August 18th, 2011 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

I updated the MOTHER 2 vs. EarthBound section with a page about Giygas and the final battle, which you can see here.

Even though we’re now past the final battle, there’s still a lot more work I gotta do until I’m fully done with the comparison stuff. Off the top of my head, I still have to do the entire ending (oh man that’s gonna be a ton of work), item names, adding a lot of new info people have e-mailed me, and who knows what else.

If I’ve skipped over anything in the game that you think warrants more attention though, let me know and I’ll see if I can dig up stuff about it. A lot of the early pages are a lot less detailed/nitpicky than later ones, after all.

39 Comments to M2 vs. EarthBound: Giygas

Anonymous said on Aug. 18, 2011

Is the “IT’S OVER!” a reference to Teen Girl Squad?

joeymartin64 said on Aug. 18, 2011

“Stinkling?” Do you mean “stinking,” or is there a not-quite-real word in the Japanese text, too?

Maybe they left in the mild religious and death references to give the final battle more punch? And/or maybe, since they couldn’t completely avert religious tones because you need to pray, they figured tossing a “Devil” into that part of the game might be fine. I’m probably just overthinking it at that point, though.

Oh, also, something I failes to ask last time. Any significance to the fact that Ness’ Demon speaks only in Katakana?

Crysta said on Aug. 18, 2011

As to Gyiyg versus Giegue , I think its not so much trying to make it sound better as it was hearing the name pronounced and going with that rather than what it actually was. The few old videos about the games i’ve seen the speakers pronounce it similar to “geeg-you”, so theres a possibility its not even on purpose.. it might have been the english team taking things too literally because they couldn’t understand the actual name. Giygas was probably the new team’s attempt to make up for that.

Mato said on Aug. 18, 2011

Anonymous: Yep.

joeymartin64: “stinkling”, it’s a word I made up for Mother 3’s translation. The demon talks in katakana probably to make it seem really bizarre/supernatural/otherworldly or something like that. When I read it I hear a booming voice for some reason.

I added a thing about Giygas and that movie to the page just now, let me know if it’s not clear enough, it’s tough trying to make things clear because somehow casual readers latch on to weird unintended nuances and then spread it all over the place. I want to try to make it as clear as possible here, though.

Amras Felagund said on Aug. 18, 2011

@Mato: When I hear the (Japanese) voice of Ness’s Devil, I hear Ryūzaburō Ōtomo’s performance as Black Doom from Shadow The Hedgehog.

Perhaps, when you do the ending, you could use Chugga A. Conroy’s Ending FAQ, posted on Starmen.Net here:

Crysta said on Aug. 18, 2011

I actually didn’t mean that movie.:p

The one that really pointed it out for me was, iirc, an early preview one for Mother 2 that was on this site about a year ago or so. The one in Japanese about the game from before the major changes to the engine (if i’m really remembering things right, which is questionable at best)… I may not understand the language, but the people very plainly pronouced it “geeg-you” and not “guy-gyoo”. Actually made the change for the original game make more sense.

And sorry for my random conjecture… just me thinking too much about it and wanting to put it to words. 😛

SuperBlooper057 said on Aug. 18, 2011

I like the caption at the end.

joeymartin64 said on Aug. 18, 2011

Possible nitpick here about the movie section. People’s eyes sometimes tend to go right for bullet lists if there are any, so some people skimming that page might see that list of false information, and, failing to read anything around it, mistake it for true information. That obviously wouldn’t be your fault per se, but clarity is the best weapon in combating misinformation, and it wouldn’t hurt to slightly rewrite those points (and the list’s header) with some negative language.

Mato said on Aug. 18, 2011

Good point, I’ll convert them to the opposite.

Crysta: I’m not sure what video you’re talking about, if you can find it let me know.

joeymartin64 said on Aug. 18, 2011

Mato, my man, I really hate to be a pest about this, but now you’ve got a list of true facts referred to in the header as “common misconceptions.” “Here are the facts,” perhaps?

I do apologize for being so picky, but I don’t think it’s possible to be too careful here.

Mato said on Aug. 18, 2011

Thanks, I fixed it.

Zoom! said on Aug. 18, 2011

A good project would be putting most of Mother 2’s dialouge into Earthbound

Skullrama said on Aug. 18, 2011

Huh. Since the power of music is such a relevant theme in Mother, I always thought Giegue’s name was a play on gigue (pronounced jig), a style of music.

…Thank god they didn’t go with ‘The Geek’ as the working name. It would have jived with the early game well enough, but the darkness and impact of the late game stuff wouldn’t have come off well, with Pokey telling us all about how The Geek led him here, and you will not defeat The Geek and stuff.

DJMankiewicz said on Aug. 18, 2011

I’ve already seen the Cinema Snob review of “The Geek”, no thanks on that name.

I’m curious about one thing. There’s a part of Pokey’s speech where he refers to Gygas as “an almighty idiot”. Are there any nitpicky things about that translation? I ask because I’m a fan of HP Lovecraft. There’s a part of the mythos about the most powerful being in his works, Azathoth, who’s also called the “blind idiot god”. Like Gygas, he’s all powerful but is completely mentally gone, simply reeking power that will eventually destroy the universe (the only thing keeping it in check is a song, played for eternity because if it ends, Azathoth wakes up and ends the universe).

I always thought they were very similar and wondered if the original line was supposed to be closer to the Lovecraft description.

DJMankiewicz said on Aug. 18, 2011

Oh, one other thing, Azathoth’s appearance is described as a formless shapeless shifting hideous shape from beyond the stars.

