Game Boy Micro System Mother 3 Deluxe Box Nintendo Japan NEW

October 1st, 2011 | EarthBound, Fan Games

A fan by the name of The Author has created a new EarthBound hack called “The Rat Race”. Here’s a snippet of the description:

This game, which you might think of as EarthBound for girls, is a project that took several years and a lot of work with JHack and Hex Workshop to complete. Most of what I’ve changed is character names and the text, although I’ve also thrown in a few changes in the graphics I hope you’ll find to your liking. There is no “adult” content in this game unless you count a few items I’ve de-censored from Mother 2 that might get a mention on an Internet Movie Data Base parental guide but wouldn’t earn any movie so much as a PG rating (i.e. references to dating, death, and drugs).

This was originally a birthday gift for a young relative of mine who is about the same age as the protagonist and even looks a bit like her. While the game story will likely seem rather familiar from EarthBound, I’ve added several twists and put my own spin on things as you’ll see when you play it. While Shigesato Itoi’s affectionate parody of America ca. 1995 has aged remarkably well in the past 16 years, there’s always been room to augment and improve upon some of the story’s themes.

I haven’t tried the hack out myself, so I can’t comment on it, but you can get it here. Give it a whirl and see what you think!

23 Comments to EarthBound Hack: The Rat Race

Zoom! said on Oct. 1, 2011

Nice title screen.

Christie said on Oct. 1, 2011

Interesting, I must to give this a try!

Itawa said on Oct. 1, 2011

lol deleted my comment.

very classy OP

Anonymous said on Oct. 1, 2011

deleting comments? jews on my earthboundcentral?

wat said on Oct. 1, 2011

deleted comments? Jews on my Earthbound central?

Nile said on Oct. 2, 2011

Playing this right now, and it is a great hack so far. I’am in Twoson and very pleased with the attention to detail on the text changes.

Zoom said on Oct. 2, 2011

@wat and @Anonymous Come again, Führer?

RadicOmega said on Oct. 2, 2011

@Anonymous What

BLiZIHGUH said on Oct. 2, 2011

@RadicOmega: You mean “@Anonymous/Wat”?
*rimshot*

Also, seems like a pretty good hack. I’m going to give it a try 😀

RadicOmega said on Oct. 2, 2011

@BliZIHGUEIt does I even heard a girl in my school talk about it. I once mentioned Earthbound to her and she looked at me like I’m I’m crazy so I have no idea how she heard of this

Halloween said on Oct. 2, 2011

@RadicOmega
Are you sure she wasn’t talking about a different rat race 😛

I might try this hack out, hopefully it is different enough to make a worthwhile playthrough (I’m sure it is to everyone else, buuut idk, I’m just one of those people who don’t relish replaying RPGs because of the repetitive battling. I’ll play it for the story!)

RadicOmega said on Oct. 2, 2011

@Halloween No I’m sure she was talking about this due to her discription of the game I told her that it was a hack of a really good game called EarthBound and that she should try it out and than she said yes. So I hope I spreaded more word of EB 😀

Itawa said on Oct. 2, 2011

I made a comment about the mother 3 figures release date being announced and whoever owns the blog deleted my comment.

Not cool with the cencorship.

LucasPSI said on Oct. 2, 2011

Why wont anyone make Mother 1 or 2 stuff like this. Its no fair. -_-

Mato said on Oct. 2, 2011

Itawa: If you have stuff you think should be updated about, you can send info from here: http://earthboundcentral.com/submit-news-info/

As it is, I usually delete comments that are off-topic and/or annoying. Has nothing to do with you personally.

Diesel Weasel said on Oct. 5, 2011

The link is broken. Do you have a working link for the patch? I can’t find it on romhacking.net anywhere.

Mato said on Oct. 5, 2011

Yeah, the page seems to be gone. I can’t seem to find a project website or anything, so I guess for now it’s in limbo 😐

The Author said on Oct. 6, 2011

Speaking to you from limbo, here’s a link to the patch you can use while we wait for ROMHacking.net to get its act together.

Diesel Weasel said on Oct. 6, 2011

Thanks, Author. I guess ROMhacking.net removed your file because you included the header?

nessgeek said on Oct. 6, 2011

I read about this hack on the romhacking site. It does seem rather intriguing. I’m sure this is possible but better ask anyway, can EB be hacked enough to make a direct sequel? I was curious about that and thought someone here might know the answer.

Diesel Weasel said on Oct. 6, 2011

Yes, you can. It’s amazing the hacks people can make off existing roms. Someone is making a SNES version of Mother, the prequel, with the Earthbound engine (http://theworldissquare.com/eb-zero-remake-progress/). The problem is simply one of manpower. Some group of people would need to be willing to put energy into such a hack.

dasbeadnik said on Oct. 7, 2011

I played it up until Buzz Buzz’s death. I felt it was getting a bit preachy. It seems like a great and thorough hack (even so much as changing “enemy xyz was tamed” to “enemy xyz calmed down”), but too many religious references in the dialogue for my taste to keep playing. *shrug*

The Author said on Oct. 7, 2011

The link is back up… sort of. You just change the 807 in it to 814 like this

and you’ll get back to the patch.