November 11th, 2011 | Audio Stuff, MOTHER 1, Uncommon Knowledge

Many MOTHER/EarthBound fans already know that the official MOTHER 1 soundtrack CD is really cool and not just tunes straight from the game – most of it is music from the game rearranged to sound like pop music of some sort. A couple of these were sung by a girl named Catherine Warwick:

If you don’t have a copy of the MOTHER 1 CD, here’s Pollyanna, one of the handful of songs she did:

Anyway, every so often the question pops up, “Did she go on to do anything else? Where is she now?” So a good while back ShadowX did some digging around and found she had done another record at around the same time called Marine Boy, which has two songs on it – Marine Boy and Taxi Driver.

You can give the songs a listen here:

Marine Boy

Taxi Driver

Other than that it was like she had vanished, but then a few days ago MrNameless posted on the Starmen.Net forums that she had apparently done some albums in the mid-90s, this time going by the name “Cathy Warwick”:

Anyway, turns out CW was half of a duo called “Those 2 Girls”, who had an excruciating hit called All I Want, which reached #36 on the UK charts in 1995. Her partner was Denise Van Outen, who it transpires is actually rather famous now (she’s the narrator for The Only Way Is Essex – the UK’s Jersey Shore, I guess).

That’s pretty cool, I’m glad her career continued on. Dunno where she’s at now or if she knows she has a small fanbase resulting from a niche game fanbase, but I do know many EarthBound/MOTHER fans still appreciate work she did way back when.

Anyway, that’s pretty much all I know – but now whenever the topic comes up I can just link to this page 😉

14 Comments to Catherine Warwick & MOTHER

Satsy said on Nov. 11, 2011

Denise Van Outen also used to be a host on ‘The Big Breakfast’ which was a big thing in the 90s. Her departure from that was met with great sorrow. Gotta love morning TV…

The meeting of the two worlds in my head, blows my mind. 😉

Zoom! said on Nov. 11, 2011

Wow something similar appeared on starmen. Coincidence?

Mato said on Nov. 11, 2011

It’s mentioned in the post: “but then a few days ago MrNameless posted on the Starmen.Net forums”

MrSaturn03 said on Nov. 11, 2011

I also saw a forum post on Starmen.net talking about FINDING Catherine Warwick today. They’ve only found about a handful of people…but it’s really amazing how people love her music so much they want to find her!

Great article as always Mato! 🙂

MrSaturn03 said on Nov. 11, 2011

Scratch that!

The post your talking about is the same post 😛

Anonymous said on Nov. 11, 2011

For anyone interested, I translated that pink flyer something like two years ago. It doesn’t reveal anything amazing, but here:

kenisu said on Nov. 11, 2011

Oh, sorry, forgot to leave a name… the above post is me, kenisu

TheMr.SaturnGuy said on Nov. 13, 2011

” Why should’nt I belive the same in you… ”
Good luck trying to get that out of my head for the next week.

Sweet-Michiko said on Nov. 14, 2011

I found this item on ebay, a single on vinyl called Wanna Make You Go.

Thought this was worth sharing.

LucasTizma said on Nov. 20, 2011

!!! OMG, how did I miss this post?! Anyone who vaguely knows anything about me knows that I’m obsessed (literally) with Pollyanna. I have only 70 different versions in an iTunes playlist. 🙂 I tried really hard to find more about her, but I failed. 🙁 Maybe someone can get in touch with her and ask for an interview?

BertInc said on Nov. 23, 2011

I’m not gonna lie, Taxi Driver is my new favorite song.

TheMrSaturnGuy said on Mar. 26, 2012

I wish I could find the CD with Catherine singing Pollyana. It would be a mirace if I could actually buy it though. 🙁 Please help me find the CD.

Guest said on Jun. 13, 2012

For TheMrSaturnGuy.

I don’t know if you’ll ever see this, but you can find them on ebay (last time I checked there was one up).

Just a quick warning, though – it’s a Japanese CD, so I’m not sure your CD player can play them

BusterTheFox said on Jun. 14, 2012

@Guest Japanese CDs work the same everywhere I’m pretty sure. It’s just the stupid game companies who find it necessary to region-lock stuff. -_-;

I love that song! The first time I heard it was on an online rhythm game called “osu!” (purposefully un-capitalized, mind you). There are a few other Earthbound songs on there, too. If my computer didn’t fail, I would record some plays for the entertainment of the EB community. 🙂 Haha