Shigesato Itoi Fishes for Comedy
In the latest thing of Iwata Asks, the script writer briefly mention that they consulted with Itoi a little bit when working on Star Fox 64’s text.
Takano: Each character has his or her own role. For example, if you help Peppy the hare, he’ll give you hints here and there, so it works out to your advantage. But if you help Falco the falcon…
Miyamoto: He’s like, “Can’t you go bother someone else?” (laughs)
Takano: That’s what he says, but then he will help out Fox.
Iwata: He’ll help out in a pinch.
Takano: Yeah. And the frog Slippy will show a meter with the bosses’ weaknesses, so if you save your companions, it all comes back to benefit you.
Iwata: That’s a function, too.
Takano: Yes, it is. But it won’t do to emphasize functions too much, so I tried to write lines that are as cool as possible. And I had Mr. Shigesato Itoi look at them once before completion.
Iwata: Oh? What did he say?
Takano: I doubt he remembers it, but I thought he would say, “This is good.” Instead, he said, “It’s like a historical drama.” (laughs)
Iwata: You were trying to make science fiction, but it came out like a historical drama? (laughs)
Takano: Yeah. (laughs) In other words, there were lines like, “Take this with you to Hell!” that everyone would feel comfortable with.
Iwata: Oh, I see. You used set phrases like those in historical dramas.
Takano: Yes. Itoi-san was pointing out how there were a lot of old-fashioned lines like that. But I thought that instead of using completely unfamiliar lines, it would make a bigger impression on the fans to use somewhat tried-and-true lines such as “I’ve been waiting for you!”
“Historical drama” here refers to shows and such set in old samurai days, if it isn’t clear.
Thanks muchly to Tansunn for the tip!
Other Related Posts:
12 Comments to Shigesato Itoi and Star Fox 64
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...
- Nessential: The stock is still pending listing, but you can find it on Bloomberg here: https://www.bloomberg.com/quot e/3560:JP I might buy some of...