EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE

October 10th, 2011 | MOTHER 3, Videos

ZeroGravix recently made a custom MOTHER 3 channel for the Wii:

I haven’t done Wii modding stuff in forever so I don’t know how hard it is to get stuff like this on Wiis anymore, but I gotta say that it’s really cool seeing that in action. It probably really is the closest we’ll get to an official Virtual Console-style release of MOTHER 3 too 😛

31 Comments to Custom MOTHER 3 Wii Channel

Lachy Miller (@LachyStar) said on Oct. 10, 2011

Any links to how we can do this ourselves?

Earthbound_X said on Oct. 10, 2011

Pretty sure modding your Wii is illegal, so I wouldn’t expect any links.

EmpoleMew said on Oct. 10, 2011

Funny, I just started playing Mother 3 using vba on my wii. Making it its own channel would be pretty sweet.

Mato said on Oct. 10, 2011

I wasn’t sent any links or dload info, so I can’t help you there.

kmeisthax said on Oct. 10, 2011

The difficulty in doing these kinds of things is mainly making the banner. Banner graphics are notorious because the format is complex and the default response to the SysMenu encountering a corrupted banner is to halt the system. If you don’t have an early-model Wii that can run BootMii at boot time, then recovering from such a brick involves desoldering the NAND flash and reprogramming it with a raw dump that happens to have your Wii’s boot1 and happens to have been encrypted with your Wii’s encryption key.

Most custom channel banners involve taking the banner from a commercial game and altering it’s image resources, which is much less error-prone than making a banner from scratch. HBC made theirs from scratch, which is kind of a necessity since the channel has to be legally redistributable. This took a good long while.

Douglas said on Oct. 11, 2011

@Earthbound_X
Modding your Wii is not illegal. You are not renting your Wii, you bought the hardware and you can do whatever you damn well please with it.

Downloading rom channels like these is probably illegal though.

Halloween said on Oct. 11, 2011

Modding your Wii just keeps getting easier and easier thanks to some great people. I think the latest and greatest way to do it is letterbomb, I did it a long time ago and haven’t updated the menu since.

ZeroGravix said on Oct. 11, 2011

Just so you all know, I added a download link in the description of the video. 😛

Gabriel said on Oct. 11, 2011

For the sake of documentation, the only other “legal” method of playing Mother 3 on the TV is to get the original Japanese version and play it on the Gamecube with the Game Boy Player. I don’t know if the Japanese game would be compatible with the English version of those Gamecube things though.

Poe said on Oct. 11, 2011

Gabriel – it is. The GBA and all GBA games are region free. I played the actual M3 cartridge on my Game Boy Player and it also works in my Game Boy Advance SP and my DS Lite.

BigDream said on Oct. 11, 2011

WTF!!!!

THAT’S SO FREAKEN COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loidrage said on Oct. 11, 2011

LOG-O-TYPE was a good touch. Its very fitting.

Pocket Arsenal said on Oct. 11, 2011

Pretty cool, but kind of pointless if you already got it on your HomeBrew Channel. Wish I didn’t have to resort to that though.

TalonKhan said on Oct. 11, 2011

No worries mato before my plan to rule the world is finished I SHALL GET THE SERIES RELEASED IN AMERICA! >:3…or fail horribly. >w>

RadicOmega said on Oct. 11, 2011

@Lacky Miller here’s a link Mother 3 in English on wii – YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1if0gZ3kHhI Hope that is correct. In the discription it’ll tell you what to do. I watched it.

RadicOmega said on Oct. 11, 2011

@Lacky Miller Igore that, I need to double check, it says I need to wait a couple minuets or something

RadicOmega said on Oct. 11, 2011

JUST IGNORE IT THAT LINK IS DOESN’T WORK. Mato can you delete it so nobody gets confused and clicks on it?

RadicOmega said on Oct. 11, 2011

@Lacky Miller if you just go to YouTube and type in “How to get Mother 3 on your wii” A helpful video will appear. I don’t see what I did wrong with the link, I double checked it. Oh well, sorry

Spencer said on Oct. 12, 2011

Actually, there was a team about a year or so ago that somehow made their own kind of self-launching virtual console. They did this for the purpose of bringing GB/GBC/GBA games to the Wii’s main menu. They didn’t release but about 8 or 9 games, but one of the lucky titles was Mother 3. You would click on it, like in the video, but it would bring up a screen like any other VC game. Instead of the sound it usually makes when you bring up the larger menu, it would play the sound when a Game Boy Advance was turned on. Once you enter the game, you would see that the game was set up like an authentic VC game. If you hit the home button, the screen would blur, and an orange menu would pop up with “Wii Menu” and “Return”. Hitting the “Wii Menu” would save your place, like a bookmark, and return you to that place once you returned. There were no save states or cheats for that matter.
What I thought was a nice added touch was that this group went the extra mile. They would collect feedback from the people who installed it, and if there was a problem with slowdown or controls, they could release a over-the-air patch that would update the game.
I enjoyed this because I could keep it on my wii without having an SD card in. It sits next to my EarthBound channel on the second page. I really love the wii in the aspect that it truly is the centralized hub of all my retro gaming needs.

BOX said on Oct. 12, 2011

@Douglas

As good as that idea is in theory, that’s not the legal reality, at least with DMCA rearing its ugly head. (Not saying I don’t agree with you though, so long as pirated software isn’t involved).

The legal battle regarding console mods, such as a moderately recent PS3 mod, is fierce. A user who mods a console that makes it *possible* to play pirated games can come under fire from the anti-circumvention clause. It doesn’t matter whether pirated games were ever downloaded or played. For instance, he/she may just have written original game software to put on the modded PS3 for some reason.

It will take quite a bit of time for the dust to settle . . .

RandomGuardian said on Oct. 12, 2011

Ahh I would love to care but my Wii crapped a brick a few months ago. I’m still too angry to touch it! 😀

Yosh said on Oct. 13, 2011

It doesn’t work on my Wii… The channel is here, but when I try to start the game, it brings me to the Wii menu again. But it doesn’t matter because I can still play it with VBA GX on Wii from the Homebrew Channel ^^

ZeroGravix said on Oct. 13, 2011

@yosh you have to put the Apps folder in the .zip in the description on the root of your SD card.

dwiese1998 said on Oct. 13, 2011

Perfect timing i just installed Eb0 Eb today! i kept getting stuck with wad manager so i used something called multi mod manager

Matteomax said on Oct. 17, 2011

EPIC WIN… :0

OctobotFire said on Oct. 20, 2011

I BEG YOU! THIS IS TO COOL! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE THIS FOR 3DS virtual console! (Sorry if I sound obnoxious, but this would be my dream come true!)

OctobotFire said on Oct. 20, 2011

@zerogravix I’m litteraly crazy for this game. It looks really cool!

RadicOmega said on Oct. 25, 2011

This is out of the question. But does any one know of way I can contact Nintendo?

RadicOmega said on Oct. 25, 2011

@OctobotFire, No worries. It’s my dream come to too.

Anonymous said on Oct. 25, 2011

You could always write them a letter. Companies with thousands of employees are known for reading every letter.

M1Fan said on Sep. 30, 2012