RARE Near Mint EarthBound (Super Nintendo Entertainment System, 1995)

October 21st, 2011 | EarthBound 64, MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

We’ve seen comparisons of the N64 MOTHER 3 and the GBA MOTHER 3 before, but here’s a little video that takes a closer look, including a lot of the characters.

It’s nothing new if you’re a hardcore fan, but it’s still pretty neat!

If you haven’t seen many of the N64 screens and such before, I collected as many as possible a few years ago here. PoeTrader also organized a screenshot comparison page here long ago.

22 Comments to MOTHER 3, N64 vs. GBA

Satsy said on Oct. 21, 2011

It’s odd to think how much stuff stayed the same… and in the case of things like Isaac, how much changed.

randompencil said on Oct. 21, 2011

I guess i am a hardcore fan cause ive seen all of this stuff

The Great Morgil said on Oct. 21, 2011

I’ve seen most these screens before, mainly on Starmen.net’s archives, but seeing it side by side like this was still a refreshing treat. I forgot that DCMC once had a female vocalist. It’s a shame she got cut from the game.

RadicOmega said on Oct. 21, 2011

Wow, the N64 virsion is a lot more weird than I thought.
1.) When did Lucas and Claus do karate.
2.) Duster looks like trol with a long nose.
3.) I always thought that Duster was in the DCMC.
4.) How did Venus end up in the world of Mother 3?
5.) Why is big foot taking Duster’s place?
6.) Wow Andonuts, lay off the donuts!
7.) Jeez Fassad, you tortured your monkey so much it’s purple!
8.)Ligter, when did you where sun glasses?
9.) Fuel I guess is the cow boy of the game ripping off Isac.
10.) Dude, put your eyeballs back in your head! (Points to who gets the refrence,)
11.)Kumatora, you look… like you havn’t been stuck with the Magipsies.
12.)Hmmmm, I thought as you get older you get to look more like big foot, not younger. sheesh.
13.)Bronson has a new look, orange. Doesn’t seem your type :/.
14.)guess Hinawa isn’t a natural blonde.(tough Flint’s rage looked very realistic)
15.)”Quick Flint. We are being attacked by Toy Story 3!!! And the T-Rex has some armor on!”
16.) Bad evil denchers!!! Let go of the girl!!!
Although some of the stuff turned out pretty good. Some people say that if the N64 virsion came out it would be relesed in the US. What do you think will happen?

SomeUser said on Oct. 21, 2011

I remember seeing this video two years ago and I was all like “argghh y u in japanese” but now I’m like “hooray all this is mostly katakana”

BigDream said on Oct. 21, 2011

Already saw it.
MOTHER needs a chance too…

Mother 7 said on Oct. 21, 2011

No idea this many screenshots of the games existed. All of the ch.2-ch.3 shots i’ve never seen.

Zoom! said on Oct. 21, 2011

Yay you read my e-mail to you about this video Mato! I thought you had shrugged it off.

Zoom! said on Oct. 21, 2011

I’m surprised the person who made this didn’t add the logo and other stuff. (sorry for double post)

TheMr.SaturnGuy said on Oct. 21, 2011

I have already seen this video several times. It’s nothing new to me.

Nobody5000 said on Oct. 21, 2011

Hmm guess I better email Mato in some topics. Is there a way I can easily get to him? I guess I might have to get a email,

RandomGuardian said on Oct. 21, 2011

@RadicOmega
If you were serious Duster wasent originally to be with the DCMC crew. Notice how the bass player has no relation to any one in the final DCMC. Duster was exclusively stated to hang out at club titibo-something-something-or-other.
The reason why this was changed was, well, look at the final story. If it was similar to the alpha/beta why would getting Duster be so urgent. If he hangs out casualy wouldn’t he come back to town? Even if he didn’t, the egg would still be in safe hands thus not lost for 4 YEARS!
It would also explain how things like the fake difficulty attic level felt tacked on (no story relevance) because you wouldn’t need to go there if Duster was just sitting with the crowd.
But of course something so random as an attic with an angry living bass guitar is nothing new to the MOTHER trilogy 😀

RadicOmega said on Oct. 22, 2011

@RandomGuardian, Well I’m not a EarthBound 64 expert. And I was kind of just kidding around, a little bit. But the point of that was the differences from N64 to the GBA. And I agree, I like how Mother is so random. YOu don’t see a game today with cats swiming on the ground, or finding hamburgers and humans in trash cans! Games no of days are boring 😀

Neko Knight said on Oct. 22, 2011

Oh, the nostalgia… I remember drooling over Earthbound 64 Screen shots in Nintendo Power and how I wanted it so bad. Then my best friend told me the game had been cancelled. I was crushed. It really is a shame too, I bet they could have finished it if they gave Itoi-san and his staff more support at Nintendo. Heck, maybe they should have just handed the game over to the Ocarina of Time developers. They could have used the same engine and everything.
And yes, I do think Earthbound 64 would have made it to at least America if it was an N64 title. It would be really really cool if they would release the prototype version with bug fixes for like, WiiWare or something. But the chances of that happening are slim to none.

The Earthbounder said on Oct. 26, 2011

I wonder what happened to those demo carts?
I WANT ONE!!!

Cre'lus said on Dec. 4, 2011

I’ve been looking at these comparison shots, And i don’t think I like it. I think it turned out WAY better on the GBA..

The Earthbounder said on Dec. 7, 2011

It sounds like thsi epic version of Porkey’s Theme is preformed by DCMC like Good Freinds, Bad Freinds sound like it’s supposed to be preformed by The Runaway Five. 😐

DusterRox190 said on Jan. 29, 2012

It’s just amazing how many changes this game went thru N64 to GBA.

Earth Saturn said on Mar. 4, 2012

I prefer the GBA version. The N64 version looks kinda creepy and weird. Look at what Duster, Fassad, Salsa, and Isaac used to be.

Hikeau said on Mar. 30, 2012

In all honesty i think that the N64 version of Mother 3 was the best way Itoi could present the story. If the GBA version had the same exact story as the N64 version it would be best to stick with the GBA. I though would choose N64. If one kept a close eye on Itoi back then they would know he was trying to quit smoking and put all his frustation out on this game making it darker than this one that we were given. The story could’ve even built up to a fourth mother game. Even if the story was the same than gameplay would be diffrent. The N64 verision had alot more interesting ideas than the GBA one. The GBa is unique in the item “evolution” but the N64 version had more ideas. In the N64 version time moved like in the real world. Food attracted monsters. There was more than one way to solve something ( like getting over a ravine by climbing, going through grow a bean stalk etc..), and if you threw an item in your house away or ruined your house it would stay that way until you fixed it. In this case N64 was alot more unique in gameplay and art style. My only dream is that Itoi will release the N64 version as a demo on the virtual console aqnd then released the whole thing. That would then give fans an idea how mother would’ve ended.

Earthboundian said on Oct. 5, 2012

Lets just wait for NINJAS to hack the mother 3 n64 rom…

KingOfSwords said on Oct. 5, 2012

@The Earthbounder: “Big Shot’s Theme” appears in the GBA game and is in fact performed by DCMC.