to get Ness unlocked in Smash Brothers 64 but I don’t remember his home level. I think it was Onett or something in that one.

Mato said on Nov. 29, 2011

Do you mean here or on Starmen.Net? I don’t think I’ve done any articles here, just some small updates and such.

Miles of SmashWiki said on Nov. 29, 2011

@FlyingManCourage: There is no EarthBound or Mother based stage in Super Smash Bros. on the N64. When Ness is fought to be unlocked, he is fought on Dream Land, the Kirby-based stage, likely as a reference to the fact that HAL worked on both series (in addition to Smash itself).

Dosei-san said on Nov. 29, 2011

I liked the beta bein’ friends song in ssb melee better than the new one

Anonymous said on Nov. 29, 2011

The correct term is “early” not “beta”.

Cre'lus said on Nov. 29, 2011

Mato, I dunno if you’re gonna hear this, but a while back I made pixel art of Ness, Paula, Jeff and Poo in Terraria. Is there any way I can get it shown? I’ve already done a short recording which i’ll probably redo.
plz respond c(^=)

-Cre’lus (Crelus26 on YouTube)

Cre'lus said on Nov. 29, 2011

The pixel art still stands on a multiplayer server. and btw Terraria is kinda like MineCraft, but 2D. Great game, though. I’ll upload a little video on my channel, k?

-Cre C(O=)

RadicOmega said on Nov. 29, 2011

@FlyingManCourage, Wait, isn’t there Fourside in the N64 one?!?!

Miles of SmashWiki said on Nov. 29, 2011

Fourside is a playable stage in Super Smash Bros. Melee, not the N64 Super Smash Bros.

RadicOmega said on Nov. 29, 2011

@Miles of SmashWiki, Oh it is!?! I guess that Meele then has two new MOTHER Stages!

Mark said on Nov. 29, 2011

Bet you could get something similar by changing the pitch of the released version.

FlyingManCourage said on Nov. 29, 2011

I would trust what the fine folks here have said of the Smash Bros. levels. It is certainly not my expertise. I was never a big fan. I wish Ness/EarthBound had made his/its way into the other Mario-character-collection games like Mario Kart 64, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, and Mario Party.

Mato said on Nov. 29, 2011
JamesBond007 said on Nov. 30, 2011

There is no Fourside in SSB64. The only similar stage is Saffron City from Pokemon.

Supreme Dirt said on Nov. 30, 2011

Come to think of it, Fourside feels like a Smash 64 kinda stage. Maybe if just the massive size and simplicity of it.

RadicOmega said on Dec. 1, 2011

Am I the only one who notices when Peach shows up, someone says “Dang, she’s hot!”?

KingDarian said on Dec. 2, 2011

Was that a seal in the Ice Climber footage?

Anonymous said on Dec. 2, 2011

Probably. There have always been seals in the Japanese version of Ice Climber. They were changed in overseas versions for obvious reasons.

Find Merchandise!