MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10*

September 21st, 2011 | EarthBound, Merchandise, Videos

Super-duper EarthBound fan Chewy recently got ahold of one of the original MOTHER Franklin Badges – only 200 were given out in the 80s and they’re one of the big holy grails of EarthBound collectors nowadays. She took a quick video of it, in fact this is probably the first time I’ve seen more than just a .jpg file of it:

Her story behind getting it is cool too, but that’ll probably have to wait for another day!

43 Comments to Original Franklin Badge Video

LucasTizma said on Sep. 21, 2011

Wow, this is, like, monumental! I’m so jealous! 😀 Congrats, and thanks for the video!

perplexingArticulator said on Sep. 21, 2011

I certainly didn’t expect it to be that small. I blame SSB.

Evan said on Sep. 21, 2011

BEAUTIFUL. GORGEOUS. GAHHHHH.

MoonSide said on Sep. 21, 2011

Wow, that is quite amazing. ^_^

Onion said on Sep. 21, 2011

Oh wow, AMAZING!

Congrats Chewy!

RadicOmega said on Sep. 21, 2011

Jeez, now if i get that, I won’t have to worry about being tazed or zapped bt lightning 🙂

Loidrage said on Sep. 21, 2011

I was zapped indirectly by lightning once. It hit the roof of an old condo we used to live in. Electricity traveled, it schocked me a bit. Nothing serious. But, if I had a Franklin Badge waaaaaaaaaaaay back then, I would have been unaffected. Shame.

RadicOmega said on Sep. 21, 2011

@Loidrage, Something like taht happened to me weeks ago My friends and I were playing Kick the can in the coldisack. I was it though, I thought I found someone in the bushes so I moved away from the can to check it out. Just than a Lightning bolt hit the center of the coldisack, and I can feel the charges of electricity

Loidrage said on Sep. 21, 2011

@RadicOmega Yeah. It actually did hit me pretty hard though, I was like seven. Fell over and ended up in the toybox. Haha. No harm done though, so its just a nice memory.

PizzaPasta said on Sep. 21, 2011

I would throw that right on my jean jacket lapel.

LucasTizma said on Sep. 21, 2011

I would seal that in a 3-inch-thick plexiglass container so its precious molecules could never be tainted.

RadicOmega said on Sep. 21, 2011

@Loidrage, have you noticed that EB central has been struggling to put more stuff up each day?

Loidrage said on Sep. 21, 2011

@RadicOmega Its doing quite well for a series thats been dead for almost 5 years. Frankly, I’m surprised its not stuff up every MONTH.

RadicOmega said on Sep. 21, 2011

@Loidrage, I wouldn’t concider EarthBound to be dead. Us fans are keeping it a game to never let go of! Evan though Nintendo is being stupid about the whole MOTHER stuff, I see your pointe, but say if there is a 3DS virtual console poll, EarthBound will keep winning. So fans and other people are keeping this series alive

Loidrage said on Sep. 21, 2011

@RadicOmega Its alive. But on life support. Nintendo doesn’t really want anything to do with it, Itoi, understandably, doesn’t want to make another MOTHER game ever… If it didn’t have such a devoted fanbase, it would be dead, gone, and forgotten. Even now, if it weren’t for the MOTHER 4 fangame, we would just be beating a dead horse, playing MOTHER 1-3 a lot and really doing nothing new.

RadicOmega said on Sep. 21, 2011

@Loidrage, true and true, though minus the fact that i’m never getting tired of Earthbound or Mother 3. I’m also trying to get my friends to play the game I’m only in middle school, so my friends never heard of the game! I as well get mad when people say Ness and Lucas don’t have a game. I don’t blame them actually

Loidrage said on Sep. 21, 2011

I’m also in middle school. Besides my friends who have played the game/watched LP’s of the game, the only other person there who plays video games has a snowballs chance in hell of ever playing it. He’s a CoD freak. I ignore him. 😛

RadicOmega said on Sep. 21, 2011

I hate how so many people are COD freaks, I only play it in the summer, RPG’s are so much better. (I can Play piggy guys on my French Horn in band class! :D)

Loidrage said on Sep. 21, 2011

@RadicOmega Yeah. Haha, I remember once I made one of my friends watch the Wess Dance. My other friend who was with me was a MOTHER fan, so we just both sat and laughed at his reaction, haha. And I love Piggy Guys. Of course, I can’t play any instruments for (pork)beans. 😛

Mato said on Sep. 21, 2011

If you two (if you really are two people) are going to keep chatting all over the site like this, could you please take it to e-mail or something instead?

