Random Post:

Info on MOTHER 4

August 8th, 2011 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

Over on Screw Attack there’s an ongoing video series called Game Theory that looks at games in detail in a way that most normal reviewers don’t. The latest episode is about EarthBound:

If the video doesn’t work for you, try here.

A lot of this stuff might be new to even serious fans, so check it out if you get the time!

28 Comments to EarthBound on Game Theory

MG said on Aug. 8, 2011

Wow, this was really interesting to watch.

Kyosuke said on Aug. 8, 2011

Cool! But I was like WTF when I saw a cosplay photo I had taken at 3:20. :)

Mato said on Aug. 8, 2011

Yeah, I recognize a ton of the pics and art, most taken from Starmen.Net.

Durp676 said on Aug. 8, 2011

That was great. I don’t think I can look at Earthbound the same way.

EarthBound015 said on Aug. 8, 2011

That was pretty amazing :D Cheers!

man said on Aug. 8, 2011

…well.

I had NO idea about the police brutality/Japan cult connections to this game. And I thought I knew everything about this game.

Goddammit, I’m going to have to play it for the eleventh time.

Too bad the only thing that people talked about in the Screw Attack comments section were the ep1c bewbies lol xP

Such a damn great video, you don’t often get them like these, where they are done in such a manner that they finally click at the end, leaving you with a sense of elation, wonderment and enlightenment, as you GET the point that the creator of the video was trying to convey. There are three other videos that have left me with this feeling:

– Egoraptor’s Castlevania 1 and 2 comparison
– Xoxak’s review of Mars Matrix
– andreweisen’s video on Nintendo and localisation

You can find these videos by searching on YouTube.

This comment is long.

The Great Morgil said on Aug. 8, 2011

@ man:

I tried checking out those three videos you mentioned. The first one was interesting. The second one i skipped cuz i’ve never heard of “Mars Matrix”. The third one i couldn’t find. Do you have a link?

Sillik said on Aug. 8, 2011

Can somebody put a link to that Fourside Dept Store fan art (near the end)? Awesome video, by the way :)

man said on Aug. 8, 2011

@TheGreatMorgil Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_yZvmzLOQ

DD said on Aug. 8, 2011

Well, that was interesting. I never connected the dots between the Happyism cult and Aum Shinrikyo.

Mato said on Aug. 8, 2011

I mention it on my M2 vs. EB stuff here too: http://earthboundcentral.com/m2eb/happy-happy-village/

PikachuMan said on Aug. 8, 2011

Something I hadn’t even considered until this guy mentioned that the game is about growing up: that “fetus” inside Giygas is Ness’ childhood.

This idea could be confirmed by the fact that Giygas first uses Ness’ face as a form.

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT.

Kyle said on Aug. 8, 2011

very enjoyable video – thanks for posting!

Damian said on Aug. 8, 2011

I may finally play this game all the way to the end now. The only Mother game I’ve finished is 3 but this looks like it’s full of the same humour and novelty.

Trig said on Aug. 9, 2011

They definitely did their research well. I have never heard a better summary of what Itoi was aiming for before now. That was quite touching… Props to them.

Alex said on Aug. 9, 2011

Great video

KingEnigma said on Aug. 9, 2011

Awesome video, fascinating stuff–

Qiezei said on Aug. 9, 2011

@PikachuMan: I always thought it was just Ness’ face reflecting back at him from a giant eye. :/ And holy dakota, that chest.

RandomGuardian said on Aug. 9, 2011

I see what you did there mr. “Tagging weekly round up” Mato ;)

Mato said on Aug. 9, 2011

Oops, thanks, didn’t notice that. I meant to choose Videos instead :P

? said on Aug. 10, 2011

Brought to you by Google image search

DragonBattousai said on Aug. 11, 2011

Did NOT know about that negative space looking like a fetus when fighting Giygas. That has completely changing my perspective on the boss now.

Jorpho said on Aug. 11, 2011

Man, it almost makes me want to go back and play the game again. Why the heck hasn’t Nintendo rerelased this yet?

Lots of nifty fanart in there, but I’m actually most curious about the pic of bike car blowing into the bicycles. Was that real..?

Uvaz said on Sep. 18, 2011

That was dumb and annoying. The guy should have made a documentary on the cult instead.

Hmmm, I feel like reading a post by Giovanni to wake up my brain again.

AltoMaximus said on Jan. 9, 2012

Tons of people do this to EarthBound.
In my eyes this isn’t anything new.
But I didn’t relize that the Captain Strong part was based on that police masicure.

Uvaz:
Who the heck is Giovnni and what made him popular here?
I’ve heard his name but I don’t understand.

GiegueFanboy said on Feb. 24, 2012

@AltoMaximus

Giovanni is a Starmen.net member famous among the Earthbound community for his long, well thought out, insightful, and believable theories. Ever hear that theory that the hotdog vendor from MOTHER 3 is Ness? Giovanni popularized that concept. Seriously, he’s like the ultimate Earthbounder. Other than Tomato, of course.

Ness1985 said on Apr. 19, 2012

This is brilliant…just, brilliant. *tears up*

Ring064 said on Jan. 27, 2013

ahh i like these videos…