M2 vs. EarthBound: Monkey Caves
A fan by the name of The Author has created a new EarthBound hack called “The Rat Race”. Here’s a snippet of the description:
This game, which you might think of as EarthBound for girls, is a project that took several years and a lot of work with JHack and Hex Workshop to complete. Most of what I’ve changed is character names and the text, although I’ve also thrown in a few changes in the graphics I hope you’ll find to your liking. There is no “adult” content in this game unless you count a few items I’ve de-censored from Mother 2 that might get a mention on an Internet Movie Data Base parental guide but wouldn’t earn any movie so much as a PG rating (i.e. references to dating, death, and drugs).
This was originally a birthday gift for a young relative of mine who is about the same age as the protagonist and even looks a bit like her. While the game story will likely seem rather familiar from EarthBound, I’ve added several twists and put my own spin on things as you’ll see when you play it. While Shigesato Itoi’s affectionate parody of America ca. 1995 has aged remarkably well in the past 16 years, there’s always been room to augment and improve upon some of the story’s themes.
I haven’t tried the hack out myself, so I can’t comment on it, but you can get it here. Give it a whirl and see what you think!
Other Related Posts:
23 Comments to EarthBound Hack: The Rat Race
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...
- Anonymous: @adex SJW much?
- .: I once bought Metroid: Other M for $5 at Best Buy in the bargain bin. It wasn’t the greatest Metroid ever, but for $5 it was a great game!
- Sato: @Apple Kid It’s probably a UK SNES, which has the same design as the Super Famicom. There’s the possibility that this is a...
- EileenThePizzaQueen: @adex As a (mediocre) feminist I want so badly to be able to defend you here. I absolutely get why you’d be...