Game Boy Micro System Mother 3 Deluxe Box Nintendo Japan NEW

August 24th, 2011 | EarthBound, Manga

EBrent has translated a few pages of MOTHER 2 manga for all of us to see:

Off the top of my head I don’t remember which book these come from, though.

Anyway, if you know Japanese and want to help translate more manga for all to enjoy, see this post from a few days ago!

34 Comments to MOTHER 2 Manga Translation, Part 1

BluePSI said on Aug. 24, 2011

XD this is just too funny!
I like “Cheese” and “Exotic fashion” the best XD

Satsy said on Aug. 24, 2011

It comes from the green manga I scanned last week- the first one I scanned. I should have added the cover on that one… My bad!

Karadom said on Aug. 24, 2011

Was the entire manga just these funny little comic strips? I hope so, because I want more of these.

M1997 said on Aug. 24, 2011

I don’t exactly get that last comic’s joke, sadly. All the other ones, however, were awesomely funny!

RandomGuardian said on Aug. 24, 2011

Looks like japan has the same sense of humor as us when it comes to the camera man.

Satsy said on Aug. 24, 2011

Ooh! Specifically, from “A Shonen Oh Volume 2”, or this one:

I’ve actually finished scanning/cleaning “Count 321” and I’ll be uploading that on Friday, if anyone’s interested. It’s got Mother 3 bits in it! 89

Psi gamer said on Aug. 24, 2011

Oh Japan you abd your sense of humor

Kintrex said on Aug. 24, 2011

Oh man, I wish I had a female friend who would do that with me.
..And I guess I’d need a bunch of money too.

EBrent said on Aug. 24, 2011

Satsy, did you clean up that “Shonen Oh” one? Because I didn’t have to. The lettering/editing was surprisingly easy.

Halloween said on Aug. 24, 2011

LOL
It’s rad that they’re so funny, but the last page needs some notes or something (I don’t think I get them, unless the joke is nonsensical).

Satsy said on Aug. 24, 2011

EBrent: A bit, yeah. Can’t remember if I did any alignment work on it, but I’ve been cleaning a few of them as I go (forgot on Believe).

DJMankiewicz said on Aug. 24, 2011

“What the heck, kid?” confuses me. I don’t get it…

As for the rest of them, especially “A taste for exotic fashion”, that boy ain’t right….

Strawberry Tofu said on Aug. 24, 2011

AAAAAH SHANGHAI’D. I was working on that second page the other day to test my translation/photo-editing mettle XD

I suppose if I were to work on more, I’d post them to that other post? (Was that sentence comprehensible at all?)

EBrent said on Aug. 24, 2011

Strawberry Tofu, let’s team up for great justice! I’m working on the 子供の本業 section (p099-p103) right now. I won’t touch the other sections until I’m done with this one.

Same goes to anyone else, I guess.

Hm. A MOTHER manga scanlation team would be awesome…

DJMankiewicz said on Aug. 24, 2011

I love this word “scanlation” and will add it to my vocabulary. Still though, there’s something a little awkward about flipping pages via hyper link as above. It’s probably a lot smoother on some sort of e-reader like a Kindle or iPad.

kenisu said on Aug. 25, 2011

Just letting everybody know, I’ve called dibs on “Believe” (which is up on Satsy’s blog), and I’ll soon have the whole thing ready, so don’t go stealing my thunder! 😀

Strawberry Tofu said on Aug. 25, 2011

Holy poop, look at all this TEAMWORK. It’s enough to move the rusty gears in my cold little robot heart.

I suppose I’ll do “Innocent World,” then. Also, it might be pixellated-looking, but the “Saturn Boing” font will save precious hours of your life. http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/11/ultimate-earthbound-font-pack/

Satsy said on Aug. 25, 2011

If it helps I’ve got a few more doujinshi tidied up, I’m just trying to space out updates. 😛 I forget only 2 are up right now. I’ll put up Boy Meets Girl, which is done by the same person who did Believe.

After that, I’ve got Count 321 ready.