PKJohnny said on Aug. 19, 2011

what a coincidence i just fought giygas today 🙂

Mato said on Aug. 19, 2011

DJMankiewicz: The “all mighty idiot” part is pretty much on par with the Japanese. For reference in case people are interested, the Japanese phrase is: “とんでもない力の大馬鹿野郎さ!ギーグは”.

Nintendofan146 said on Aug. 19, 2011

Could the loss of censorship reflect the sudden dark nature? Like they did it on purpose to shock the player? It seems like what Nintendo would do in Earthbound. Also, the Pokey correcting himself to say “Giygas” is actually a fairly good way to translate the “corruption” of Pokey; by switching to Master Giygas, even with him correcting himself, shows just how much Pokey has been corrupted, while the correction opened it up for MOTHER 3. They probably knew of “Earthbound 64’s” plot, which MOTHER 3 seemed to make Porky less evil and corrupt.

On another note, I guess we’ll never comprehend the true form of the Runaway Five’s name.

Mato said on Aug. 19, 2011

I don’t really follow you – the issue with the “Master” thing was simply one of consistency more than anything. EarthBound handled it inconsistently, only including it when it suddenly became necessary.

Assuming the game was translated in 1994, EarthBound 64 info was still years away – in fact it hadn’t even been announced for a few more years. I don’t think it played a role in the translation.

Tansunn said on Aug. 19, 2011

Even more nit-picky than some of the other stuff pointed out, but in Pokey’s intro speech, you misspelled “perfectly” in the Japanese translation:

“The “Apple of Wisdom” perfeclty predicted that you guys would finally make it here.”

Mato said on Aug. 19, 2011

Many thanks, I’ll fix that.

Mato said on Aug. 19, 2011

Incidentally, I just finished playing the endings to both games and wound up with 2500 screenshots between the two of them total somehow. Just for all the ending stuff, yikes. Gonna take a while to put it all together 😯

shadowdeku said on Aug. 19, 2011

Hmmm…I always thought Giygas’s name was pronounced “gee-gus”, but maybe I’m just crazy. Now I’m curious where the official pronunciation came from.

Mrs. Saturn said on Aug. 19, 2011

Awesome info! I was really looking forward to seeing how things were translated during this stretch of the game.

Anonymous said on Aug. 19, 2011

Isn’t the “ending” mostly additional lines for EVERY SINGLE NPC IN THE GAME?

2500 screen shots? Not surprising.
Mato being dedicated to make 2500 screenshots? …Well, actually, that’s not surprising either.

TheBatFax said on Aug. 19, 2011

I’d’ve totally called Stare-inger/Evil Eye “StareMan.”

DJMankiewicz said on Aug. 19, 2011

I guess what I’m asking is would translating it as “blind idiot god” be just as accurate, or is there no reference to Giygas being blind? I assumed that they used “almighty” as religious censorship, but I could be way off.

Youkai said on Aug. 20, 2011

Nooo! It’s almost over! I’m sad now.

Mato said on Aug. 20, 2011

DJMankiewicz: The Japanese is basically the same as the English, super-duper literally it’s like, “big idiot with enormous power”.

DJMankiewicz said on Aug. 20, 2011

I see, so it was never intended to be an exact quote of Lovecraft mythos. MAYBE an homage to it said Pokey style, if I’m not making a stretch with the connection, but not a quote. Thanks for the info!

Starman 99 said on Aug. 20, 2011

I notice that the ending, which obviously had a lot of attention paid to it, has a ton of dark phrasing that wasn’t written around at all. It seems intentional to me, like maybe the translators really cared about keeping the atmosphere Itoi intended. There’s no way that was just an oversight.

On that note, one question: was there any difference in the battle text during the Giygas fight? He mainly spouts really off-the-wall, disturbing phrases in EB, but I wondered if they were any darker in M2.

I’m kind of disappointed that this is almost over. I’ve always enjoyed reading the trivia in these updates. Still have any plans to do this again with another game?

Mato said on Aug. 20, 2011

Content-wise, it’s basically the same. The way it’s presented in Japanese has more of an eerie effect IMO, from the bizarre syllable sounds, the katakana, and the lack of punctuation/spaces in some lines.

I’m planning on doing this with some NES games in the near future, in fact the only thing holding me back is that I feel obligated to finish this M2/EB comparison stuff first 😛

Chris said on Aug. 21, 2011

Briefly went down the list and noticed something about the “idiot” line by Pokey relating to HP Lovecraft… I always thought this was referring to Doestoevsky (sp) book “The Idiot.”

Anyway, has it even been figured out what the Apple of Enlightenment actually was? There were some theories on the Starmen board but they were all kind of meh.

Mato said on Aug. 21, 2011

The only concrete details we get about it are at the of Magicant: http://earthboundcentral.com/m2eb/magicant/

But I don’t think it’s ever revealed what exactly it is. I know there are lots of theories, but I haven’t really followed them in recent years so I don’t know what ideas there are now.

Zoom! said on Aug. 21, 2011

Very interesting

Zoom! said on Aug. 21, 2011

But sadly M2vsEB is almost over NOOO

Zoom! said on Aug. 21, 2011

ha i’m flip flopping the popular posts 🙂

Anonymous said on Sep. 8, 2011

I’m playing through Infinite Space and it reminded me of your comments on this part. Whether I’m obsessed or these translation notes made an impression, you decide. 😛

Pokey calls Ness and friends the “heroes of so-called justice” here. In Infinite Space, Torlo calls the crew “champions of justice” in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way. Is it a Japanese cliche?

Mato said on Sep. 8, 2011

I don’t think so, at least not any more than it is in English-language stuff. I think it’s probably more common in certain types of media coming from certain types of people though.