September 4th, 2011 | Itoi, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

So by now most big-time EarthBound fans know that Shigesato Itoi, creator of the series, is a renaissance man who does pretty much everything. He’s even well-known here for having been on Iron Chef episodes, but he actually used to be on TV all the time.

Apparently 1995-1996 saw a big “bass-fishing boom” in Japan, and since Itoi was really big into it at the time, he drew a lot of attention, and his fishing exploits were a topic on many Japanese comedy shows.

In particular, here’s a clip from an appearance he made on Gaki no Tsukai (most people here might know it as the “Silent Library” show) where he does a fishing competition with a bunch of comedians. It’s not subtitled in English, but you can check out the video here!

7 Comments to Shigesato Itoi Fishes for Comedy

Zuppermati97 said on Sep. 4, 2011

Lolz poor itoi

Zoom! said on Sep. 4, 2011

;D Ha pretty cool

EarthBoundRules said on Sep. 4, 2011

Wow, Shigesato Itoi and Gaki no Tsukai together. Never knew hew was in any of their episodes, cool!

ropesnake said on Sep. 4, 2011

Awesome, I love Downtown and Gaki no Tsukai! Japan’s star community always seems much more interconnected than I originally would have thought, but I guess Gaki no Tsukai has been on so long they probably have done segments with so many famous people…not to mention that Itoi probably has interviewed a ton as well, so I shouldn’t be surprised. It’s just cool when worlds collide.

ChronoMoogle said on Sep. 5, 2011
DD said on Sep. 7, 2011

Time to get a fish hat.

Yossarian said on Sep. 7, 2011

Part of the Pulp Fiction soundtrack playing there, caught me quite by surprise!