Zoom! said on Aug. 25, 2011

The power of Earthbound Central! 🙂 😀

EBrent said on Aug. 25, 2011

Tofu, if you want a smooth version of the Mr. Saturn font, I have one. It’s not perfect, but it’s a bit nicer than scaling up a pixel font. I uploaded it here:

I hand-wrote (mouse-wrote?) the Mr. Saturn text in that second comic because it was hand-written in the original. But it took forever, so I probably won’t be doing that again.

By the way, I didn’t totally understand the joke in “What the Heck, Kid” either. I’m pretty sure it’s a reference to something I’m not familiar with.

And “The Amazing Spinning Cutie” seems to just be playing off of anime/manga cliches, turning the “photographic genius” into a mysterious bishounen character. I guess that artist is into pop culture references.

The Great Morgil said on Aug. 26, 2011

These are pretty good. I don’t really get “What the Heck, Kid”, but i really like “Cheese” for, heh, obvious reasons.

Shut Up! Don’t judge me!

Anyway, it’s cool that you guys are working on more of these. I normally don’t support scanslations, cuz of the negative impact in has of the manga industry, but an old and rare piece like this probably isn’t even on the English manga producers’ radar, so i don’t think scanslating it will do any harm. I look forward to seeing more in the future.

Satsy said on Aug. 26, 2011

Yeah the mangas are mostly pre-2000 and some of the others, like the doujinshi, I haven’t seen sold outside of eBay in some years now. As it is some of the artists have disappeared off my radar as well, though I am pretty tempted to hunt a few down, if only to keep up with what they’re doing now.

As for ‘What the heck kid’, I think Ness is acting like a pimp, treating Paula like his ‘ho.

EBrent said on Aug. 27, 2011

This thing is done now:

It is the thing you were waiting for, yes?

Satsy said on Aug. 28, 2011

EBrent: Heheheh, Piece of Cake makes me giggle. I’d sort of worked out what was going on, but could never be sure.

Strawberry Tofu said on Aug. 29, 2011

@EBrent: Ah yeah, I remember I used to have that font on my old computer. I wondered where that disappeared to.

“Kids’ Stuff” looks great; I envy your smooth editing abilities on that first page.

ddkl,gfklfglalg said on Aug. 29, 2011

i wish i was the photoman now!

Anonymous said on Aug. 30, 2011

….
…..
How young is Paula again? o.o

Satsy said on Aug. 30, 2011

@Strawberry Tofu:
“Now that PAX is over with, I can get to “Innocent World” again. Also, I have the second volume of the 4Koma Manga Theater thing (the one with the orange cover), so once I have consistent scanner access I can provide that as well.”

That would be amazing. I used to have that, but a few of my mangas went to Angela a few years ago. I think something had been said once about sending them back but I haven’t seen/spoken to Angela in a long while. I do still have the red-cover one of those, and two others that went have hit eBay and its so very tempting to get them again. 😉 But if you can get scans that would be awesome and I can link on the tumblr with alll the credits and and and… yay.

Strawberry Tofu said on Aug. 31, 2011

FINITO

“Innocent World,” my ass- these comics are weeeeeiiiird. Translating the “Adult’s Drink” one made me sort of uneasy for the same reason that “Cheese” is bringing out some odder comments. ;_;

Since I have plenty of spare time before school comes again, I’ll try taking on ブンブーンの逆襲 (the last one) for the sake of trying something that actually has some kind of narrative flow. Cheers!

Strawberry Tofu said on Aug. 31, 2011

Oh, and “Innocent World” was part of the Shonen Oh ones, btw. I don’t know if this was obvious or not but I like to overclarify anyway :/

Kintrex said on Aug. 31, 2011

Okay, since everyone seems to be confused by the last comic, I’ll give a simple explanation. Ness is getting Paula to pretend she’s a prostitute. (And he’s a mean client.)

If you can get your girlfriend to do that for you, you’ve got a keeper.

Zuppermati97 said on Sep. 1, 2011

is mooooooore funny the 2nd part

BigDream said on Sep. 1, 2011

The one where the photo guy came in when Paula was….
was sooo EPIC Fail.
But when she PK’d him, that was priceless!

Zoom! said on Sep. 18, 2011

2nd one with Mr. Saturn and Pokey was the best.

Find Merchandise!