October 7th, 2011 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound

Many years ago an official MOTHER 2 piano book was released. I remember us old-timers finding out about it in 1999 and being really excited about it. But then it sort of faded from memory as time went on.

Those were dial-up days, so game MP3s were still a bit troublesome to get – MIDIs were usually the preferred alternative. I think part of why we were so excited by the piano book was that it meant a ton of new, quality EarthBound MIDIs. At the time there were like four or five EarthBound MIDIs that everyone had 😛

Anyway, after all these years, a fellow named Adam showed up offering to make MIDIs out of all the sheet music in the piano book. So if you’re one of those old-timer fans or if you just like MIDI or EarthBound music, these are for you 😀

Adam also adds:

A quick note: I used a free version of a midi editor, so I had to take some roundabout ways in writing tempo changes and time signature changes. The result is that if you open this in a midi-to-sheet music program, it may look messy in places. However, I checked and double checked and personally guarantee that everything here is written exactly like it would sound if played on a real piano. I also made sure they were completely compatible with Synthesia.

May Giygas bless you for all time, Adam!

14 Comments to MOTHER 2 Piano Book MIDIs

Nathalie said on Oct. 7, 2011

This just got me into playing piano again. Thanks!

Poe said on Oct. 7, 2011

Back when my reeeeally old computer had a busted sound card, I loved MIDIs cuz they were the only thing my computer would play! Thanks for these~

EnnuiKing said on Oct. 7, 2011

The banner with the Mr. Saturn at the piano advertising MOTHER CDs was at the top when I clicked the comments for this page, heh.

You should check out SPC2MIDI; it’s a program that converts the SNES’s audio files to MIDI sound, and it’s really fun to play around with.

KingDarian said on Oct. 7, 2011

Cool. I actually have this book, and a keyboard, but can’t really play. I’ve messed around with the Onett theme a while back. It’s great to be able to hear what it should sound like.

Adam's Mom said on Oct. 7, 2011

Way to go Adam!!!

shadowdeku said on Oct. 7, 2011

“Messy in places”? I’ve see some truly terribly sequenced MIDIs, and these are not even remotely like them. You did a really great job on these.

man said on Oct. 7, 2011

There’s not a lot of Mother paraphernalia I’m remotely interested in, but this is one big, big exception.

Zoom! said on Oct. 7, 2011

Remember hearing bout these a few years ago…nice to see it here. Also, Mato, can you delete that stupid comment above please?

Logan said on Oct. 8, 2011

I’ve been looking for these for years, thank you so much!

ben said on Oct. 8, 2011

cool. really cool.
I’ve only listened to a few so far, but there’s definitely a F’d up note in the Threed midi.
threw it into Reason and fixed the note, used a higher quality piano sample, threw some reverb on it…
if anyone would like, I could do this for all the songs.

Adam said on Oct. 8, 2011

Hey ben,

Thanks for the tip, I simply forgot to make that second C after the bar line a natural because I ended up changing the song to two-four time to accommodate the two-four measures present in the sheet music. As a result, the two C naturals ended up in separate measures, and I didn’t catch it. I had to do it that way because of the limits of my free program, and I just missed that one note. Also, you don’t need to worry about making higher quality versions, I already submitted a set to Mato, and he will post them if he wants to. (Mato, you did get those, right?)
Thanks for the effort though, I really appreciate it! And thanks to everyone else who had something to say; it made all the work worthwhile! 😉

ben said on Oct. 12, 2011

checking out these midis… never realized all the non-standard time signatures. Summer in 12/8? wtf? haha

Adam said on Oct. 14, 2011

Yeah, some of them had to be kind of strange. Summers had to be in 12/8 because the editor I was using did not allow me to write in swing time. It simply made it easier to write; every set of two eighth notes became a quarter and a eighth in 12/8, rather than being a triplet quarter and a triplet eighth in the original time signature; the program did not have a clean way to display quarter triplets next to eighth triplets, so it was really the only way I could make it happen. Anyhow, it turned out correctly. This project was definitely a learning experience for me.

cju said on Jan. 31, 2014

anyone know of a place to find scans of the book?