October 26th, 2011 | EarthBound

Miles sent this in the other day:

Nothing too major or anything, but I came across a glitch I hadn’t heard anything about before.

In Threed, after staying in the hotel, I walked out into the room where the bellboy offers the newspaper. Using the For Sale sign cause a customer to appear as usual. Upon the completion of the sale or choosing not to sell something, the customer vanished instead of running off-screen, and the “Good Morning” music started from the beginning again.

I have tested this a few times, and it seems consistent.

I remember this happening somewhat regularly for me, maybe once or twice per playthrough of the game. I wonder what the deal is. I think I’ve gotten it to happen in other places before too, sometimes with the Escargo Express guys – has anyone else got this to happen consistently?

7 Comments to Disappearing EarthBound Citizens

BOX said on Oct. 26, 2011

Does this have anything to do with the odd path-finding algorithms in the game?

That is, something like

1. Person finds you
2. Person buys thing
3. Person can’t find way out of map. What the #$^& does he do now!?

Mato said on Oct. 26, 2011

I’d imagine if they could find the way in they’d be able to find their way out, but maybe it’s indeed a problem with the pathfinding algorithm.

Miles of SmashWiki said on Oct. 26, 2011

Somewhat related: I also took some screenshots of customers appearing in odd places with no problem. The path-finding algorithms seemed to work fine in these places.

LakituAl said on Oct. 26, 2011

@Miles

That reminds me, I ought to find a screenshot I had where Mach Pizza found me on Moonside!!

RandomGuardian said on Oct. 26, 2011

I’m not suprized at the disappearing man but the music restarting is strange to me.

GreenTL said on Oct. 26, 2011

This happened to me once, it was the Escargo Express on the small walkway in Saturn Valley towards the hot spring.

Erikku8 said on Oct. 26, 2011

This is the first I’ve heard of that one, but yesterday, I was playing Mother 2 on my SNES and when I continued my game, Ness started out fully clothed and then suddenly turned naked. I was in Magicant, of course.