August 3rd, 2011 | Interviews, Itoi, Uncommon Knowledge

In the latest thing of Iwata Asks, the script writer briefly mention that they consulted with Itoi a little bit when working on Star Fox 64’s text.

Takano: Each character has his or her own role. For example, if you help Peppy the hare, he’ll give you hints here and there, so it works out to your advantage. But if you help Falco the falcon…

Miyamoto: He’s like, “Can’t you go bother someone else?” (laughs)

Takano: That’s what he says, but then he will help out Fox.

Iwata: He’ll help out in a pinch.

Takano: Yeah. And the frog Slippy will show a meter with the bosses’ weaknesses, so if you save your companions, it all comes back to benefit you.

Iwata: That’s a function, too.

Takano: Yes, it is. But it won’t do to emphasize functions too much, so I tried to write lines that are as cool as possible. And I had Mr. Shigesato Itoi look at them once before completion.

Iwata: Oh? What did he say?

Takano: I doubt he remembers it, but I thought he would say, “This is good.” Instead, he said, “It’s like a historical drama.” (laughs)

Iwata: You were trying to make science fiction, but it came out like a historical drama? (laughs)

Takano: Yeah. (laughs) In other words, there were lines like, “Take this with you to Hell!” that everyone would feel comfortable with.

Iwata: Oh, I see. You used set phrases like those in historical dramas.

Takano: Yes. Itoi-san was pointing out how there were a lot of old-fashioned lines like that. But I thought that instead of using completely unfamiliar lines, it would make a bigger impression on the fans to use somewhat tried-and-true lines such as “I’ve been waiting for you!”

“Historical drama” here refers to shows and such set in old samurai days, if it isn’t clear.

Thanks muchly to Tansunn for the tip!

12 Comments to Shigesato Itoi and Star Fox 64

JAMESGHOST said on Aug. 3, 2011

I wonder how much script changing the localising team did when it was translated, it’d be intresting to see a bit of comparison

The Man With No Name said on Aug. 3, 2011

I agree with the JAMESGHOST. Localization comparative between JAP/USA/PAL.

Anonymous said on Aug. 3, 2011

What would really surprise me is if Itoi DIDN’T influence the little 3DS budgies. They’re on the photo and music channels.

There’s a little helper dude when you’re connecting to the Internet, but he just tells you what to do. The budgies talk about their habits, interesting facts, and generally have a ton of personality slipped in with the tips.

It’s pointless, but I find it really fun and charming for some reason. It seems like a really Itoi-like touch to me.

DJMankiewicz said on Aug. 3, 2011

The dialog reminded me of older westerns in a way.

Ginrei said on Aug. 4, 2011

Well the example, “I’ve been waiting for you!” is something Wolf says… I can think of a few lines here and there that fit this idea, that were probably not changed much in translation.

I love these Iwata Asks. They’re so informative!

Dialga Thunderstar said on Dec. 31, 2011

What the heck is Starfox?

RadicOmega said on Dec. 31, 2011

It’s a game that was a epic fail until Star Fox 64. You know: Fox, Felco, Wolf? They are the characters of Star Fox. They released a game for the 3DS, and is still in stores. Try it out! It’s fun!

Dialga Thunderstar said on Jan. 5, 2012

Hmmm… Mabye I will try it.

FlyingManCourage said on Jan. 12, 2012

How was StarFox an epic fail before 64? StarFox for SNES was one of the most popular and advanced games created for SNES. You are very wrong Radic. It sold over 4 million copies for SNES and is one of the best-selling games of all-time for Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

Chhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_gameseck here:

StarFox64 was awesome and so was the SNES game. StarFox64 hit the ground running BECAUSE of the large popularity of the SNES title. Star Fox is now a legitimate heavyweight franchise for Nintendo and it all stems from the popularity of the first two titles.

To answer your question Dialga, it is basically a shooter but done with fantastic personality and a 3D environment. StarFox64 is by far the Flagship title, but if you enjoy SNES games at all I highly recommend you try out StarFox. It does things that most SNES title cannot do. In fact, it was one of the only SNES games to take advantage of that special advanced chip. It and Stunt Race FX are the two titles that come to mind to took advantage of this special hardware. Maybe someone more intelligent than I can explain that aspect more clearly. I can’t even remember what that chip is called at this time.

Dialga Thunderstar said on Jan. 12, 2012

Oh. Thanks. I havent gotten an SNES yet, but I will on Jan. 25, which is my birthday. My mom will probably never let me use an emulator.

FlyingManCourage said on Jan. 13, 2012

Keep in mind, when I say shooter…I mean aircraft-based shooter. The whole “man-with-a-gun” ideal of was just coming to light at this time with games like Goldeneye, but up to that point “shooter” usually meant side-scrolling game where you controlled an airplane of some sort and shot down everything else on screen.

StarFox was a 3D take on this idea. StarFox64 3D is now available for the 3DS. I just picked it up, but I haven’t had time to play it yet. I’m assuming it’s just a 3DS remake of StarFox64 (like Zelda 3D).

Also, as far as I know there is no emulator that will run StarFox. As I mentioned, it took advantage of a special chip that used advanced processing (for its time) to somehow calculate 3D environments. Last I heard (BUT I AM NO EXPERT!), there was no SNES emulator that could handle that task. I believe the chip was actually called the Super FX chip or something along those lines. Look it up on wiki if you wish. It’s actually quite interesting.

Anyways, the good news here is 4 MILLION COPIES, DUDE! Would be almost impossible NOT to find this SNES cart somewhere and it should be affordable. If you are into seeing the different kinds of things old hardware can do, I definitely recommend you pick up StarFox and Stunt Race FX for SNES. Cheers!

BusterTheFox said on Sep. 22, 2012

The PC emulators ZSNES ans SNES9x can both run Star Fox just fine. Most emulators that are run on powerful enough platforms can. I’ve personally played Star Fox on my computer many times, and I have a fifteen-year-old computer. For instance, the DS couldn’t play it. The 3DS most certainly could. So could the PSP. But perhaps not an Android phone. I hope that didn’t confuse you too much. xD

I am also reminded of one of Andross’ lines: “I’ve been waiting for you, Star Fox!”. It’s the first thing he says after you enter that silo.