August 14th, 2011 | EarthBound, Manga

CrouchingMouse sent this in the other day:

I’ve been studying Japanese for a couple of years, and thought I’d try translating a few of the Mother 2 4-komas you put up on EBC a while back as practice. I’m still pretty new at this, so they may not be perfect. But if they’re acceptable, I’d love to share them with the community.

You can check out the translated stuff here 😀

I could’ve sworn I translated some of those in the past, but a search through stuff pulls up nothing. I guess I’m going senile. Anyway, if you want to see some more translated MOTHER 2 manga, see here.

And if you know Japanese and want to help translate the manga, check out this.

11 Comments to Translated MOTHER 2 Manga

Satsy said on Aug. 14, 2011

Ahh, I love those mangas… I know you’ve translated some in the past ‘Mato, so you’re not going completely insane. Was it a starmen project from days long gone?

I do have quite a few of these mangas still. Would people want me to make scans for translating? And what would be the best way to scan them that wouldn’t wreck the pages?

Zoom! said on Aug. 14, 2011

Weird…but nice translation!

Mato said on Aug. 14, 2011

Satsy: Yeah, if you could scan yours somehow, that’d be great. I have a few more but don’t really have the time to scan them all. To scan the ones that I did, I just did the regular “press real hard” thing. I imagine the best way would be to disassemble the books and scan the pages one by one, but no way am I gonna do that 😛

Satsy said on Aug. 14, 2011

‘Mato: Hmm, whereas I’m not looking to be a collector, which is also why all my figures are out of the box (and why Mini Mr.Saturn followed me to the con sporting a pair of googly eyes). But any idea what the best method of taking apart would be? ‘Cause I have none. 😛

Mato said on Aug. 14, 2011

I’m not really sure either. Maybe there’s info about it online somewhere.

Satsy said on Aug. 14, 2011

‘Mato: Well if there is its not as easy to find as I’d have thought it’d be. If you do hear anything be sure to let me know. 😐

(If anyone else has any ideas either that’d be great).

kenisu said on Aug. 14, 2011

Well, I do remember reading this back in the day:

All I know is, I’ve never tried it, nor would I even have the heart to do that to my precious MOTHER merchandise.
I commend you for considering it, Satsy, but you also have to remember, it doesn’t mean everyone would be hopping at the chance to translate them. You could end up destroying your manga books just so that everyone could look at the pretty pictures and not understand any of it.

CrouchingMouse:

I haven’t gone back to check the original language version yet, but as far as I can tell, your translation is great. Good work! The Ness’s dad/phone one is the best one. 😀
The thing about this kind of manga, though, is that I tend to shy away from it, because a knowledge of the culture (and an EXTENSIVE one at that, one I haven’t even really been able to touch upon myself) would also be required to really “get” some of these jokes, but that’s 4-koma for you.

Satsy said on Aug. 14, 2011

Keinsu: I don’t mind if people don’t translate it — I like the pretty pictures, too! 😛 And a lot of the mangas I have are still easy to buy, and at least one much cheaper than back-in-the-day (oh that immense bidding war, I think between Buzz Buzz and Luna). And besides, even if nobody else can translate them, it’d be fun for me to crack a shot at it again — its been a few years.

CrouchingMouse said on Aug. 14, 2011

Thanks for the nice comments, guys =) And thanks to Tomato for putting these up! They’ve been great practice.

Satsy: I’d love it if you put up some of your scans for translating! I usually have no idea where to look for raws.

Kenisu: I know what you mean. Even with some of these easier ones, there was a LOT of stuff I had to look up to get what they were trying to say. I always feel pretty accomplished when I figure out the joke, though. XD

Bwah, I just caught a mistake: “180 Minutes” should be “180 Seconds”. Whoops =(

Satsy said on Aug. 15, 2011

(The start of my work is on a tumblr now http://mothermangascans.tumblr.com/ set to private so say earthbound at it and you’ll see the meager one sliver of manga I’ve scanned so far)

SomeUser said on Aug. 16, 2011

Man, I wish I could translate Japanese.
Usually, the process for me is like:

1) Translate words
2) Hit word I don’t know and look at possible words that might fit
3) Translate words after word that I don’t know (if I hit another word I don’t know, go to step 2 again)
4) Look at more words since I might know it based off of context
5) Reorder words into a proper English sentence

Exciting. No one wanted to know, but I said it anyway.

Find Merchandise!