Pigmask Private said on Sep. 21, 2011

Oops

RadicOmega said on Sep. 21, 2011

@Mato, but… I don’t have an email

Mato said on Sep. 21, 2011

Then please take your chats elsewhere, unless you stay on topic.

RadicOmega said on Sep. 21, 2011

And i also don’t see how we can’t have a small conversation

RadicOmega said on Sep. 21, 2011

@Mato K than

Mato said on Sep. 21, 2011

It’s fine if you guys are on topic, but you’ve been filling posts with unrelated chatter lately. You can also take your chats to the EB Central message board if you want, that’s what it’s there for.

Kelsyjones said on Sep. 21, 2011

@RadicOmega: Why do people keep saying that this site is struggling? The updates may not be anything amazing most of the time, but I certainly wouldn’t call updating every few days struggling, no matter how small the updates. This site updates more frequently than some sites I know for a series that releases a new game every year or two.

Mato said on Sep. 21, 2011

My schedule is to update once every two days, and if something awesome happens in between, I’ll stick that update in between them. It’s been that way for a long time, so I don’t see what the deal is.

KingDarian said on Sep. 21, 2011

I want updates every hour!! Entertain me, Tomato man!!!

Zoom! said on Sep. 21, 2011

@KingDarian It’d be hard to find something to post every hour. 🙂

Onion said on Sep. 22, 2011

Gahhhhhh I can’t wait for Chewy to tell the story. When will it be story time?

Matteomax said on Sep. 22, 2011

Wow… its..its.. AWESOME!! I wonder if she’ll put it on eBay… I will bid $250.00 on it if she does… (Not much, but it’s worth a try.) 😉

Schlupi said on Sep. 22, 2011

I am soooooo jelly you can put me on toast.

LucasTizma said on Sep. 22, 2011

Sheesh. What is wrong with you people?

Zoom! said on Sep. 22, 2011

@LucasTizma I don’t know. I’m just here.

Pigmask Private said on Sep. 22, 2011

Seeing one of these makes me ill because I don’t own it. 😛

Naw, congrats Chewy!

Pigmask Private said on Sep. 24, 2011

Things to note:

Differences I’ve noticed between the MOTHER1 and MOTHER3 badges:

1. Big difference is, of course, the yellow background and yellow Franklin Badge text.

2. The Lightning Bolt is a darker blue

3. The MOTHER text doesn’t seem to be slightly see-through like in the MOTHER3 badges.

Differences aside the badges seem to be the same size and even have the exact same pin bar on the back. The MOTHER3 badges may have even been made using blanks from the MOTHER1 run back in 89.

Chewy said on Sep. 24, 2011

I uploaded a better shot of the badge, hope this helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDu4LEI2tMk

Chewy said on Sep. 24, 2011

Also: NOT FOR SALE

Onion said on Sep. 24, 2011

AWESOME video, Chewy! I can’t wait to read the story.

And…see spring cleaning video 4. Sorry; I couldn’t help but watch while I was there 😛

? said on Sep. 24, 2011

You all think it’s worth at least 5 million bucks, when in reality in Japan it’s probably like…a nickel and a dime.

Remember dignity before drooling peeps.

Mato said on Sep. 24, 2011

Like the new video says, the last one that sold on Yahoo Auctions Japan sold for quite a lot. A lot more than a dime 😛

SpashBanjo said on Oct. 30, 2011

Lol I wonder if anyone ever tested if it works or not XD

Find Merchandise!