Battle of the MOTHER Bands!
In the latest thing of Iwata Asks, the script writer briefly mention that they consulted with Itoi a little bit when working on Star Fox 64’s text.
Takano: Each character has his or her own role. For example, if you help Peppy the hare, he’ll give you hints here and there, so it works out to your advantage. But if you help Falco the falcon…
Miyamoto: He’s like, “Can’t you go bother someone else?” (laughs)
Takano: That’s what he says, but then he will help out Fox.
Iwata: He’ll help out in a pinch.
Takano: Yeah. And the frog Slippy will show a meter with the bosses’ weaknesses, so if you save your companions, it all comes back to benefit you.
Iwata: That’s a function, too.
Takano: Yes, it is. But it won’t do to emphasize functions too much, so I tried to write lines that are as cool as possible. And I had Mr. Shigesato Itoi look at them once before completion.
Iwata: Oh? What did he say?
Takano: I doubt he remembers it, but I thought he would say, “This is good.” Instead, he said, “It’s like a historical drama.” (laughs)
Iwata: You were trying to make science fiction, but it came out like a historical drama? (laughs)
Takano: Yeah. (laughs) In other words, there were lines like, “Take this with you to Hell!” that everyone would feel comfortable with.
Iwata: Oh, I see. You used set phrases like those in historical dramas.
Takano: Yes. Itoi-san was pointing out how there were a lot of old-fashioned lines like that. But I thought that instead of using completely unfamiliar lines, it would make a bigger impression on the fans to use somewhat tried-and-true lines such as “I’ve been waiting for you!”
“Historical drama” here refers to shows and such set in old samurai days, if it isn’t clear.
Thanks muchly to Tansunn for the tip!
Other Related Posts:
12 Comments to Shigesato Itoi and Star Fox 64
- Sat: 2000$ is almost what I’d pay for that jacket, gosh. Are those EB64 screenshots in full res ? Is there more to see? Even if we’ve...
- Fred bounder: You missed the pk album from fangamer!!
- KingOfSwords: For those who don’t know, the Lasagna Cat video is a reference to “Colin’s Bear Animation”:...
- neonix: Dang, somehow I didn’t catch wind of that ruler auction. I would have been in the bidding for it. Oh well, guess I’ll keep...
- Leeaux: And I just posted wondering where you went! Great stuff.