September 13th, 2011 | EarthBound, Interviews

You might know Hirokazu Tanaka as one of the two lead musicians for the first two MOTHER games – he also did the music programming for both if I recall. He later went on to do other great things, too.

Anyway, 1UP.com has an interesting article up in which Tanaka talks about EarthBound/MOTHER and its fanbase, with quotes like:

“Mother fans are pretty unique. They don’t really overlap with Zelda or Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest fans. So, they don’t bond too much.”

It’s not often that Western media gets to talk to EarthBound’s creators like this, so I gotta hand it to 1UP for this interview! Apparently, the full, super-long interview with him will be posted at a later date, but for now check out the article here.

Thanks to ShirowWolf for the tip!

16 Comments to Hirokazu Tanaka Talks EarthBound

Poe said on Sep. 13, 2011

I like how he ends up making the MOTHER circle much smaller after giving it some thought, haha. Can’t wait to read the full interview!

Onion said on Sep. 13, 2011

But I love DQ….

KingDarian said on Sep. 13, 2011

I’m more curious about the 8 year development cycle he mentions. Does that include the first MOTHER?

EarthBound015 said on Sep. 13, 2011

Maybe it felt like eight years to him or something? But it surely wasn’t in development for that long. Maybe like KingDarian said, it could include the first game as well. Strange :O

Jungyin said on Sep. 13, 2011

“See Also: Earthbound Confirmed for Virtual Console, Earthbound Series Dead”

I found that kind of amusing. :p

Anonymous said on Sep. 14, 2011

Wasn’t Mother 3 the most wanted video game in Japan for a long while? I think Hip is exaggerating a teeny bit.

JAMESGHOST said on Sep. 15, 2011

with the 3DS failing and the WiiU looking pretty bland, this is the most I’ve doubted Nintendo in my life…the only way they can regain my faith is by bringing back Earthbound (still looking forward to Kirby Wii though, last good game I played on Wii was Donkey Kong Returns)

Jungyin said on Sep. 15, 2011

@JAMESGHOST
You should consider looking into methods for getting European games to work on your Wii (assuming you’re not European of course) and importing Xenoblade Chronicles. It’s awesome.

teraphony said on Sep. 16, 2011

but I love all 3 of those series…

RedDekuScrub said on Sep. 25, 2011

I am a HUGE fan of the Zelda series! I am also a HUGE fan of the MOTHER series!!!

RadicOmega said on Sep. 26, 2011

The only reason why we don’t interact with those guys (espically FF fans) because they hate us EarthBound fans. All of those guys except LOZ fans constantly keep saying “oh, FF is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than EB” or “How did Earthbound get #1 on the VC poll and not DQ” They need to shut their mouths sometimes. At least 3/4 of those people who call us Mother fan boys haven’t even played EB

Loidrage said on Sep. 26, 2011

Actually, MOTHER fans and Zelda fans do overlap just a bit. A lot of MOTHER fans are Zelda fans, and some Zelda fans are also MOTHER fans. I know I’m a fan of both. I don’t really agree with his statement that we don’t overlap with other fanbases.

RadicOmega said on Sep. 26, 2011

@Loidrage, I actually did say that we don’t repel to musch with the LOZ fans. But Looking at my comment I guess I should’ve looked more into it. But DQ,(Not dairy queen) and FF fans always call us d mother fan boys

RadicOmega said on Sep. 26, 2011

It gets annoying

Mato said on Sep. 26, 2011

An important tip in life and maturity is: don’t worry about what other people think.

RadicOmega said on Sep. 26, 2011