October 3rd, 2011 | EarthBound

Many years ago I started to document a bunch of rare enemy locations and other locations where weird stuff appears in EarthBound. You can see it here.

I’m curious to know if there are other such places in the game that players have run into. For example, here are some pictures that questionsleep took showing some really wacky positions of an enemy and a butterfly:

I guess this is to be expected from a game that has somewhat random enemy placements in an old game where you actually see the enemies as you walk around.

Anyway, do you know of any other stuff that should go on the list I was compiling? Or any stories you have about weird enemy placements?

21 Comments to Strange Enemy and Butterfly Spots

Zoom said on Oct. 3, 2011

I’ve seen some similar things…but I can’t really remember it that well. Boo-hoo 🙁

Erick said on Oct. 3, 2011

The Mad Duck in Saturn Valley. It’s near the store I believe, on an inaccessible area.

man said on Oct. 3, 2011

Oh god, I’m serious that I found TWO butterflies on the intestine track in Giyga’s lair. I really should have taken pictures.

3DKirby said on Oct. 3, 2011

I saw a gift box enemy in the wall in the dungeon man…I think I have a screenshot.

Someone Else said on Oct. 3, 2011

Here you go, it’s a butterfly on top of the helipad.

Nathalie said on Oct. 3, 2011

Well, I don’t think you can call it rare anymore because some people have seen it, but yes, the butterflies that spawn inside Giygas’ Lair – that’s probably my favourite because that’s the place you need PP the most. And then the Mad Duck on the inaccessible cliff over the shopp in Saturn Valley… Ah, EarthBound.

LucasPSI said on Oct. 3, 2011

I take it someone just saw A thread on starmen.net 😉

Mato said on Oct. 3, 2011

I posted on it even!

questionsleep said on Oct. 3, 2011

I usually try to document the strange/funny/beautiful things I see in games – even just mundane things nobody else would care to look at. Like with EB, I even have pictures of Ness/the party just sitting staring off the cliffs at night in Onett, or any particularly picturesque moment where it appears the character(s) can be thinking something besides “kay goin’ to the next Sanctuary”.

RadicOmega said on Oct. 3, 2011

I once saw a butterfly in Dr.Andonut’s lab. (The outside of it) It ried to get because every once an a while it would come out. and out in Scaraba I saw those diamond things out in the water and it wouldn’t come out.

Satsy said on Oct. 3, 2011

For what it’s worth I did find my butterfly notes. They’re on my notebook at my parents. Poor thing’s dying a death and I couldn’t bring it back with me, so I’ll see if I remembered, last time I got at the thing, to put the document on my external hard drive in a bit. So I guess that wasn’t worth much. 😉

I do intend to start that again, though, give it another shot. And maybe take screens of the butterflies I find. I’ll need to document as many as, so I can either confirm them with another playthrough or have someone else do so. I wonder how likely that’ll be with the manga scanning. 😛

Retrostarman87 said on Oct. 3, 2011

In my experience, I have seen several strange enemy placements near or around the tunnel from Twoson to Threed. Here’s a couple of examples.

The first one I remember seeing was on the top of the tunnel from the Twson side. There was a New Age Retro Hippie on the top of there, just wandering around. I always that that was freaky. Strange enough, for me at least, I see enemies up there quite often.

The other I’ll mention, which is actually stranger, is I also remember seeing a Cranky Lady wandering around in the trees that is south of the entrance of the tunnel on the Threed side. There aren’t any open places without trees there, so I have no idea how that Cranky Lady could move around.

Youkai said on Oct. 3, 2011

I remember rarely running into a Black Antoid with the Red Antoids in the Grapefruit Falls area.

NewSupaLuigiBros said on Oct. 3, 2011

Oh! I have BUNCH of those kinds of pictures! Shall I send them?

Linkdude said on Oct. 3, 2011

One time, I teleported to Fourside and the game FREAKED out. It turned out there was a butterfly in my path upon entering the city. O_o

Mato said on Oct. 3, 2011

NewSupaLuigiBros: If you can upload them somewhere and share the links here, I think that’d be best 🙂

3DKirby said on Oct. 4, 2011
JamesBond007 said on Oct. 11, 2011

I got an Unassuming Local Guy in Twoson on the trees!
No image, becuase he strangely disappeared befire I was able to make a screenshot.

Big A2 said on Oct. 21, 2011

I think I posted this on Starmen.net ages ago. 2008 I think.

Mato said on Oct. 21, 2011

Ha, that’s awesome.

Miles of SmashWiki said on Oct. 21, 2011

I just came across this interestingly-positioned Gigantic Ant.